How to contribute centralized

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

klauss wrote:The entire code is commented with ideas, TODOs, FIXMEs, and stuff like that. I sometimes write an entire header's worth of comments about how things work.

What's annoying and boring, is having to redo all that work in the wiki. I hear you, it should be done. It's more accessible in the wiki. But it doesn't change the fact that it's annoying.
Ther's a WORLD of difference between comments in code and the stuff you want on the wiki.

In the wiki you just want an overview of features being worked on. Like massive asteroid fields or ship model names or something like that. It really comes into it's own on things like cooperatively creating the storyline(s).

Or if you have written a detailed comment you think should be up somewhere more accessible, hell, just copy and paste it into the wiki.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Copy and paste is ugly. But I see your point: better than nothing. Yes, you're right. What can I say?

And, yes... I was referring to detailed comments, the kind that span whole pages. Pretty good example in command.h - it's not mine, but still that's my style.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Thanks. I found another way, by experimenting: Looking at the id_no=xx number in the location bar, for the page, and counting down to the post, from that number; but it displays a page with that post at the top.
Actually, I found that way (the one I told you about) by browsing the source. I hadn't noticed that link, I just thought it was a marker for read/unread posts. When I was writing the reply, I started browsing the code (trying to figure out a better way than the one you found out, which is the one I was trying to explain in the post), and then I saw an anchor (the <a href="") that looked a lot like a post link. But I couldn't see it in the page, so I started: where is it? Finally, I found it: the sheet icon. Pure chance. It's quite an obscure interface, I would at least add a tooltip in that icon, and the better way would be a big button saying "Link to this post" or something like that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe