About the orion ship

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

About the orion ship

Post by Fireskull »

I dont have enough time to test stuff as much as I want, so these observations were made while I was flying a galaxy ( how can I make observations about a ship without flying it? *shrugs* ^_^ )

What I noticied is that there are upgrades up to level 5 to sell, then it jumps to 8 and 9, skipping 6 and 7. I dont know if with a Orion this would be different, so I am sorry if upgrades show up to buy if you change your ship. I am very very busy RL and I cant test things as I really want to.

The galaxy is able to upgrade up to level 4, but since a Orion doesnt has level 6 and 7, its left at a disavantage.

For many reasons, I think those should be buyable from the beginning of the game. The orion just -needs- those two upgrades to be a effective ship. Without them it has about as much defensive power as a galaxy ( more armor yes, but its front turret inst placed in a exactly defensive spot, and its a really big ship too ), meaning it will be toasted in fights against many light fighters.

Seeing how those upgrades are darned expensive, I think its all fair.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Level 6 and 7 are unlocked when you start the RF campaign (along with isometal armor, etc.)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Thats cool.

But whats the point? :P

And dont forget: Both the galaxy and the centurion are able to upgrade up to lv 4 without doing the campagin, in the original they only had it up to lv 3 and only had 4 with RF.

This makes the orion significantly weaker compared to the other 2 ships. I say we just allow 6 and 7 to be readily available.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

meow ^^; i must have goofed somewhere, you're only supposed to get to level 3 with the centurion and level 3 shield level 2 reaction for the galaxy... (the downgrade is because it's a merchant ship afterall, AND you have two automatic turrets with their own little reactor)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I highly disagree. Try going against three talons in a galaxy ( in medium difficult, easy or easiest is cheating against the AI :P )... you will agree with me that a level 3 reactor is very necessary for it to survive, even with turrets. Or since the best paying cargo runs are in dangerous sectors, close to the front, try going against two dralthis in it :P You need a good reactor for big guns and big shields.

To top, upgrading your shield beyond your reactor was never effective. At least in the original, shields would usually begin to fail if you pushed a one level down reactor too much. Essentialy, the galaxy would then have a level 2 shield, in a very easy to hit ship. The galaxy is the biggest ship you can pick and, besides the tarsus, the slowest.

I will be honest: I would just either buy a orion ( cheaper and will allow me to stay alive ) or edit the galaxy back to level 3 reactor :P