Nano-plague questions

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Nano-plague questions

Post by Miramor »

This is treading a bit far into suspension of disbelief territory, but how is the nano-plague supposed to tell the difference between "nanotech" of organic and inorganic origins? If it targets any sort of nanoassembler, for instance, then how would it not target human ribosomes?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Shortest version: The techbase that created the nano-plague is >= a few tens of millions of years beyond humanity's. (Invocation of Clarke's third law)

Short version: The nano-plague was created by entities that A) were sufficiently advanced that UtCS-era extant species still can't figure out how the things really work except in broad characterizations (forms colonies, probably has collective AI capabilities, reacts violently to attempts to eradicate it, individual entities operate from unknown power source, etc.) and B) apparently didn't consider most (note, not all) organics to be a target.

Spoiler-teaser version: The extant species finally figure out (some of) what the nano-plague was actually designed for (more or less) in another few centuries from the UtCS era, although they still won't know how it actually works (See, again, Clarke's third law). If you're interested in wandering into spoiler-ville, we can take further discussion of the nano-plague off-line.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

After reading through all the material I could find, I still did not find a concise description of what the nano-plague *is* or *does* in the context of what is known in the UtCS era.

It... eats nanites?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Prevents them from working properly somehow. Like the melding plague in Alastair Reynold's (asskicking) novels, although from what I gather it's a bit more targeted and a bit less perverse.
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MostlyconfusedFPSer »

...What the hell are you talking about?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just the history of the vegastrike universe :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MostlyconfusedFPSer »

o....k...... *steps off camera awkwardly*