Rlaan ship definitions

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Rlaan ship definitions

Post by wtrmute »

Hello, this is primarily directed to JackS, who wrote the master Rlaan ship list, but anyone who knows is more than welcome to answer. I've been looking at aforementioned list and I'm not sure I grasp some of the ship descriptions. I searched both the forums and the wiki and, not seeming to find anything related, am seeking illumination here.

Here goes:
1. Aidi(Rlaan Passenger Puddle Jumper)
I assume a Puddle Jumper's a ship that is able to jump once, and then must refuel at a station. If I'm correct, why would the Rlaan build a ship that doesn't have enough fuel to recharge its jump capacitors in-flight? Modern reactors are pretty efficient, and a little amount of reactant generates a lot of energy. Or am I totally off base?
6. Chudi(Rlaan Resupply Ship)
I thought "flight tender" role was resupply. Is it geared then towards resupplying larger vessels, like space stations, or what?
20. Shangdi(Rlaan Bulk Transport)
21. Shenzong(Rlaan Cargo mover)
I thought these two would be the same role... Is the Cargo Mover more like a tug, moving cargo along outside of its hull, and the Bulk Transport keeps cargo inside its hull? If so, why is the difference important enough to merit different roles? Or is "Bulk Transport" a pretty way of saying "container"?
22. Shizong(Rlaan Light Equalizer Ship)
31. Yindi(Rlaan Equalizer Extermination Craft)
32. Zhaozong(Rlaan Heavy Equalizer Ship)
What's an Equalizer ship? I suppose it's a kind of warship, since the Yindi is built to exterminate it. Is it a sort of capship? Fightercraft? What does "equalizing" entail?

Regardless of anyone having the answers, I appreciate the attention dispensed :)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

wtrmute wrote:
1. Aidi(Rlaan Passenger Puddle Jumper)
I assume a Puddle Jumper's a ship that is able to jump once, and then must refuel at a station. If I'm correct, why would the Rlaan build a ship that doesn't have enough fuel to recharge its jump capacitors in-flight? Modern reactors are pretty efficient, and a little amount of reactant generates a lot of energy. Or am I totally off base?
Puddle jumper is a local colloquialism for small commuter aircraft. Hence, I applied the term to an in-system Rlaan passenger craft.
wtrmute wrote:
6. Chudi(Rlaan Resupply Ship)
I thought "flight tender" role was resupply. Is it geared then towards resupplying larger vessels, like space stations, or what?
The flight tenders in VS are only suited to service and resupply of small vessels. The Chudi is a large-scale militarized cargo vessel that plays a significant role in the Rlaan supply chain, carrying cargo that is then distributed to the capital and sub-capital vessels in the fleet, such as the flight tenders.
wtrmute wrote:
20. Shangdi(Rlaan Bulk Transport)
21. Shenzong(Rlaan Cargo mover)
I thought these two would be the same role... Is the Cargo Mover more like a tug, moving cargo along outside of its hull, and the Bulk Transport keeps cargo inside its hull? If so, why is the difference important enough to merit different roles? Or is "Bulk Transport" a pretty way of saying "container"?
The bulk transport carries goods from point of interest to point of interest.
The cargo mover moves cargo containers to and from vessels such as the Shangdi, receiving yards, etc.
wtrmute wrote:
22. Shizong(Rlaan Light Equalizer Ship)
31. Yindi(Rlaan Equalizer Extermination Craft)
32. Zhaozong(Rlaan Heavy Equalizer Ship)
What's an Equalizer ship? I suppose it's a kind of warship, since the Yindi is built to exterminate it. Is it a sort of capship? Fightercraft? What does "equalizing" entail?
The Equalizers are a Rlaan subgroup with role similar to a policing force. Of the three craft specific to their function, only the Yindi applies lethal force, whereas the Shizong and Zhaozong seek to disable vessels found in contradiction to local statutes. The Zhaozong swings the bulk of actual enforcement duties, with the more nimble Shizong performing patrols, sweeps, and interdiction. The Yindi is only seen in more sensitive or troubled areas (e.g. near Saahasayaay settlements and near borders) or when summoned by other equalizer vessels (think S.W.A.T. team).
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D

Another question:

Who made the previous rlaan models? If ever I get the itch to make some rlaan thingies, I'd like to have the original rlaan textures so they'd still look the same. Salvaging from the units folder just is not enough. :D I can email them[him], for a request. :wink: thnx
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Oblivion wrote::D

Another question:

Who made the previous rlaan models? If ever I get the itch to make some rlaan thingies, I'd like to have the original rlaan textures so they'd still look the same. Salvaging from the units folder just is not enough. :D I can email them[him], for a request. :wink: thnx
Howard E. Day
wtrmute
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wtrmute »

Whoa, that was quick. Thanks for the reply, I get a much clearer picture now.

The Rlaan supply chain seems to obey a hierarchy: the large ship carries the cargo/fuel 99% of the way and the smaller ships handle that last mile and the distribution.

About the equalizers, that's a neat piece of information, but I don't think there's currently in VS any way to disable a ship without blowing it to smithereens. Unless, of course, one does the "alien abduction" routine, but the Wudi is already the Ship Impound (Transport, but I figure that it should probably capture the ships itself, too). That's especially true in the case of the Shizong, which is probably too light to fit a ship inside it, anyway.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Can't find Howard E. Day anywhere. His name's not clickable on the wiki. has he been banned? :?: Anyone knows his email? Email me. Thanks. I need the Rlaan textures. :wink:

astepintooblivion at yahoo.com

@wtrmute: I didn't know what a puddle-jumper was too. Thanks for asking the questions. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I'm sure somebody knows it. Here's the account he made when we disabled guest posting:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &u=1000973

Do a web search. you'll probably find him around. I think he's working on a wing commander project now.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Web search should be the best. He hasn't noted any contacts in this forum. Perhaps in crius.net?

Here is his profile, if you want to see it.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

No contact info there at all.

:( I wasn't a contemporary, so I don't know if he was from the WCUers or not. Does this mean, all new Rlaan ships will look different? ugh. :roll:

Didn't howard submit original textures along with the models? :?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I'm not sure that everyone textures in the same way that you do, oblivion. He may not have any "original textures", that might be it. But it couldn't hurt to ask.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

hehe :wink: "original" as in unsullied purity.

Anyway, There really is no contact info in his profile. So, I think, we'll have to settle for creating texture look-alikes for rlaan ships in the future. :(
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,