Main story line based on Asimov's novel

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
zoozo
Explorer
Explorer

Main story line based on Asimov's novel

Post by zoozo »

It is not an easy task to write a really good main storyline, for a game.
I think VS (as many today rpg games) should have post-modern story telling method. I mean, there is a main story line, and several smaller mini stories. The player can solve local conflicts, make smaller or larger quests, freely. But there 'd be a main story line to make VS a cool game.
Asimov was a very good sci-fi writer. Even now, some of their novels are unbeatable. One of the best of them is the Foundation and Empire. The part when Bayta, Toran, Ebling Mis and Magnifico travels together in the galaxy, escaping from the Mule (a new psychic ruler of galaxy) and seeking the second foundation is brilliant. (None of them knew that one of them was the Mule).
Of course Asimov's world different from VS world. There are no alien species in that novel, etc. But a similar base story'd be great for VS as main storyline.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

why a story at all?

what is wrong with 'you are in the middle of nowhere with a pretty weak ship&money. Some wars are going on. You can fight, trade, spy as you like. Your goal: stay alive'

?
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

Because stories happen.

Now what I would be interesed in is some type of simple scriptable stories/missions. Basic story/missions trees with scriptable names, ships, factions, etc... So even the scripted missions have a fair amount of automation involved. That way no matter what faction you are involved with you have a good chance to experence interesting and complex story like interaction.
Average Earthman
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Average Earthman »

Doesn't have to be a galaxy shattering story that will make your name known throughout all species. Just something to do other than shoot random bad guys.

A thought has occured to me - would it now be quite possible to set a course that requires skill as well as a fast ship to navigate as quick as possible? In other words - could we have spaceship racing?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:arrow: :arrow: SEE (points)

They Agree! A story!
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

lol@ oblivion

as the game is in 0.4.3, its kind of like life.... you have no real purpose, and you cant affect anything much of anything in the universe. you can only get as much as you can before you die, an maybe youll be in the news once in awhile.... some people will like you, some will hate you... but youre not really sure why at first.... (maybe this belongs in the OT poetry thread.... if i only could write poetically ;) )

so in that sense... i think its pretty cool.... :)

but most ppl like to play games or watch movies about things that are larger than life to escape the meaningless of thier little lives, and to effect LARGE changes by their simple existance... (ok... um... i didnt mean for it to sound THAT bad... :D )

im sure a story is on the way... and i think anyone who has a story to tell should be able to put it in as a side quest at some point too... hopefully these will be realized sometime in the far off nebulous future... :D
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I think there are two planned singleplayer modes.
  1. Free play mode, which is what we have now. Players go about their daily lives as they see fit.
  2. Story mode, where players assume the role of Deucalion and follow him on his journey.
You can ask jackS for more details. That's about all I know, other than what I read in the (possibly apocryphal) backstory documents.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Sunfire:
if i only could write poetically
Try watching sunsets, rainbows, flowers abloom, milkmaids a-milkin', cows a-mooin', and the moon up above. :wink:

It should help develop a poetic flare. Especially if you try those with a good smack on the head. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Sunfire:
Try watching sunsets, rainbows, flowers abloom, milkmaids a-milkin', cows a-mooin', and the moon up above. :wink:

It should help develop a poetic flare. Especially if you try those with a good smack on the head. :lol:

JackS has already cleared the Deucalion story up. :) Looking forward to it getting completed. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Oblivion wrote:Sunfire:
:shock: *SMACK*
all these things i have seen,
and a milkmaid i have been
cows that moo
have made me go cu-coo
flowers in bloom
are way better than any cloth of the loom
rainbows are gay
in their beautiful way
sunsets display beautiful parts of the visible spectrum
and i have no desire to correct them
the moon up above
fills me with love
but to me it never comes out right
and it always sounds way too trite.
:lol:
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

ummm.... you should probably smack a little harder. I tried a hammer once, and afterwards, I rewrote the Illiad! :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
ollobrains
Trader
Trader

Post by ollobrains »

hopefully branching storylines might be considered ( would require some free form flow and affect but mgiht be doable) perhaps solar system specific storylines as well
darthbob88
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by darthbob88 »

You mean one of those "Choose your own adventure" type deals? Might be nice; should probably include something related to the Aera-Rlaan war and interfaction relationships.
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

I write poetry!

Post by grendel0226 »

I wrote poetry a lot. I didn't think that I could contribute much to this project, but I guess maybe I can. The links to both of my poetry profiles are as follows:

http://www.poetly.com/members/hex

http://www.darkpoetry.com/dp/hex

I also draw some things every once in awhile. Mostly good at replicating art by hand (seems pointless in this project).
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx for the offer grendel0226 if your poems catch jackS's fancy he will PM you :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

For the record, I can write on just about anything if I have enough info. Both Tachyon and most of the cyberpunk sub-genre inspire me to do a lot of things, as far as sci-fi goes. I was reading through the documentation with the game, and I can't remember which alien race it was that was considered primitive and primal (which I'm going to check as soon as I find out how), but that would be something I'd love to write an epic-like poem on.

Since I usually write to music, the game music would probably offer a very good meter to go by, and a general mood to write by. Is there any way there could be a playlist or something for that?
swright
Explorer
Explorer

Post by swright »

I don't know about a main storyline, but I would like to see some better banter from the enemy/friendly ships. I'm tired of hearing, 'Hello there!' and 'how's business?' .... and the famous 'You honor-less serpent!'

Actually, I would have sworn that there was an underlying storyline, some greater design, behind the actions of the factions, (and no, I'm no poet...) until I recently read that it is just a product of the dynamic AI of the afformentioned factions. Incredible piece of work there, I was utterly amazed.
JimiJons
Trader
Trader

Post by JimiJons »

Oblivion wrote:ummm.... you should probably smack a little harder. I tried a hammer once, and afterwards, I rewrote the Illiad! :D
I tried a hammer once... I woke up a couple weeks later at Anderson hospital...

But I rewrote the Odyssey! :wink:
JimiJons
Trader
Trader

Post by JimiJons »

The story most definitely needs to have major involvement in the Human-Aeran war, as it most directly relates to Decaulion (being that he is Human and is originally from Andolian/Klkk space). It should eventually reveal some Rlaan plot to have both the Aera and the Humans destroy each other through relentless full-scale war, escalated by further Rlaan actions and secret framed-sabotages, so that, once both nations are weakened enough, the Rlaan can invade and conquer both empires. The Aeran and Human forces than join forces to confront the new Rlaan threat, fighting a new war. Eventually, after lots of stuff, the war results in a stalemate. Decaulion, at this point being some sort of important and famous figure, leads a final secret assault on the Rlaan homeworld to force a surrender. Of course, for the sake of keeping the Rlaan a continued race, a pact or accord would be made to permanently end the war, having divided a portion of Rlaan space between the Humans and Aera (presumably more for the Aera), thus settling their territorial disputes. The Rlaan would remain a powerful faction, but greatly reduced, with their own personal defense forces produced under controlled and supervised conditions (sort of like the Japanese after World War 2).

Gaizus... I just made that up all off the top of my head... lol.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

If people are interested in taking a look at planned story directions, they can PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send them a copy of the Universe Development Document.