Zamfir Plays The Greatest Hits From Vega Strike

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
SGCharest
Merchant
Merchant

Zamfir Plays The Greatest Hits From Vega Strike

Post by SGCharest »

It's not enough that I've played this damned game until I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome (don't worry, you're immune from suit, I already checked :P ); now I would like to assemble the music.

Is it permissible to convert the music on the files from OGG to MP3 for personal use only? Is that covered under Gnu?

Or maybe there's already a "Greatest Hits" file out there somewhere?

Oh, yeah, I went back n bought another Goddard. It don't get no better.

sgc
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Sure, you can use the music under both the GPL and Creative Commons NonCommercial ShareAlike (allowing you to modify, display, and perform the music wherever you like as long as you don't make money off it, and license any derivatives under CC-NC-SA as well if you plan to release them.)

There might be some transcoding loss from going to OGG (a lossy format) to MP3 (another lossy format), but you probably won't notice this much unless you are a major audiophile. :D

If you are concerned, there may be some MP3 masters around somewhere... I believe that there are also masters in a lossless format somewhere (wav or aiff) but you'd probably have to ask for them.

The third option is to buy the Vega Strike CD, which comes with CD-quality tracks (but it might be a bit outdated, I'm not sure.)