Vegastrike character art needs historic background

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Vegastrike character art needs historic background

Post by klauss »

My syster, who's a great cartoon artist, would be willing to draw the characters for both the fixers and the comm animations.

She needs some background info. Mostly, physical descriptions of the different races, dialogue lines (can be taken from the game), and that kind of stuff.

Most important is a background. So... I know everyone in this forum is defining the vegastrike universe as we speak. Any links to documents, stories, or mainly whatever there is about vegastrike's universe?

And she would also need some style guidelines: what kind of cartoon? comic cartoon? privateer-like? photoreal (as much as a cartoon can be that)? freestyle?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

There's a nice article on http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... tile_Guild --- but that's probably not exactly what she needs?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Although only a thorough examination can give the right answer, a temptive one would be:

No. The info she needs is more of the sort of physical appearance, personality, interests (there is something about it there), and such.

As an example: one would picture the luddites similar to WCU's retros: fanatic, full of expression (and anger). That kind of picture is what she needs, about other factions. With, if possible, some more detail (otherwise, I'm sure she can fill in the blanks).
Wing Commander Universe
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

I'm afraid, it's sorrow examination then, for the Merchants. My impression is that they would be utterly rich, utterly ignorant of other factions interests, quite hideous, very patient and enduring in their pursuits, opportunistic when it suits their purposes and very preconceiving, sometimes even cautious, when it comes to maintain and endure their profits and their overall control on the long run. They would never be able to tolerate any competitors, no matter how much freedom they would have to take away from the people involved. Their kind would be most arrogant, but very well able to hide that because it would lessen their profits and make them more clear to members of other factions.

I'd even say that only a very few of them would know that they are such terrible folks because they would be so proud to be Merchants, proud of being so successful and proud because of --- or out of --- their history. They are, as a matter of facts, in full control of the Confederation, and if the Confederation would pretend to be democratic or to be some outcome of a political movement, that won't be true because it is a child and a slave of the Merchants they make use of at their will.

Such a child is a very useful thing, as it will, with great intrinsic motivation, fight the enemies of the Merchants to their or its own death when set up to that, or do anything else, and it will nonetheless not ever feel enslaved. Appropriately soothing that child is the major talent of the Merchants, and though such a skill was developed for the purposes of trade in the very beginning, that skill, on a more farreaching level, has been turned into the invisible chains the Merchants have brought about an otherwise free part of the universe.

And their guild reminded me very much of Microsoft ...

YMMV, but I wouldn't want to have to do with them :)

Does that help at all? I'm getting curious how such a Merchant will look like :)

(And we should put this into the Wiki ...)

PS: Have you ever heard of the Hanse[1]? Maybe paintings of people of that time can give some inspiration, but there weren't many I could find[2].

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanse
[2]: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/mittelalter ... ufmann.jpg

BTW, Münster[3], which once membered the Hanse, is not far from where I live :)

[3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%FCnster
Last edited by lee on Mon May 02, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I remember that COJL was re-drawing all the fixers, so we should make sure that work isn't getting duplicated. Maybe when we get a more expansive single-player campaign she could draw some of the campaign-specific characters.

Either way, I'd wait for jackS to give you (or point you to) the "official" character details.
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

Halleck wrote:I remember that COJL was re-drawing all the fixers,
Hm, I wonder how the merchant over there would look when attending a secret meeting of the Guild :)
Either way, I'd wait for jackS to give you (or point you to) the "official" character details.
What about the Forsaken? I'd eventually like to try my writing skills on their description, if jackS points me into the right direction. I've been a Merchant until reading his article about them ;) Now I need another faction to join ...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, wait then.

Whenever she's needed, post in this thread and she'll get the message.
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Lee: I liked your description very much.
They should be on the wiki, if jackS cant point out the general direction.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I remember when I used to live in L.A., one day I was walking in Hollywood and this guy driving a Rolls Royce passed by, very slowly, full of jewelry, gold collars, and his left hand hanging out the window to show rings with precious stones of different colors on each finger, including the thumb. Just the image that came to my mind reading the description of the merchant faction ... :D
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I'll try to get back to you on this topic in a reasonable time-frame, but I should be honest and admit that I'll be somewhat busy for the next 2-3 weeks with moving (for the summer) and otherwise preparing (formulating appropriate research topics) for my internship.
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

lee wrote:Hm, I wonder how the merchant over there would look when attending a secret meeting of the Guild :)
Old, of course, and cunning like the devil itself :)

@klauss: at last, some relief from the pressure 8) (in this and other projects, check your PMs.) Sure, I'd rather finish that confed pilot (pending military grades and insignia data from the MoI) and keep the reworked fixers they're based on a lot of data (with just a bit of artistic freedom) from the MoI over time, but other than that, I'd like to see her work.

Merchants, IIRC, belong to different classes. From the highest who won't leave their comfy seats (a true burgeois sort that gives the ISO quite an itch) to the suspicious middleman to the haulers. If she wants to do merchants, there's plenty of room.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@CoJL: Checked PMs already.

I think she's more inclined to pirates, she's been having fun with that. (Some of them with a VS version of parrots).
Wing Commander Universe
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Vegastrike character art needs historic background

Post by pifactorial »

klauss wrote: She needs some background info. Mostly, physical descriptions of the different races, dialogue lines (can be taken from the game), and that kind of stuff.

Most important is a background. So... I know everyone in this forum is defining the vegastrike universe as we speak. Any links to documents, stories, or mainly whatever there is about vegastrike's universe?
Here are some old docs:
General history
Factions
Species

Of course, click the number in the "Rev." column to view the document.