A Quick question about Aera aesethitics...

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
f1gm3nt3d
Trader
Trader

A Quick question about Aera aesethitics...

Post by f1gm3nt3d »

...Or mire to the point what would their space craft be like? In terms of design and materials ect. The existing craft are quite blocky, but I don't know if that was delibrite or just a limitation of technology at the time. I'd like to go and model + re-model some ships but I can't do that until I know how they're intended to look, that and I'm curious.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: A Quick question about Aera aesethitics...

Post by pontiac »

I can only quote JackS in this post ( a bit shortened):
Do use the 3 models we have for the fighters as inspiration - don't use the aera capships we have (noting that they're all scheduled for being rennovated)
From the 3 models we do have, take away that the Aera ships, in contrast to the human models which are clearly built up out of parts, have an aura of "carved out of some grea singlet mass" (to wax perhaps too overly poetic) This is not to say that they actually were, but that the craftsman's aesthetic for Aera ships is somewhat different than that of the human designers
jackS wrote:
pontiac wrote:
I will see what i can do to fit it more into this description ...

What about modular designs, everal parts per ship/unit?
See the various examples in this post.
it's not expressly an issue of modular design as much as the aesthetic of the exhibited modularity - more of modern unibody-construction versus a 1960s VW Beetle. Or perhaps more aptly, that all ships are composed of modular parts, but that one can have otherwise modular parts with a custom finish, or one can have something that was clearly built, so to speak, out of a snap-fit model kit. The Aera don't have scores of competing companies producing different models at the same time, just scores of designers competing to produce the next universally adopted model. Modularity in an Aera ship would be at the macro and micro scale - internal parts, and external subunits - but each piece should be blissfully ... whole - I'm sure I can come up with a better description if I sleep on it, but.. this is what stream-of-consciousness gets me
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm thinking Terran design vs Protoss design in Starcraft...
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
cshank4
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cshank4 »

spiritplumber wrote:I'm thinking Terran design vs Protoss design in Starcraft...

Hrm, I guess that would be in the same ballpark, but the Toss ships look like they're produced, which they are. I think what the team wants are ships with sweeping features, no grooves or rivets visible, Organic looking if you will. (Not so organic as the Rlaan.)
Moon hangs around
a blade over my head
reminds me
what to do before I’m dead
night consumes light
and all I dread
reminds me what to do before I’m dead
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Essentially:
Human ships are built (sum of the parts)
Rlaan ships are grown (very organic)
Aeran ships are molded (built of a single piece)

This is how it seems to me. Molded ships are a good idea in my opinion anyway.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.