Q&A GB (or something like it, given the mailbox is empty

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Q&A GB (or something like it, given the mailbox is empty

Post by jackS »

Q: Why so long between Q&A Grab bag posts?

A: Two reasons -
1: insufficient questions to sustain weekly postings actually answering questions.
2: Finals :-P

Q: What have you (the developers) done for me lately?
A: Well... if you've looked in CVS lately, you'll have seen a slew of changes in the data set. We've rolled in a new geometry file format. ~ 105 megs of Xmesh got turned into ~ 19 megs of BFXM. BFXM are not only smaller, they're much easier to parse, and consequently load much more quickly. They're also nicer in that they support a superset of the features of Xmesh.

Q: So VS is all instant loady now?
A: No. As one might expect, meshes aren't the only thing that VS loads. However, disk pauses, while still (as of yet) occurring just as frequently, (grumble, grumble) will tend be rather shorter than before, and initial load time should be visibly reduced.

Q: So... what have YOU done for me lately?
A: Well, aside from working on the above, and looking into another couple of optimization issues I won't bother to bore people with, ummm... probably not too much. See #2 from answer to first question.

Q: Ship list progress?
A: Minimal...

Q: Backstory progress?
A: I've got some stuff to finalize about the Klk'k, the liberation of K'tah (including why there's a monument featuring a one armed Andolian with a katana in the middle of the capital city), and some other random tidbits about other groups... but nothing I'd consider ready for prime-time yet.

Q: Why don't the Aera and Humans use nasty bio-weapons against each other?
A: Because slaughtering entire civilian populations would (begin massive understatement) not sit well with the Rlaan. The Aera wouldn't survive a simultaneous attack from both the Human and Rlaan fronts, and the Humans don't want to risk the possibility of causing the Rlaan to become sufficiently suspicious of Human valuing of civilian life that the Rlaan feel themselves compelled to lauch a pre-emptive assault on Humanity to prevent the same from being done to them, before the Rlaan's distinct advantage in genetic research can be overcome. Basically, the Rlaan already greatly dislike the Aera, and have long seen the Humans as potentially dangerous, if currently beneficial partners, and neither the Humans nor the Aera have any interest in changing Rlaan misgivings into Rlaan Fleets - at least not now.

Q: So... as there weren't any grab bag questions this week, you've really just been talking to yourself...
A: That's not really a question, but yes. :D
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hey...I've sent you two!.......

can't find one of them....so I'm just resending the second instead :-)

Dan.a
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

dandandaman wrote:hey...I've sent you two!.......

can't find one of them....so I'm just resending the second instead :-)

Dan.a
Well, now that you've sent them to the _designated_ mailbox, I'll answer them next week :)
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

You should make another post from the mailbox account, like at the end of every issue of the mail grab bag so people with questions don't have to track down that initial post.
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

or maybe a stickied, locked thread from the "user" of that mailbox so we can pm that account conveniently?

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by richard »

I've been lurking around these formums for a while now, and I have *no idea* what this mailbox you're talking about is...
Gamer, Python programmer
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

jacks has started this mailbox grab bag where ppl can send him specific questions about the VS universe and he'll answer them/attack the user in a mildly humerous and denigrating way much like a modern talkshow

ok so I lied
he doesn't attack the user who sent the posts
but his responses are usually humerous and worth reading
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by richard »

I've seen the responses, and I find them quite enlightening, interesting and quite often fun too to read.

I've just never known where to put the questions.

Ehem. I've just noticed the <sarcasm>obviously</sarcasm> named "re: What mailbox?" sticky topic in this forum. I guess I'll post stuff there ;)
Gamer, Python programmer
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

jackS wrote:Well, now that you've sent them to the _designated_ mailbox, I'll answer them next week :)
:-D

Dan.a