In-system jumps... how do they work?

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

In-system jumps... how do they work?

Post by richard »

Just wondering whether there was anything that described in-system jumps and how they work (psuedo-science-techno-babble is fine :)

Also, is the intention that time should pass while jumping? Something in proportion to the distance jumped? If there isn't any time passing, then it's going to be much harder to write military-based stories (ie. the response time to any attack is almost instant, thus reducing the story-telling options :)
Gamer, Python programmer
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

The word is that the insystem jump is that it will change... eventually. There are MANY many topics on this in the Feature Request area.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

we're considering redoing insystem jump for some sort of hyberbolic-space style warp
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: In-system jumps... how do they work?

Post by jackS »

richard wrote:Just wondering whether there was anything that described in-system jumps and how they work (psuedo-science-techno-babble is fine :)
I'd prefer to delay rendering any particular explanation pending the distinct possibility that in-system jumping will be greatly overhauled.
Also, is the intention that time should pass while jumping? Something in proportion to the distance jumped? If there isn't any time passing, then it's going to be much harder to write military-based stories (ie. the response time to any attack is almost instant, thus reducing the story-telling options :)
Yes, but not much. Sustained effective speed of in system jumping, assuming it stays, will be constrained (let's not talk about why or how here, except to say that, while any particular jump should probably take an effectively fixed amount of time, there should be distance limitations per jump) to < 10-12 C (more likely ~ 5-6 C). So, while an emergency message (notably not a sustained phenomena) can be relayed somewhat faster than the 10-12 C, given lightspeed transmission time for the message to get to a relay station and then ships converging back to the point of the message at no more than 10 C, one could still be looking at several minutes (or more if one is out in the middle of space away from relay stations) before significant reinforcements could be scrambled from other parts of the system. If the force concentration in the system is on the other end of the outer system, that could be a fairly large number of minutes.
richard
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by richard »

Excellent response :)
Gamer, Python programmer
Moses
Trader
Trader

Post by Moses »

will there be version where i can accelerate/deccelerate like u want.. and just the power of my truster decide how long it takes from A to B like in real space?

... by the way a kinda autopilot would be nice for that cause if u miss the point to switch/ turn the ship for deccelerate it may take hours to correct that, such an autopilot could be part of the eqiupment of a ship so mods who wount have such an feature just delete this item...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Well in the cvs unstable version, you can go into warp mode where it will accelerate really fast as it gets away from a planet and then slow down as you get near another planet. So there, you have enough time to react and turn. This is replacing both the autopilot system and time compression.

In 0.4, you can do this by pressing F9 repeatedly to speed up time and then F10 to restore to normal time.
RFBurns
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RFBurns »

Hmm...mini wormholes...keyed by the player with a sequence or single key. Now that would rock! :)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

RFBurns wrote:Hmm...mini wormholes...keyed by the player with a sequence or single key. Now that would rock! :)
Well, actually, that didn't appear to be the consensus opinion -
What wormholes don't provide, and what was being loudly demanded, was a sensation of actually travelling from point A to point B. The previous incarnation of insystem jump, despite graphical paucity, _was_ the creation of mini-wormholes.
novalogic
Explorer
Explorer

Post by novalogic »

I kind of covered this in another post of mine, some theories as to how it all works, but there is still the issue that there is no real method of light speed travel, as the only engines we buy and the only reactors we buy in the game are sub-light, thus not allowing for a coherent story line to form to explain the methods of faster then light interplanetary travel.

There needs to be three additions for a good solid method... The engine, the power source, and the fuel. It’s rare in any story for sub-light and light speed engines to use the same power source, yet alone fuel, and I've yet to see them use the same engines.

As for how the new method works, I'd say it has something to do with forming a bubble around your craft allowing the current sub-light engines to thrust you at a much higher rate of speed. Perhaps a gravitational field of some sort?

None the less, the speed of the craft is in direct relation to the output of the sub-light engines^>32, thus, if you engage this "bubble" with no power to the sub-lights, then nothing will happen.

I look at the indicator ">32" as a measurement of strength of the field, and the whole thing makes a lot more sense that way...to me at least.

Gravity of any sort, suns, solestrial bodies, jump points, and space stations all effect the ability to form this field.

The only question is what forms it, what powers it, and what the pseudo-physics behind it are :)

Of course, I'm just a player, so take it worth a grain of salt :wink: