Ship info in Wiki?

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
Drak Zelthor
Explorer
Explorer

Ship info in Wiki?

Post by Drak Zelthor »

Is anyone currently adding informations on ships to the wiki? It would save players some research if they could actually look a reasonably organized list of ships with whatever information is available on them and it might mean that fewer people end up asking the question I am looking for a good ship for trading/scouting/fighting etc... what ships are good?

If no-one else is I might think about adding some basic content over the next while.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Ship info in Wiki?

Post by Mets »

I'd say go for it, I don't think there's any official plan. The wiki is usually just update as you go, when people have time, and people definitely don't have time right now.
Drak Zelthor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Drak Zelthor »

Ok I'll go ahead and see about improving the ships info.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

I notice that the ship articles are organized into categories. Would it be OK to add the ship thumbnail images to these categories as well? The wikie software will then automatically generate a gallery of images, which might be useful for people wanting to browse the categories by ship appearance.
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

Don't see any reason why not-go ahead!
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Currently, the images are stored outside the wiki, so I'd have to copy/upload them in order to take advantage of automatic thumbnail generation. Would that be OK? I know that the wiki preforms very poorly, so I'm afraid there might be storage/bandwidth issues on the server that would make this a bad idea.
Drak Zelthor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Drak Zelthor »

How do you upload images to the wiki anyway?
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

The link seems to be hidden away in one of the sub-pages. Click on "Special pages" and search for "Upload file" and you should spot it.

Someone seems to have turned the bandwidth waaaaay down, as I am having lots of trouble with pages not loading completely and then timing out. Probably SourceForge's fault. Forums work fine though.

I think it's going to be a major nightmare to upload all the images if this problem isn't solved first.

I'd also like to see the "wikitable" HTML class brought over from Wikipedia so that you can sort tables and so forth.
-REBEL3-
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by -REBEL3- »

Since we've run into the Wiki bandwidth issue several times now, I am now asking-who controls the bandwidth? Whoever it is, can they please increase the bandwidth?
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Also, what naming scheme should be used for the images? I'm not sure how things are currently on SVN, but I'm guessing it would be best to copy/adapt the naming scheme from there.
Maximilian
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Maximilian »

I'm working on a ship info list, it will be later published as a PDF & a website. For now I update it here on the forum.
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

The ship descriptions definitely need updating/editing. take a look at the description for the Aeran dreadnaught (aegasicles is it?), I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote it wasn't using English as their first language.
vagabund
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by vagabund »

Hi,
I was thinking about editing some ship thingies as I fly around. Is it okay to just edit the wiki with Version 0.51 in mind? I'm not sure whether the ships change between versions.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

HUH? :? I only like the kind of Spam you eat, otherwise English please. (Or at leas a recognizable language to plug into a translator.)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

travists wrote:HUH? :? I only like the kind of Spam you eat, otherwise English please. (Or at leas a recognizable language to plug into a translator.)
Taken care of :twisted:
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe