Ive Figured it out!

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
elli222
Trader
Trader

Ive Figured it out!

Post by elli222 »

Ive been wondering, what platform was vegastrike originally developed from?

Since someone stated that they hated Steve Jobs because it was another platform to work on, I'm sure its not mac...

That boils it down to two OS's (well, ones not technically an OS, but a core part of one)
Windows *shudder*
and
Linux

After thinking and poking around for some type of clue, it occurred to me, the .vegastrike directory in windows...

anything with a . before its name in a linux based operating system is usually hidden, but windows is different- and someone didn't notice.

so the .vegastrike is a dead giveaway- the fact its only hidden on linux based OS's proves that vegastrike was developed initially for Linux based operating systems

:D

Am i right? am I am I am I?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

VS seems to have originally forked off crystalspace for the most part. Borrowing most, if not all of it's backend from it.

I wasn't aware it was some great mystery as to the origins of VS.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I don't think it used much of Crystal Space.

Originally I believe HellcatV write most of the code. It used to use only binary search trees for collisions, then Crystal Space's collider was added because it was much better--previously you could crash into big holes in stations.

You can find the 0.1.0 source code and release from Sourceforge's download page. The very old repository history and the first releases are a good place to look for this type opf INFO.

The original platforms were Windows and Linux. I don't know which one--however I suspect it was Windows.
SInce the original set of code, most (but not all) of it has been rewritten--as one might have expected.

You can find the original news entries starting here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/index ... evnext=150
Hit the "previous" link to go forward in time.

I believe the early ones in 1998 referred to Vega Strike's predecessor which was Windows only and used Glide as the graphics layer.
elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

vegastrike had a predecessor? O_o

Im pretty sure it was built for linux, as windows uses the .zip format and most linux systems tend to come with tar support built in.

And, looking at the 0.1 release, there was only .tgz (tar G-zip) releases, and looking at these releases showed files like INSTALL,AUTHORS,NEWS,README which windows cannot open without being told that their text files... and makefiles are included, and so are shell scripts- that without cygwin, would be useless...
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

elli222 wrote:vegastrike had a predecessor? O_o

Im pretty sure it was built for linux, as windows uses the .zip format and most linux systems tend to come with tar support built in.

And, looking at the 0.1 release, there was only .tgz (tar G-zip) releases, and looking at these releases showed files like INSTALL,AUTHORS,NEWS,README which windows cannot open without being told that their text files... and makefiles are included, and so are shell scripts- that without cygwin, would be useless...

read a couple of pages of the dev blog "like woah, GOURAD SHADING ADDED!!!" :) and there's this quote

"I just began a Linux Port of Vega Strike. However, at this stage, I would like to enlist any experienced unix programmers to help me port Vega Strike to Linux. If you can, fight the power, and join me in my battle against Microshaft ;-). The choice is yours... :-) Mail me!"

so no, it was windows first.
elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

rivalin wrote: "I just began a Linux Port of Vega Strike. However, at this stage, I would like to enlist any experienced unix programmers to help me port Vega Strike to Linux. If you can, fight the power, and join me in my battle against Microshaft ;-). The choice is yours... :-) Mail me!"

so no, it was windows first.
Damn! thaught i would throw this in though :/

Microshaft, Microsucks, Microf***s,

Microsoft gives you windows, Linux gives you the full house!

Aaand i found this somewhere...
http://www.thenetw0rk.com/features/microshaft.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re:

Post by MC707 »

elli222 wrote:Microsoft gives you windows, Linux gives you the full house!
What a brilliant post 8) . Hats down. ROFL :lol:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite