Wikimess!

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
Erk
Trader
Trader

Wikimess!

Post by Erk »

I'm trying to get to know the vega strike universe, to help write and sort, but I'm running up against a wall in terms of information organisation!

Consider the article about the Forsaken. The second paragraph of the section "On the origins of the forsaken" - a long and well-written essay with no wiki links, terminology clarification, or subheaders - consists of this:
China, grown increasingly insular and denied of information and innovation from outside as it rejected the meme-trends, shielding its population from what it saw as memetic viral infections through draconian information control, was the last of the truly great Nation States. It had hidden for over two centuries behind successively more impermeable "great firewalls," each improved, ironically enough, with increasing willingness by outside expertise with mutual interest in isolating themselves from what they saw as an increasingly dangerous anachronism. China sought to capitalize upon the destablization of the other world powers and eventually plunged the world into war by proxy support of the now shell-like governments of numerous other former great powers. Much of Asia, in particular, was ravaged, but the war ended far more swiftly than any had anticipated – the first real signs of the economic change that the nanite revolution that had been simmering only outside the Chinese borders had wrought. Defeated planetside, the mankind’s first manned interstellar venture (following probes already launched decades prior) was undertaken in haste, rather than jubilation. In a grand twist of irony, the greatly distilled population of Chinese Nationalists and assorted Nationalist allies that were to crew the two craft that left the solar system embodied, more than their particular nations, the meme of nationdom. Their haste, however, was to prove costly in the long run. Their cryoships were efficient and simple, but extremely slow. Neither of the vessels would actually be the first human craft to reach its intended destination, being in fact usurped by later sub-light settlers.
Only a fragment of this paragraph relates to the Forsaken. Honestly, it should be excised, summarised, and put into an article that relates to early Earth history, and the aspects which relate directly to the forsaken should be on this page. That way, a dude wondering who the Forsaken are does not have to read a long discourse on 23rd century Earth politics in order to get to the meat of the issue. Don't get me wrong, this stuff is great, but it rambles. Someone who already knows about the decline of Nationalism doesn't need the review, and someone who just wants to know about the Forsaken probably doesn't care so much.

I think this kind of stuff needs to be discussed more in the Village Pump for the wiki, but that place looks pretty dead. Is anyone willing to help me clean up, cross-reference, and subsection the existing body of work, or shall I just set into doing it myself with tooth and nail until I get bored?

I just finished reworking the Forsaken page. Check it out, use view history to see what it was like. I added very little new information, but I did reorganise it. Some information was cut out but remains there, hidden in comment tags so it can be moved to a better spot. What do people think?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Looks like you just found yourself a job :wink: i would help but my wikifu is nonfunctional the Minister of Information is the resident authority on the history of the VS universe.a PM to him might be in order for his thoughts he is a busy man ATM though.have fun

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Erk
Trader
Trader

Post by Erk »

Gya, this is really all over the place.

I'm chopping out the history of the Sundered from Faction:Pirates and moving it to Terminology:Sundered.

Does anyone have an actual description of what the nanoplague is? I'm assuming it is a massive failure of nanotechnology somehow, but that is all I can find. And that sounds out of place given, "Of tangential, but important, note is the fate of some worlds that bear evidence the colonists attempted to fight the nano-plague directly: Their civilizations were razed to the ground when it fought back, although exactly how remains unclear." - how do you "fight the nano-plague directly" if it's just an overarcing systems failure? We really need terminology:Nano-Plague and Terminology:Nano-Technology to get filled in. If someone could even just give me better sources to cross-reference and rework into place, I would get on that.
Erk
Trader
Trader

Post by Erk »

Pages added or heavily reworked yesterday and today: someone check these please?

Faction:Forsaken
Faction:Interstellar Shipping and Mercantile Guild (much of it moved to the CMT article)
Faction:Klk'k
Faction:Pirates
Template:Description:Beam
Terminology:Cherryh Mercantile Trust
Terminology:FTL travel
Terminology:Nuclear weapons (needs further reworking)
Terminology:Meme
Terminology:Sundered
Weapon:Disruptor beam
Weapon:Disruptor beam (long range)
Weapon:Ion beam
Weapon:Ion beam (heavy)
Weapon:Shield Breaker beam
swright
Explorer
Explorer

Post by swright »

I would recommend dropping a PM to JackS with your email addy. Request a copy of the Universe Development Document. This file contains more indepth background on many aspects of the VS universe, albeit in a disorganized state, which should provide some answers and clarification.

Take note, however, that the document does contain spoiler information. Close coordination and discretion will be necessary to ensure that certain information is intentionally omitted from the public wiki pages.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Hello there

Been on vacation for a little bit now (still am), catching up now on forum reading, etc. or I would have attempted to contact you earlier

Please drop me a PM or e-mail me directly at my VS gmail account (ministerofinformation) and I'll send you a copy of the universe development documentation.

I don't think I'll have time to answer all of the posts that I saw you make just now (and PHPBB isn't very good for remembering already read posts) so please poke me again after new-years when I'm back home and such (for I'll almost certainly not remember everything I wanted to reply to)
Dawe
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Wikimess!

Post by Dawe »

As there's already a subject of this i'll continue on it. The wiki regarding lore is a mess, a horrible mess which is in dire need of some care and attention.
I've been at this last summer trying to get the different pages of the factions together (as there are at least 2 for each singular faction). Before i start patching something up with the factions, does anyone have a good propsition for how this could look like.
As it is now i'm proposing to put links in between the different pages of the factions, in order to make it more accessible and in some way understandable.
The whole wiki feels too much like too many people have been doing some part her and some part there without any thought about the reader or sense of the bigger picture.

I hope i'll be able to do some more work this summer!
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Oh, there's more of mess than that.
Right now, generally the more updated one is wiki.vega-strike.org - compare http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... :Variables and http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Manual:Conf ... :Variables - but SF copy most likely was updated too, so this needs more attention.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

Holy christ, I didn't even know there was another wiki...

As an aside, I wrote up a brief superficial description for the Dgn, after trying to find info about them. But at least they have a drawing so it wasn't hard. I'll put that up at some point.