Realistic-style mod

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

DiGuru
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DiGuru »

PeteyG wrote:You're smoking crack.

Well, I guess you are anyways. That would require a fair bit of coding to do methinks. I think it would be worth figuring how feasible it would be to add all these new features before seriously comitting yourself to your strategic mod.

Because without the features and the coders to make them, it's not going to get off the ground
You're absolutely right.

But the whole of VS is build, isn't it? That was a lot harder to do than this mod. And from my perspective, this is a small project. No worries. We can do it.

We need to think it through, come up with the things we need, make a nice functional design and find people to execute it. That's all.

:wink:
Jadel
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jadel »

That would require a fair bit of coding to do methinks. I think it would be worth figuring how feasible it would be to add all these new features before seriously comitting yourself to your strategic mod.
One of the reasons I've been keeping a low profile is that I've been looking over the vegastrike code and trying to figure out how this would work. A suprising amount of the functionality can be created using the existing AI scripting system. I think a few more things would have to be exposed to Python though, mostly on the sensors front.
I was going to leave this alone until 0.4 came out though.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

in reply to the FTL post earlier.......FTL and time travel are not one and the same, although you will often hear about it as if it was.....

Dan.a
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I will re-iterate my point again. VS was designed from the ground up to be primarily as a flight sim, not a strategic game. If that IS what you are looking for you would be wise to look on sourceforge for it, and stop trying to change the primary direction of the VS engine. This is foolish, dumb and a waste of a lot of peoples time.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

MKruer wrote:I will re-iterate my point again. VS was designed from the ground up to be primarily as a flight sim, not a strategic game.
actually...there's an interesting story behind that :-)

but you are right, that's not VS's focus now....most of the changes would seriously undermine what VS is trying to do....but many would also be doable in python......

either way, it doesn't hurt to look, and if he really wants to do it then he can fork for a strategic game...that's what free software is for :-)

Dan.a
DiGuru
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DiGuru »

There is no need to rush this mod. If it is done before the end of the year, that would be faster than I would have thought possible.

If we look at any 3D-game, we can break it down into multiple parts: a graphic engine, a library of game logic, resources to deploy when needed and a game loop (the actual program) to execute them all.

The game loop is the simplest thing and the smallest as well.

In VS, the library of game logic is broken down into multiple parts. Some are C++, some are phyton, some are configuration files and there are object- (xmesh-) files as well.

What do we have to change to make VS into a strategic game as well as a FPS?

Well, not that much. We need a new interface, that boast about the same specs as the new interface on the wish-list of the designers.

And we need some new game logic. We can do that in C++ or Python. Or any other executable you can pipe through!!!

So, let me make the point once more:

We can do it. It is not very hard. And it *DOES NOT* conflict with anything Vega Strike stands for.

Ok, we might wonder if we want to expend all that time and energy into this mod, instead of Rylix or the new version of Vega Stike. But not everyone wants the same thing of a space sim. And as we broaden the possibilities, people who like the new ones might want to participate as well.

I think, that for a realistic mod, people who are technical would love the opportunity to come up with something they could actually build in real life in a few decennia!

That's what I'm going to do, if I can get enough money together. Build by own spaceship. And no, it won't be a rocket.

Hm. I probably should not say things like that. It is not politically correct. And some people might consider me a lunatic. But, I don't care. We all dream, don't we?

:D

So, all in all, we increase the amount of people who want to contribute. And almost all of it can be used for the original Vega Strike and other mods as well.

Different people like different things. Not everyone likes Freelancer. Or whatever. And not every mod has to be a contribution to Rylix. But the whole community will win, as long as the development continues.
Stregone

Post by Stregone »

DiGuru wrote:
Jadel wrote:
Well, time travel (which we are talking about if you go faster than C), is quite possible. But paradoxes are not. There is an awful lot of 'proof' about both. So, while you could 'beat the system' and travel forward in time (going faster than the speed of light), you could only do so if there is no possible way to carry any information that could influence things that happen in your past.
Time travel into the future is extremely simple. All you have to do is experience more acceleration than the frame of reference you are comparing your time with. Like the twin 'paradox'. Two identical twins start out standing on Earth, and one jumps into a space ship and accelerates to relativistic speed(that would be a good fraction of C, say 0.6C), continues traveling at that speed for some time, turns around and comes back. When the space-faring twin steps out of the space ship and back into the same frame of reference as the twin who was left behind, he/she will have aged less than the twin who stayed on earth. The twin on the spaceship effectively traveled into the future. If you take a particularly long plane ride you will travel a very very small fraction of a second into the future.

Now, time travel to the past is very difficult and even in theory you can't travel farther back in time than when the time machine was activated.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Stregone wrote:Time travel into the future is extremely simple.
Yeah it is. I'm doing it right now.
Jadel
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jadel »

Stregone wrote:
Like the twin 'paradox'. Two identical twins start out standing on Earth, and one jumps into a space ship and accelerates to relativistic speed(that would be a good fraction of C, say 0.6C), continues traveling at that speed for some time, turns around and comes back. When the space-faring twin steps out of the space ship and back into the same frame of reference as the twin who was left behind, he/she will have aged less than the twin who stayed on earth.
Yep, more a thought experiment than a paradox however.
Stregone wrote:The twin on the spaceship effectively traveled into the future. If you take a particularly long plane ride you will travel a very very small fraction of a second into the future.

Now, time travel to the past is very difficult and even in theory you can't travel farther back in time than when the time machine was activated.
It has been suggested that a wormhole could be built and one end accelerated to a speed sufficient to induce time dilation. I'm having trouble getting my head around it, but I understand the result would be a wormhole with ends in two different time periods. The author Stephen Baxter has used this idea on a couple of occaisons.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I always use time travel when I'm late in my work, it should be nice to add an "etheral walker simulator" in the game
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

If PeteyG agree, we can add a "PeteyG & Etheral Walker time distorsion simulator" in the features list, as it seems we are the only one who use time travel and time compression in our life
I see dead polygons....
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

what is realism ? (basic concepts)

Post by TBeholder »

Surrealism sucks even more. I get more than enough of it every stinkin' day. ;) And fun completely nonsensical things can bring is rather limited. That's why simulators keep their ground despite all gurgling flashing arcades jumping around. :)
That being said... i so love “realism calls to armsâ€
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Practising necromancy again Turbo Beholder :wink: not sure if any of the actors in this little drama are even active ATM :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

loki1950 wrote:Practising necromancy again Turbo Beholder :wink: not sure if any of the actors in this little drama are even active ATM :shock:
All the better. Issue as such is almost eternal and little pause just gives extra chance for something... err... a bit less stillborn.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter