A New Beggining...

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

A New Beggining...

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Only about 5 people know about the mode Ive concepted so far...

What would be a good and easy tool for me to use in order to create 3-D Models of the ships, NPC's, ect....?

(PS: Thanks in advance!)
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Probably Wings3D:
http://www.wings3d.com/
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And a fairly new app for Linux KDE K3d http://www.k-3d.org/wiki/Main_Page it should be available from your distro's repositories you can render with Renderman,Yafray or Povray A quick look at there web site says that there is a XP build available

Enjoy the Choice. :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thankyou charlieg and loki, I will try out these two tools..

But do they require them downloadable c++ packages from the microsoft site, like Blender...?

(PS: Is Anim8tor any descent for begginners?)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I was going to mention Blender. It takes a bit of getting used to, at the beginning, but it's the most complete 3D package you can get, really. It's got built-in texturing facilities that as of recently beat Gimp to a pulp, for instance.
In Gimp you have XCF's, which allow you to have multiple layers with various blending functions, masking, etceteras. But you got losses of precision at each step, due to its use of 8-bit arithmetic. And you can't have filters, like blur or sharpening, automatically attached to layers. The new Blender "nodes" and "noodles" allow you to create blending networks that work at floating point color precision throughout. The nodes can do any kind of math you want, plus scalings, offsets, motion blurs... You name it. You can define as many input and output textures as you want. Can generat diffuse, specular, normal map, shininess, or anything else you want in one shot.
Blender also has now things like "retopo". Say you have a messy mesh full of triangles and you want to turn it into nicely arranged quads in sort of parallel lines. Just give it a square grid reference and retopo it; and it comes up with a new mesh for you that approximates the shape of the original, but with a neater subdivision.
Blender is fast becoming an all-in-one modelling package. Baking ambient occlusion to a texture is only a few clicks away.
And the best part of Blender is the speed at which it is being developed. It's a huge community, with lots of available support. New releases come out at brakneck speed. Unlike many other projects, you can file a suggestion and be listened to. I suggested once to get rid of the Q key for quit, as I was often quitting the app accidentally. The next version had the Q key removed. Not bad for such a huge project with such a huge community, for some nobody like myself getting something through.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Thankyou SOOOOOOO much chuck. :D

I'll finish off my ships in anim8tor, then I'll try blender.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hey, that's what friends are for.
Here's a list of Blender tutorials.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Links
My first tutorial was the (Pepsi) Soda Can tutorial, which right now the server it's on is not responding. I got it saved somewhere if it comes to worse.
It was an excellent getting started tutorial, as it was long, covered a lot of stuff, yet left no details out. A sort of advanced tutorial for beginners.
Once you get the basic hang of it, we got a few vegastrike-specific tutorials:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTos
Among those tutorials, check out the "smooth groups" tutorial. Absolutely a must-understand for ship modelling. The bevels tutorial builds upon the smooth groups understanding, and the weldings tutorial rounds it all up with a down to earth and full example. And then check out unwrapping tutorials.
And whenever you have a question about Blender don't hesitate to PM me.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

I'll sure look on that! ;)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Here is an other mesh mangler(Modeler) http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/ and a screenie with the Factory model in view.

pretty simple interface similar to Wings 3d

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2