What software do you use or would like to use to create your

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

What software do you use or would like to use to create your models for VS?

3D Studio’s MAX
8%
3D Studio’s MAX
8%
Lightwave
3%
Lightwave
3%
Maya
5%
Maya
5%
Rhino
No votes
Rhino
No votes
Truespace
5%
Truespace
5%
Wavefront
No votes
Wavefront
No votes
Wings
22%
Wings
22%
Other
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What software do you use or would like to use to create your

Post by mkruer »

What software do you use or would like to use to create your models of VS? Don’t choose a package i.e. Wings just because it is the only thing that currently exports xmesh files at the moment. Only choose that which you have or if you have more then one, feel that it is the best, and pleases explain why!

Hopefully everyone understood the thrust of my question. Pretend that VS could support all the modeler out there, which one would you use.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

Are you perhaps asking, in a roundabout way, which file formats VS should be able to import in the future? ;)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ya I think we need a full fledged converter from md3 for instance...and improvements to the 3ds and obj importers couldn't hurt :-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

How about milkshape 3d?? I used to use that program.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Duality wrote:How about milkshape 3d?? I used to use that program.
Sorry never heard of that one.

What I am advocating is here.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... .php?t=907

How about instead of making a converter form md3 to xmesh we just use md3 instead. The best part is most if not all the aforementioned programs have a plug-in to import/export directly into the program. Xmesh is only support through two apps, and then only for conversion. But to be fair just recently there has been direct support for xmesh through wings, and not to offend any wings fans out there, but… it sucks IMO. Maybe in a few more years but no way now.
Last edited by mkruer on Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

MKruer wrote:not to offend any wings fans out there, but… it sucks IMO.
<tangent>
You're being way too harsh.

Wings is a specialized tool for box/extrusion modeling, something which it's very good at. Wings is not a general purpose modeler. Saying it sucks because it's not a complete modelling toolbox is rather like saying a screwdriver sucks because it can't drive nails.
</tangent>

Wings is not the right single-source modelling tool for VS but this is by no means the fault of the tool. As you say, the right solution is to get rid of xmesh in favor of something more widely supported.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Wings does pretty much everything I want it to do. I've made some decent ships in Wings, and it's pretty simple to use.

I would certainly not be against learning another free modeler though. But wings r@><0rs my b0><0rs as of now.
Jadel
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jadel »

Modelers I know of on Linux:
AC3D - Shareware, binary only.
Blender - Heavyweight, modeller animation environment and game framework. Probably adequate for the task but I don't know what it can export as and I prefer the wings interface.
Maya - Personal learning edition is only available on windows/mac.
Milkshape 3D - Windows only.
PrettyPoly - Opensource, but doesn't seem to be currently actively developed
Wings - I like this one, although I still think the interface is a bit clunky, it generates a lot of polys too.

Bottom line, wings seems to be the best modeller for me right now. If anyone has some suggestions that won't break my wallet or force me to change my OS of choice, I'm more than willing to give them a try.
:wink:
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

K-3D is worth a look.
http://k3d.sourceforge.net/new/index.php
I currently use it for converting some formats, but $me don't likes the handling :?

Pontiac
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

wings does not friggin suck! who the hell said that can go hang themselves.

That is exactly the same as the losers who were saying 'Vegastrike is crap'... wings is FREE and OPEN SOURCE remember that... always getting better and always will get better. Plus we don't need to pirate it to model things

And there are a damn large amount of good models made in wings! all my models are, for a start.

Wings is the best free modeller, and is well supported. I think maybe even supporting .wings3d would be the best thing for VS: showing its allegience to the open-source world.

And whoever says wings sucks can go hang themselves.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I like 3DSM, seems to me its more user friendly than wings IMO.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

three cheers for zaydana!

three cheers for open source!

together we can make this world a better place-- one free piece of software at a time
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Of course we also should keep in mind that this poll is heavily biased. Many people on the forums couldn't model anything before they got involved in VS. For those people, they would probably have not used any 3d modeler besides wings, meaning that they would have nothing to compare it too.

I have to give wings credit though, for being a good open-source tool. Right now though, it cant be expected to compete with the most popular, commercially developed, and over-expensive 3D modeling programs out there.

Many people who could not afford a proffesional 3d-modeler have been able to create quality models beacause of wings, and the ability to download wings for free.

Truthfully i like 3DSM better than wings, by quite a bit. But if we were to see a 3DSM instead of wings export plugin, then the contribution from the VS community would probably be much smaller.

Do i like 3DSM better, yes; but would 3DSM be the best modeler for VS, no.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

My final argument is this. Allow people to use what they feel most comfortable using and do not lock them in to one application. Currently the only thing that supports xmesh is wings, and even then it is a one way street. Not good if you would like to reuse models else ware. Support for another format IS need whether it be obj, 3ds, md3, etc…

BTW if it weren’t for the aforementioned “closed sourceâ€

Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

For really large models like cap ships and levels.. I would like to texture by face and not use AutoUV...

Has anyone heard of GMax??

Its like a freeware version of 3d studio max.. Is it worth using?

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

What system are you using.

Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

Yeah i was gonna mention gMax. It looks pretty good, and is basically a scaled down version of 3DSM which was released specifically for the general public to produce models for gmax-compatible games.

Only problem with it is it only exports in gmax format, but i saw somewhere that you can get a plugin to export as MD3 i think so you could import in 2DExploration or similar to convert to any other format.

It's prolly still worth looking into. They may ask for usee's to buy the code to add support - i don't know, i didn't check it out.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

the problem of 3dsmax and gmax is there are only for windows users. There are many other good multi platform soft, like wings and blender of course, but houdini, maya ... Wings is a nice tool, easy to handle, but really basic, you reach really fast it's limitations (*bip* of uvmapper, history system awfull, no polygon cruncher, no painting tool ...)
for me it's maya or blender for moddeling, and wings for textures
I see dead polygons....
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

My first ever modeller was an "aquired" ;-) version of 3dsmax....it was great, easy to use and very quick to learn.....but as i got into doing this kind of stuff I wanted something that wasn't "aquired"....so I chose blender after looking around at lots of other opensource alternatives (at this stage I was also moving to linux, so I wanted something that would work there too!).

The steep learning curve was *very* steep after coming from max, but I got used to it, and recently have been able to do quite a lot with it....it is much more capable than I thought at first, and even now I am only beginning to see what it is capable of....

I did try gmax when it first came out, but there were almost no filters for anything at that stage, so I gave up on it

I admit, I haven't tried anything else in a while, and I have never tried wings, but from what everyone else has said I gather blender can do all it can do too.....so I don't intend trying soon.....

now if only I could get some decent obj import/export scripts that would work with the newer blenders I would be extremely happy :-)

Dan.a
neighborlee

blender<>wings

Post by neighborlee »

I did try gmax when it first came out, but there were almost no filters for anything at that stage, so I gave up on it

I admit, I haven't tried anything else in a while, and I have never tried wings, but from what everyone else has said I gather blender can do all it can do too.....so I don't intend trying soon.....
-----------------------

blender can import/export wings and vica versa so its a win win..blender for modeling precision and wings for autoUV ;-00..

have questions about blender come to ( nice knowledgeable crowd )
irc.freenode.net
#blender

my vote is the combo as one nicely compliments the other ;0)and are available for everyone ;-)..

latre
new VS user ;-=-0
-===
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Re: blender<>wings

Post by dandandaman »

neighborlee wrote:have questions about blender come to ( nice knowledgeable crowd )
irc.freenode.net
#blender
hehe..unless you live in Australia, so when you get there most are having dinner or gone to bed.....at that stage, no-one knows anything about blender ;-)

Dan.a
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I stay more and more on lightwave over wine, I only have some problems with images loaders
I see dead polygons....
sjton
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sjton »

Where would I get wings3d?
Only people who have no life spend more than a minute thinking up signatures... and when I'm done I'll put it here.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

wings3d.org

Post by hellcatv »

www.wings3d.org
free
2 megs
Luengo

Post by Luengo »

Hi all. This is my first post in these forums, but I am not new to Vega Strike (Excellent work BTW). I am surprised no one has mentioned ZModeler. It's a poly-design oriented freeware modeler. It can import/export several formats and you can write your own plugins, too. If you want some good examples of what it can do, you can check out "Racer free car simulator" http://www.racer.nl (another one of my favorite free games). If you check their forums (namely the "works in progress" forums) you can see amazing car models made with ZModeler and other modeling programs.