New huge universe under construction!

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

New huge universe under construction!

Post by Phlogios »

A new mod ( more like a stand-alone game ) is being written/created. I started the project some week ago, and the game will use the VS engine. We don't have much so far, except some sketches, basic maps of the universe, history and some factions on paper.

The game will focus on single player story-telling (not space-combat) and of course, freedom (some kind of freedom that won't make the game boring). It will be HUGE. We need more people to help us with ship-models, coding (lots of it), scripting (missions and stuff), MUSIC! (very important to me), sounds, graphics ("lasers", cargo, scenery, you name it!), well pretty much everything! Don't hesitate to give us ideas about the storylines either!

I thought it would be a great idea, since (according to me) VS is going too much MMORPG-ish. The game will have more than (or) 8 MAIN factions, each with an epic storyline/campaign (interactive/non-linear?).

An idea that I have is that this game can be the Single-Player version of Vega Strike, with another name of course.

Some of the artwork that didn't make it all the way to VS-inclusion can of course be recycled and used here!

BTW, We definitely need a name for the project. The history will be posted soon.

I will post news and info here.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Info

Post by Phlogios »

All colonized solar systems will be "built by hand". Which means: Only the Solar systems with no planets/stations will be randomly generated. At least 200 systems shall be programmed.

Each space-station should be unique! This doesn't mean that similar-looking stations aren't allowed, but there should be some difference. Every space-station, if the faction wants it, shall have its name marked with big letters on it.

Also, more than 300 ships should be made. There will be lots of classes, e.g. Civilian Light Corvette. Ships should be created, not according to faction-guidelines, but according to different Shipdesigners (Companies). Military ships should be either ships built by companies and then modified to fit the faction's navy, or built by military shipbuilders for the factions. So let's say that we have a company called Vega Shipyards, and they have their headquarters deep inside Vegan space ( :P ). That probably means that their main customer is the Vegan Space-Navy.

The News section should be converted into an Info-Net section. In this computer you should be able to read about different factions, politics, companies and smaller subjects (with content already existent in their sections) like ships and cargo. News could also be here. But the news shouldn't be randomly generated (Of course they CAN, if they have to), they should instead be written after the player e.g. completes a mission. They could also be written after the player has killed a pirate and/or civilian etc.

The reality should be cut-down a little bit. I don't want fighter A to shoot fighter B from a light-seconds distance. More like Star Wars or Privateer Remake.

More information will come soon.
Kunal
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

yey

Post by Kunal »

Im in.....kinda :wink:
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Well, you've just said, that you want to make a huge mod which will kick ass. It's like an election promise soo far.
The problem is that you haven't said anything concrete, but just general stuffs. It's not that I think, a huge epic mod isn't a good idea, but in my opinion, you have to present something more specific, in-depth, if you want people to abondon some of their free time and help.

By the way, I don't think using all of the not accepted ships and stuff, 'cos that whould end in an artistic chaos (the wrong type of it). If you think your mod will be that good, then you should create a style backbone, so the whole thing will be consistent. And if it's going to bee that good, it sure deserves it.
Ships from Star Wars and Star Trek sure look good, but when they are just next to each other, the whole illusion is ruined. Do a proper background about like ship part sizes:performance:prize relations and such. Without these, it will be just a bunch of ships in one pile without any connection.
I know, you don't want an absolute realistic universe, but credibility is very important. If you want a good game with high level of freedom, than a good story is just not enough(I would mention X2 and it's background and storyline here as an example, but I don't want to insult anybody).
Creating a whole universe (at least a good one) is not a simple task and it isn't a two weeks job. I know that well because I'm working on my own for a while now, and so far, I've got tons of materials and resources just about the background (somewhere at 87 mb, mostly html and txt, and also a bunch of books), like culture, technology, mythology and such.

Anyway, if you can stand my bitching, I may be able to help a bit about background and art, but don't except too much since I'm in college.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

The problem is that you haven't said anything concrete, but just general stuffs. It's not that I think, a huge epic mod isn't a good idea, but in my opinion, you have to present something more specific, in-depth, if you want people to abondon some of their free time and help.
Just wait a sec, we already have a background story, lots of story about 4 of the factions, and some other stuff that will be posted soon. (Only 1 of the factions has a name.)
By the way, I don't think using all of the not accepted ships and stuff, 'cos that whould end in an artistic chaos (the wrong type of it). If you think your mod will be that good, then you should create a style backbone, so the whole thing will be consistent. And if it's going to bee that good, it sure deserves it.
I said some material, didn't I? For example, some of Oblivion's ships didn't make it, and I think they are all beautiful :D. Sure, we will have finish the text before we can go about throwing ships into the game. Remember: The game will focus on storytelling, but everything is important. ;)
Do a proper background about like ship part sizes:performance:prize relations and such. Without these, it will be just a bunch of ships in one pile without any connection.
It is on it's way, I would appreciate help from other authors, as soon as the history has been posted.
I know, you don't want an absolute realistic universe, but credibility is very important. If you want a good game with high level of freedom, than a good story is just not enough(I would mention X2 and it's background and storyline here as an example, but I don't want to insult anybody).
This is why we need more coders, one is not enough. The thing is, the freedom that I want in the game has to work. There is no idea to keep playing if nothing happens. This has to be solved.
Creating a whole universe (at least a good one) is not a simple task and it isn't a two weeks job.
I didn't say that, did I? :o
I don't mind working on this project for at least 2 years, but it has to start somewhere!
I know that well because I'm working on my own for a while now, and so far, I've got tons of materials and resources just about the background (somewhere at 87 mb, mostly html and txt, and also a bunch of books), like culture, technology, mythology and such.

Anyway, if you can stand my bitching, I may be able to help a bit about background and art, but don't except too much since I'm in college.
Maybe you are an excellent author :D Feel free to help with the storyline/data-development.

I will post everything we have so far as soon as I have done my homework :x :D
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Sorry, I didn't wanted to be offensive. My apologies. Anyway, I look forward to the whole background of it.

Anyway, don't except to much work as an Author from me, 'cos I don't think I have a proper english skill and style (my teachers said the opposit, but I don't fully believe them :) ) for that this time, but I think I might be helpfull about technical stuff, and artwork too.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Sorry, I didn't wanted to be offensive. My apologies. Anyway, I look forward to the whole background of it.
You weren't offensive! :o I predicted scepticism. :D
Anyway, don't except to much work as an Author from me, 'cos I don't think I have a proper english skill and style (my teachers said the opposit, but I don't fully believe them ) for that this time, but I think I might be helpfull about technical stuff, and artwork too.
English skills will not be a problem :D. If you would write something for the mod, all the other authors would of course read it. If someone would find a typo/grammatical typo ( :P ) they would change it. :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Use a proper word processor Open Office's Write will check spelling and grammar so does MS's Word what you what is a story not a school paper :lol: through so let is flow then clean up the loose ends.Good luck guys let me now if and when you feel ready for your own section 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Blackcurrent
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Blackcurrent »

Damn, sorry about the double-post. I got some issues with my connection that I have to deal with.
Last edited by Blackcurrent on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackcurrent
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Blackcurrent »

Heya!

I'm one of the developers, currently working on the story and the factions.
I've been working some with con-worlding before (creating worlds), have written a couple of short-stories and the beginning of a book (which I never finished).
Anyway, don't except to much work as an Author from me, 'cos I don't think I have a proper english skill and style (my teachers said the opposit, but I don't fully believe them Smile ) for that this time, but I think I might be helpfull about technical stuff, and artwork too.
From reading your posts here I must say that your English is very good. And you have the same ideas that I have about creating a universe. I look forward to work with you.
The following statement is true
The previous statement is false
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

cooool.