EV Nova mod

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Racecarlock
Trader
Trader

EV Nova mod

Post by Racecarlock »

Has anyone ever thought of making an EV Nova mod, i mean, the developers of ev nova say that ev nova will never be 3d, so what if we had an EV Nova mod? (Escape Velocity: Nova)
light_gemini
Merchant
Merchant

Post by light_gemini »

Ummh, just took a look at that game. Looks like a nice classic 2d ship game with some kind of "Elite" flavour. But 30$ to obtain a copy?? :shock:
Is really that good?
Can you tell more info about this game?What makes it be a great game?

For the mod,making the ships and the systems looks enough to me.The actual vegastrike seems to be fairly the same (saving that its a 3d simulator). People are busy with several projects, but maybe someone can use some time for this.

I could gladly help with ship models, but not before I improve my texturing skills, Im still stuck with the ship im making :?
----------------------------------
High above the clouds,alone,in a beautyfull and deadly world, I found my problems on the ground would never be important no more!!!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

EV Nova isn't free... wouldn't a mod based on it be some kind of IP violation?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Yanlin
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Yanlin »

EV nova is worth the money, i played for free and didn't knew it was shareware because i downloaded it from a freeware site... but it's an awesome game

btw! there is a system 2 hops away that buys medical supplies on one planet and sells lxy goods on the other! earth buys lxy goods for high! thats how i made my money
If i had a credit for every time i killed somebody, i would be broke
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Moved the topic to General Modding.
Yanlin
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Yanlin »

i guess that means no ev nova mod

think about it, it's pretty much the same

how about a space invaders mod? :lol:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

like the hungry fox Yanlin even if i use ie7 in xp :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Yanlin
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Yanlin »

loki1950 wrote:like the hungry fox Yanlin even if i use ie7 in xp :lol:

you use what in what?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

ie7 as in internet explorer 7 on xp (Ms XP Pro) :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

There is a game similar to EV Nova. Its called. Hmm wait what was it...

Here it is. :D
http://epiar.net/
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Er... why? There's nothing particularly compelling about the EV Nova universe - it's a casual-game setting, breadth over depth, fluffy plotlines and generic vaguely Star Trek - inspired galaxy. It's not really even the interesting part of EV, let alone outstanding enough to merit repeating it again in another game. It works well for the game, which doesn't exactly scream for freakin' Tolstoy writing the script, but it's a medium for explosion and spaceship delivery, not a bold accomplishment to be repeated. And what EV is good at - casual, accessible gameplay, fast and easy violence, simplistic content creation based on sprites and drag-and-drop prefab events meaning a huge variety of multithreaded plotlines and wierd factions and whatnot - is basically the opposite of everything VS is good at, which can be summed up as complexity and abstruseness. What works for a game that's designed so that you can play it in a window during a fifteen-minute coffee break doesn't really work with a game that takes hours for you to even learn the basics of control and has a behind-the-scenes mechanic to rival Orbiter.

Never mind that EV's main draw is the jillions upon jillions of different pretty ships and planets and missions, and thus far Vega Strike has managed - what, a couple dozen models that aren't placeholders and one mission string? There's like four people who can even work through the full process of content creation and come out with anything worthwhile, and they're mostly the same people who built the content creation toolset. Escape Velocity has a lot of pretty spaceships, yes. But we can't even build our own pretty spaceships, much less replicate in 3D and Python an effort feasible only with sprite visuals, cookie-cutter scripting, and a paid staff.

Now, a VegaStrike mod for EV Nova, that might be interesting. Set some random-data generators up and get 'em cranking on system and technology building.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

The games in the Escape Velocity series are my favourite games, because of the storylines and the freedom. Freedom is something Matt Burch really was good a developing. EV Classic is a much better game than VS, but that might change after a few years. The best thing about the EV series is that people can make their own TC:s relatively easily. And what makes a good EVTC is not the amount of ships, but the quality of the main storylines (EV:N has 6).
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.