New Factions

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Smurfy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

New Factions

Post by Smurfy »

Is there a way that i could add new factions to the game and get them to behave like the others? i.e. have systems of their own and change which types of craft they use. I'm guessing there would be a way because of the existing ones but is there a way to make my own without really using new models? I noticed something on one of the files about a primary and secondary hull colour, would this be something to make the ships different?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

There is .. but the 'behave like the others' criteria means that there's stuff in the python scripts (that run the dynamic universe) that'd have to be added to .... a fair bit.

If you're still interested I'll look into what and where when I get teh chance :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Smurfy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Smurfy »

Hmm... maybe it would be simpler then if they spawned like other units maybe?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Not really. I mean, in itself the task to add a faction is not particularly hard. There's just a lot of places to add stuff (to do it properly), and you need to know where they all are... I just wouldn't know without looking :-)

So I will look for you ... if I haven't responded in a couple of days, ping this thread or send me a PM or something, as I've likely just forgotten :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Smurfy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Smurfy »

Don't bother if its going to be a hassle, there might be a new version soon and then the files might be updated so the new factions wouldn't work anyway. Its interesting to see that its possible though, could be used in mods i suppose. I don't want to waste anyones time and maybe one day more than one person will want a hack like this. If things are needed to be constantly changed with each new version, it wouldn't be worth it until lots of people want it.