Total Conversion base data

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Total Conversion base data

Post by dandandaman »

Well, in between various other jobs I've been steadilly plugging away at getting a good data system working for any potential modders/current modders.

http://black-paralysis.sourceforge.net/bp.tar.gz

Basically, the contents of this tar.gz file is the absolute minimum, data wise, that vegastrike requires to start up without failing. In addition, there is the skeleton to a build system, designed to make it easy to release the data etc.

The build system is not finished, for the primary reason that I have run into a roadblock in terms of my own experience woth the GNU tools. Before I can finish it, I need help with some things. If anyone can offer advice/help for any of the following, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • 1) As much as I tried (you wouldn't believe the pain), I couldn't get the compression ratio for pk3 volumes read from a shell variable. I believe 'make' might handle shell variables differently to many tools, but I'm not sure.

2) I also don't want the make command to make each colume to be dependent on the type. I don't want the command varying between 'make communications.pk3' and 'make communications.vsr' depending on what sort of volume the builder selected. But if I just leave it as 'make communications' make gets confused, as it is hte name of a directory. Is there any way of avoiding this, while keeping the names used in the make commands obvious?

3) I want to compile a set of python files into bytecode (.pyo) ..... how?

4) Any other comments/suggestions on the current system would be very welcome ... as I said, I'm no expert on any of these tools. What is there is probably an ugly hack, so any help cleaning it up would be nice
Anyway, so that's what I need help on. Once that's done, I'll finish it up so that we have a nice build system for data sets that can be used for new, or existing, mods.

Dan.a