Starting Simple

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

SomeNick
Hunter
Hunter

Starting Simple

Post by SomeNick »

Greetings. After 4 daysof downloading Vega Strike, I finally have it here, and was playing it for a while. As I mentioned in another post, I am in the process of making an Astroseries universe ( http://www.astroseries.com for more info on Astroseries, no VS content there yet, though). I found out that VegaStrike is a quite LARGE collection of planets, pictures, starshipws, etc. I believe the bestw ay of starting to make my own universe is to reduce VS to as simple as possible and them begin to expand the universe as we see it best in Astroseries. In other words, I want to make a copy of Vega Strike that has only one planet, one starship, one bard. As simple as possible. What is the best way to do this? Which are the files minimum required for VS to run? How do I specify worlds list and the starting world? I believe this post will not only help Astroseries, but about anyone wanting to make their own universe / mod in Vega Strike.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

There were some releases back before .3.9 (or maybe .4) that were 'minimalist' releases, because they only included that absolute bare minimum to have two spaceships fight in a single star system.

I think that when I retune Vega Trek for .4.x, I will probably make my own minimalist dataset, stripping out all Vega Strike Universe stuff, and then adding Star Trek stuff as needed. I suppose I could save the stripped down data so others could use it.
SomeNick
Hunter
Hunter

Yeah

Post by SomeNick »

Well, that can be useful, a minimalist version of VS. Thus far, me and Dark_Gaiya (one of the guys helping in Astroseries) have not found how to exactly fully reduce it. We will know more about VS as time goes. Trust me, we have been interfering a lot with the xml and python scripts and all and only now we start to get a vague idea of how it all fits together. If we get a minimaslit version done, we migth share it, if it is small enough for our bandwidth (the download of VS took 4 days, using a download manager type of software). Meanwhile I think we will use the old method of "replace it all" and scrap what can be scrapped easily.

I want to apologize (sort of) for making this question. After one is a while editing VS, one gets to realize there is no easy answer to things rigth away.

Thanks for the help, though. :)
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

I like your avatar. Care to donate that ship to VS?
SomeNick
Hunter
Hunter

I would love to, but...

Post by SomeNick »

I would love to, but I have no 3D version of that ship. It is only in 2D, that ship is a Monolith Scout, used by the Nagoran Empire. Nagorans are a feline like race and in general they are enemies of humans (no matter what planet the human is from). They are an Astroseries race (http://www.astroseries.com). We would not have much trouble in letting you use it in VS, but we believe that this bit of background info was necessary. We could facilitate a 2D file with different perspectives of the ship, so someone could make an xmesh of it. Its actual size would be somewhere between a fighter and a capital ship (it is maybe a semi capital ship, would be similar in size to the Star Wars Millenium Falcon. In general it has "green" lasers as weapon). If you want the 2D file, we would be happy to let you make this Monolith Scout (or Nagoran Scout). Provided you use that name for that ship in VS. And provided you hand us a copy of the xmesh :-)