<fog> element in System files

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Andy
Merchant
Merchant

<fog> element in System files

Post by Andy »

Hi,
search of the forums and wiki didn't result in any helpful information...
Could someone please explain the meaning of all the variables of the fog-element in the system files?
Example:

<Fog>
<FogElement file="atmXatm.bfxm" ScaleAtmosphereHeight="1.02" red=".01" green=".01" blue="0.01" alpha="0.1" dired="0.01" diblue="0.01" digreen="0.01" dialpha="0.01" concavity=".99" focus=".1" minalpha="0" maxalpha="0.2"/>
</Fog>

Unclear are: dired/dirgreen/diblue/dialpha, concavity, focus and minalpha/maxalpha... any help would be appreciated.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: <fog> element in System files

Post by loki1950 »

They look like values that are to be passed to the shaders for planet rendering the atmXatm.bfxm is the file name for a spherical mesh for planetary atmospheres.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The fog element is deprecated. It creates a funnel-like mesh (atmXatm) that looks like a planet's atmosphere, but now shaders do that without any need for the fog element and all its hacks.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Andy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Andy »

Thanks for the answer.
Since what version are these shaders implemented (I'm mainly interested in the PGG mod)? And what file(s) control how the atmosphere fog looks like with these shaders?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, PGG doesn't have the shaders, but it could have them. I mean, porting them isn't difficult. But new ones probably need to be developed (derived from VS ones) since PGG planets ought to be more cartoonish.
Wing Commander Universe
Andy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Andy »

In fact I like the cartoonish style of PGG, but I don't like the resolution of most graphics that are used in PGG (especially planet textures). I already tried to make new ones, but I find it difficult to maintain the cartoonish style at very high resolutions... I also played around little more with the fog-element and it doesn't look that bad. IMO it is sufficient for that purpose... :) Nevertheless thanks a lot for your support. Maybe it's easier for me to use the old fashioned style than porting new shaders since I'm no programmer... ;)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Still, I think VS shaders, if added with some NPR effects, could work for PGG. They'd give you all the detail you want at high resolutions, and still look cartoonish.
Wing Commander Universe
Andy
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Andy »

Ok, what is needed to implement these shaders?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

First, the shaders and their assets (a few textures referenced in the technique XML files) have to be copied over to PGG. It's a chore, but in essence it's everything in programs/planet, techniques/*/earth|mars.technique and all texture files referenced there.

Then, you have to modify the .system files to reference the new techniques. You can check out Sol.system in VS to see how.

And, of course, finally, modify the programs to use NPR. That needs some shader knowledge. There's an NPR example in VS, but I don't think it's easily adaptable for planets. It's a start though.
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:The fog element is deprecated. It creates a funnel-like mesh (atmXatm) that looks like a planet's atmosphere, but now shaders do that without any need for the fog element and all its hacks.
Until the atmosphere will have physical effects?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

For physical effects we'll use effectors of various shapes and effects. So no fog.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Andy, if you want to create anything for the Wing Commander/Privateer universe go all out. We can always use art assets for different projects such as Wing Commander Universe and Priv Parallel Universe (it doesn't stick to the catoonish graphics, but strays from the original in ways).
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo