Opening Textures and Images

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Opening Textures and Images

Post by w03 »

I can't open any of the .png files in Vega Strike with any of the programs I tried; Gimp and Adobe Fireworks don't open, and nor does paint. The only thing that can even show the image is Blender, but I can't really edit it. Is there any program that can open the .png files? Also, I encounter the same problem with .image and .texture files in SVN. If it helps, I'm running 32 bit windows vista.

Thanks
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Opening Textures and Images

Post by klauss »

Most of those files aren't really png, but rather DDS instead.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

You need the DDS plugin for gimp to open them. Most other viewers wont be able to read dds files either as they aren't generally common image file types. If you're seeing png's as DDS files though then it is probably an old release prior to the renaming of textures and images. The current code-base should remove that ambiguity.

If you want to edit textures you should download the source images from svn. There is no point in working on the "working set" images that get released with the game as they aren't in original resolution for the most part and have been processed in ways that make editing fairly problematic as you've seen.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

For widespread Linux flavors see package "gimp-dds" in repositories.
Otherwise, see in GIMP plugin repository (tags also give RAWTex, but it seems to be save-only).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Thanks, problem solved. I also got the source images.

One more question: How do you compile VS form source on Windows (Vista)? I read the manual, but there is very little info.

Thanks