Beginning TC : 2 systems with 1 star and 2 planet in each

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Mutos
Trader
Trader

Beginning TC : 2 systems with 1 star and 2 planet in each

Post by Mutos »

Hello all,

Now that I've roamed a little the wiki and forums, I'll go to the simplest step towards building a TC !

And the simplest step seems to build a simple two-systems universe. That is, 2 systems with in each :
  • A G-type star identical to the Sun,
  • A planets, let's say with the characteristics of Earth and at 1 AU of the star,
  • Another planets, let's say with the characteristics of Mars and at 3 AU of the star (should be easy if I already made the 1st one !),
  • A standard station orbiting each planet, as in vanilla VS, docking with planets is too long to be used for a testbed,
  • A jump point to the other system.
I would only like to begin the game in the station of the 1st system, let's call it StationA in SystemA, fly off the base, wander to the other planet and the jump point, jump to SystemB and do the same thing, and at one point, dock with StationB.

No need to dock with the planets for now, just for them to be there will be enough. No missions, no other ships, no factions, nothing else. Just a minimal dataset as "from scratch" as possible. And btw, any telluric will do the job for the planets...

How would you rate that as an objective ? Easy to do from a standard install of VS or not ?

The things that makes me afraid is dependancies. There are many data files that reference objects and I don't know how to strip the game data down to a minimal amount. Anyway, I just need that to begin with if I want to build my TC around the Hoshikaze universe. And furthermore, I think this job could be useful for other TC builders and could be the first step of a TC how-to.
@+

Beno
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Beginning TC : 2 systems with 1 star and 2 planet in eac

Post by klauss »

Well, stripping down should be a lot easier than writing from scratch.

What can be a lot more involved, since you'd have to add entries to units.csv, master_part_lists, milky_way.xml, etc, etc...

Stripping down would involve taking those same files and deleteing what you don't use, which can be a lot more easily accomplished (and it would be a lot more intuitive, as you have present data to guide your steps).

There's a lot of data that doesn't relate to the systems themselves, but the other parts of VS - the menues, the in-base interfaces. That can be tricky to write from scratch - not to mention dynamic universe scripts, mission scripts and the like.

Even stripping those down can be involved, as they interact in complex ways.

I remember someone once had made a "minimalistc VS" mod, for exactly the task you're about to embark. It was a mod that had the bare minimum modders would need to start a new mod.

Perhaps you should search for it, I don't remember where it was nor have a link at hand.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Mutos
Trader
Trader

Re: Beginning TC : 2 systems with 1 star and 2 planet in eac

Post by Mutos »

Hi klauss, hi all,

Thanks for the answer, I think this will be a mix of both : getting minimal datasets where available and trying to figure out what I can strip down on the full dataset.

Anyway, I post here the links I found for minimal datasets :
EDIT : the Black Paralysis version is an upgrade of the TC base data, probably it's built over it. The ChangeLog says :
2005-02-09 dandandaman
* (Build System)
Finished a working version of the autoconf and make system. It's more
basic than initially intended, but still meets all current requirements.
Version 20050209 done.

2004-11-24 dandandaman
* (Everything)
Finally got around to making a sustained effort at doing something.
Version 20041124 done.
@+

Beno
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Re: Beginning TC : 2 systems with 1 star and 2 planet in each

Post by temporalbeing »

Just wanted to note that I've started updating VSU:Black Paralysis at https://github.com/vegastrike/vsu-black-paralysis alongside the new engine work. I emailed the VSU:BP mailing lists about this as well.

Ben

https://sourceforge.net/p/black-paralys ... /44844654/
https://sourceforge.net/p/black-paralys ... /44844653/