Damaged Upgrades.

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Damaged Upgrades.

Post by w03 »

For some reason, modded ships will always show damaged upgrades (usually VERY damaged - usually something like <10% functionality). I completely filled in the upgrades and cargo columns with the upgrades I wanted, using the exact same format - I even tried copy+paste. None of it works. There is an exception; one milspec ship I made is completely fine.

I am using OpenOffice as my editor.

Why is this happening?! It's really frustrating!!!

Thanks
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Damaged Upgrades.

Post by w03 »

By the way, the "functionality(%)" and "maxfunctionality(%)" sections under "cargo" in units.csv don't seem to work... If I set maxfunctionality to 1, and set functionality to 1, then quadshield01, for example, is still stuck at 40% functionality in game. Intentionally making the upgrade damaged doesn't work either; If I set maxfunctionality to 1 and functionality to .25, then quadshield01 is still at 40% functionality.

Again, the "cc" column is filled. (Is this the same thing as "upgrades" in the ship modding tutorial?)
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Anyone?

Please answer!!! Thanks.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry, but the way the upgrade system works has been a mystery to me for a long time.

AFAIK, which is not much, the functionality percentages mean nothing. The engine computes them based on the upgrade's nominal values (ie, if a shield is supposed to sustain 3000 units of damage, and the csv says it currently sustains only 1500, then it will "guess" a 50% functionality level).

The only place in which the percentages mean something are upgrades that have no functionality (and are there who knows what for), those can only be fixed with "basic repair" and the percentage basically tells the engine how much to charge for the repair.

Ie: a mess.

In order to fix your ship, then, you must restore its entire functionality to the proper values - which is difficult to guess by hand.

Anyway, the upgrade system needs an overhaul, because it being so hard to follow means bugs in it can't be easily addressed and fixed. But it's a hard task nobody faced yet.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

The problem is that even if I copy an upgrade that is 100% functional from another ship, it shows up as damaged on the new ship...

By the way, couldn't I just copy values from the appropriate upgrades?

Thanks
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Perhaps, but some upgrades "add" rather than "overwrite" values, and I'm not sure which does what.
Wing Commander Universe
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

I checked again, and a ship that was previously fine now has damaged upgrades!!! :shock:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

1) attach your savegame and the relevant modifications you made
2) as I said from the start, I don't fully understand the upgrade system... you should consider recruiting some more help ;)
Wing Commander Universe
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

What I meant by previously fine was that the mod ship was tested (bought) before, and it worked perfectly (no damaged upgrades), and no more changes were made to that ship specifically. A new ship was added, and both the new mod ship and the old mod ship are now damaged.

Here''s the units.csv file , which is where the problem seems to stem from.

The ships I'm having trouble with are the test (test.milspec, test.blank) and AAMP (AAMP.milspec, AAMP.blank, etc.)

Thanks for your help!!!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

• You have one column's title broken (says "cc", after "Activation_Speed", should say "Upgrades"). Column titles do matter.
  • test.blank is identical to test.milspec. The "blank" variant is used as a baseline from which upgrades are applied, IIRC, so it makes some sense that then the engine would assume all upgrades are broken. The milspec should either have no upgrades or its various columns should be the base (blank) with upgrades applied.
  • Not sure how "Upgrades" and "Cargo" fit together, since there are upgrades in cargo.
Anyway, the second point clearly raises a red flag. Try wiping out the upgrades and cargo fields on the milspec to see how it goes. Then go from there.
Wing Commander Universe
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Thanks sooooo much!!! That fixed the problem. I probably mistyped "cc" while editing with OpenOffice. Lesson learned! (Always compare to backups to check for errors).