Killer's Mods: PF Thales/Escape Pod Fix/Tractor Turrets

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Killer's Mods: PF Thales/Escape Pod Fix/Tractor Turrets

Post by KillerB »

Killer is BACK IN BUSINESS woohoo got the laptop out of hock :D
Only bad news is that the pawn shop schmucks deleted all my files.....so back to the last Killer Mod release and start over again :shock:
Gonna start with a do-over of the commodities pricing....I had the Volcanic planets selling gems at flea market prices and paying thru the nose for food, air, recyclers, robots, slaves, and overeager immigrants etc. for the other world types. Had actual ships for sale at shipyards, capship guns/turrets/ammo for sale at various planet types and base types...

Wo2 could you have a go at making a tractor only turret with the AI set to target cargo while I'm working on all that? Say in a Small Turret with a pair of Heavy Tractors for the weapon/cheapy non-IFF radar. Appreciate it bro!

I'll give the biggies (Ox/Yeoman etc.) an extra Small Turret hardpoint on each side of the hull in the meanwhile so they got a place to install the Tractor Turret :wink:
[OC]Killer B
Vanguard Federation of Gamers
=VFF Productions=
Antares Mod for Freelancer Team
Storyline Writer/Cat Herder/PR guy
General in the Ordered Chaos Corporation
Vanguard 2 Server
Science Fiction and Action Adventure writer at Antares Dreamscape
Website Creator at Awesome Websites
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nice to see you again lad just back myself :lol: also on a laptop ATM till I setup my main box and upgrade the OS's on it :) see that you have been busy in my absence as this thread has grown :wink: since I was last about.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

So will it be added to the trunk if I make a patch concerning the units, or not?
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

@Loki: thanks bro :)
I've actually been just keeping this mod alive more or less by proxy until just now...got 5.0 dl'ing as I type this.

@Strook: post what ya got into your project linkie and I'll give it a whirl. If it works out I'll add it into my mod & upload it w/ my alterations.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

My intrests are starting to drift back this way as I have said elsewhere, is there a current feature list for this mod?
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

travists wrote:My intrests are starting to drift back this way as I have said elsewhere, is there a current feature list for this mod?
Right well my laptop was in the pawn shop for a bit, and they deleted all my stuff....so we are pretty much back to near the top of this thread as for features...

The latest release is 1.2, which has:
Player Flyable Thales Corvette in 3 models:
Stock, the plane Jane Pirate and Forsaken ship you either loathe or envy depending on your gaming style. (modified with the addition of a couple of Tractor Beams so you can actually pirate some loot).
Le Condor Noire, which has some of her fuel cells ripped out for more cargo space and a huge, hungry Cloaking Device.
Matilda, with a couple of torpedo tubes added.

WO3's Scavenger Turrets, which allows players to replace a couple of turret types with one which has one main gun & one Tractor Beam.

Revised pricing for Pilots and a few Contraband items to make the game more merc/pirate friendly.

A rebuilt Escape Pod that has enough fuel to actually escape TO somewhere.

Current Project:
I'm trying to revise the 'import price list' for several planet types atm...with mixed results so far...
And I'm looking into sticking a combat ready Hyena named 'Coyote Ugly' into the cargo bay of the Llama.start so new players don't have to muck around hauling cargo back and forth and back and forth for a few hours before they can afford to start taking missions or looting.
Before I had to hock my comp, I had some luck getting generic commodities into the Llama.start cargo bay through 'import cargo' collumn of the Units.csv
and a crap load of added cargo for all those fat merchantmen I like to pirate...
As I mentioned earlier I'm back to scratch on all that lot...
Alternately, adding in a Quest Mission at Atlantis that will give a new player a fighter as part of the deal of taking on the mission, ala Freelancer.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Should the scavenger turret ai be CARGO_INERT or normal, because it has both a gun and a tractor beam. :?
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

w03 wrote:Should the scavenger turret ai be CARGO_INERT or normal, because it has both a gun and a tractor beam. :?
Well the Scavenger Turret was a great idea that didn't quite work out like I had hoped...
Tell ya what there WO3 ol' buddy, how about you make us up a tractor only turret with:
>size=Small Turret
>2 Heavy Tractors
>Cheapy Radar/no IFF
>Cargo Inert AI

If you want to try a second experiment with the Scavenger Turret, how about this:
Yank out the tractor beam & replace it w/ another Jackhammer. Make the AI for this main turret Normal.
Add a mini turret on top of the main turret, with a single Tractor and Cargo Inert AI.
This way the main turret bangs away at fat juicy targets and then the min-turret scoops up the goodies as they spill out, (hopefully) automatically.

I'll make up a batch of player flyable heavies, starting with say the Yeoman; I'll give 'em an extra Small Turret hardpoint on either side sitting on top of a 'Docking Point' (so the loot will be sure to actually go INTO the ship instead of banging into it). If this trick works w/ the Yeoman I'll do up the Ox etc.

In other news:
Got the Molten planet in the starting system selling Commodities/Refined and Metals/Raw Ore and Metals/Refined; haven't figured out yet how to make the prices for them way cheap and the prices for food, mining supplies and Recylers way high like I had planned...still trying to sort that out.
DId get 'em selling some big honkin guns though XD Smallest thing in the shop is a Jackhammer and it goes right on up to Capship Heavy guns. Although those really oughta be sold at some sort of space station with nice big docking points....

Next I'm going to get the Shipyards to actually build and SELL some ships! IMHO it's silly to have to find an Ice Planet or Trantor Planet to maybe find the heavy freighter or capship of your dreams....come on, they wouldn't really be able to take off from a planet's gravity well! Have you ever driven one of the biggies? They take for EVER to get rollin'!
I'd like to also get some space stations planted around the planets. I mean really, you might land a Llama or something as big as a Mule, but the really big ships would be space-only ships not shuttles *shrug*
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

KillerB wrote:I'd like to also get some space stations planted around the planets. I mean really, you might land a Llama or something as big as a Mule, but the really big ships would be space-only ships not shuttles *shrug*
Or employ their own shuttles.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

The problem with the turret on a turret idea is that the cargo from the smaller turret will go into the hold of the turret itself. Also, switching back and forth between turrets would be awkward with turrets inside turrets inside turrets. (Definitely not an Inception reference).
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Ahoy! It gladdens an old buccaneer's heart to see one such as yerself enchancin' yer pirattitude. Aye, it gets a man right here...or is it over here? Anatomy was never me' area of expertise.

Anyway, 'tis a fine ship ye'r building there...just look at the bowsprit on that proud beauty. What ye need is a paint job to properly identify the Black Vulture, and strike fear into the hearts of yer victims!
ImageImage

All ye need do is loot this file
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/VSvoice/thales.jpg
and drop it into the custom directory ye made fer yer ship: "units/vessels/thales.pirate" or whatever ye called it. It will replace the stock texture for that particular ship, and you'll be scarin' the merchants and militia in no time.

Alas, I wanted to put the pirate flag on her belly too, but the outriggers share texture space with it. I never got the hang of compressing DDS files for VS, even though it works for other games. 'Tis but one wee file and naught to worry about.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Ah, also if you set a plate with a heavy tractor in the center and weaker repulsors with high dissipation at corners (autotracking or turned slightly in), these should steer scoopables toward the center. Then again, a few "bumper" turrets (with the same sort of repulsors) are placed around the scoop turret would do the same and deflect any incoming junk you're not trying to scoop.
w03 wrote:The problem with the turret on a turret idea is that the cargo from the smaller turret will go into the hold of the turret itself. Also, switching back and forth between turrets would be awkward with turrets inside turrets inside turrets..
The first, i doubt, but if so, the fix is trivial.
edit: I looked it up, it's checked via bool Unit::CanAddCargo( const Cargo &carg ) const and done via void Unit::AddCargo( const Cargo &carg, bool sort ), both in vegastrike/src/cmd/unit_generic.cpp. When an unit is checked, its subunits are checked too, but not vice versa. Easy to fix once we'll establish how exactly this should work (along with config variables and whatnot) - there are possibilities.
The second, check units.csv - most are already 2 subunits. E.g. "turretpd" /"turretpdgun" - think about their models: the first has only rotation (Maneuver_Yaw), the second has only elevation (Maneuver_Pitch). No problems here.
I hold that it's unnecessary and doesn't make sense like dedicated turrets - but it's possible.
Turbo wrote:Ahoy! It gladdens an old buccaneer's heart to see one such as yerself enchancin' yer pirattitude. Aye, it gets a man right here...or is it over here? Anatomy was never me' area of expertise.
Anyway, 'tis a fine ship ye'r building there...just look at the bowsprit on that proud beauty. What ye need is a paint job to properly identify the Black Vulture, and strike fear into the hearts of yer victims!
ImageImage
Cool. :twisted:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

w03 wrote:The problem with the turret on a turret idea is that the cargo from the smaller turret will go into the hold of the turret itself. Also, switching back and forth between turrets would be awkward with turrets inside turrets inside turrets. (Definitely not an Inception reference).
I don't think either points would really be a problem...
-As I recall, with the Scavenger Turret, the loot actually did go into the ship's hold.
-If we had the CARGO AI thing going on, it wouldn't be necessary to even go to a 'turret view' to loot cargo.

How about just making us up a TURRETSMALL Tractor Turret with a pair of Heavy Tractors and a CARGO AI and let's see how that works out?
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

Beautiful paint job for Le Condor Noire there Turbo!
I'd love to know how you did that....

Here's what I've got done so far:
-Better pay for looted contraband
-Shipyards that actually SELL ships
-Player Flyable Yeoman (with a bank of fixed forward tractor beams so you can at least loot if you nose up to it, and recover fighters)
-Molten Planets with goodies to sell...still haven't worked out the Commodities thing but at least they do pay more for Contraband now and food/construction eq etc. (I wanted 'em to sell stuff that you would expect to find lots of in a molten planet like diamonds real cheap but no luck yet) you can load up on Overeager Immigrants, Slaves and communist propaganda at an Ocean planet and sell it at a profit at a molten planet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

KillerB wrote:Beautiful paint job for Le Condor Noire there Turbo!
I'd love to know how you did that...
The process is not too challenging, compared to what you have been doing.

1. Go into units/vesels/<ship_name> and grab the ship texture...one or more JPG or PNG files. Put it in your working folder and rename the copy to <ship_name>.dds and ignore the warning.

2. Get the NVidia DDS tools (linked in the dev tools forum). Use NVDECOMPRESS.EXE to uncompress to file to TGA format. Since the syntax isn't obvious and I use different working folders depending on what game I'm texturing, I made a batch file that runs against all the DDS files in the local folder, then drag the file to whatever working folder I am using:

Code: Select all

for %%x in (*.dds) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Texture Tools 2\bin\nvdecompress" %%x 
pause
2a. If you don't want to mess with NVDecompress, use WTV.exe to view the DDS texture and screen-capture it. This alternate method works best if your screen resolution is large enough to view the texture at 100% size.

3. Open the uncompressed TGA in your favorite photo editor. Draw a mask around the area you want to change, then make your changes. In this case I chose the "external armor" parts of the texture, darkened that area with brightness/contrast/intensity, then built a quick skull-and-sword-and-rifle logo in a drawing program and pasted it into the paint/photo program as a new object so I could position it. For my own ship (pictured in my avatar), I lightened the entire picture to almost-white as the base coat, then added semi-transparent green shapes for the glass and green paint areas, then added my heraldry and tiny safety labels (rescue, flammable, etc) as the last layer. Transparent layers can do fun things because they allow the many details in the original game texture to show through. In the below example I started with a light blue base coat (by adjusting color balance) then darkened key areas with semitransparent shapes to create a "space camouflage" pattern:
Image (assuming my web host hasn't been DDOSed again)
In contrast, my King Cobra (aka "snakes on a plane") paint job for Privateer has a transparent layer for the brown paint, a non-transparent one to cover the original shark mouth decal, a pattern with transparency for the scales, etc.

4. In theory you should re-compress the file with NVCOMPRESS.EXE. It took me forever to figure out how to make it work for TES 4 Oblivion, and those textures don't seem to work with VS, and a few uncompressed files won't kill the game. If you want the syntax, I can give it to you but like I said, the result in VS was an invisible ship (failed texture load).

5. For testing your texture, you can just drop it back into the units folder after making a backup copy of the original files. All ships of that model will sport your paint job -- good for testing, but your permanent solution is better if your ship is unique. Once you are done testing, create a new folder in units/vessels for your ship, such as myship.custom. You already know how to get the custom ship into the game via units.csv, masterpartslist.csv, and your saved games. Just change the folder path in units.csv and myship.custom.csv in your save files, so the game will use the right folder and therefore the right texture.

6. Almost done. Get a good in-game screen shot of your ship, close enough to a star for good lighting and against the blackest background you can get. Check the manual for the keys that let you move the external camera for best lighting. After cropping the screen shot to a square, resizing to 256x256, and saving as PNG with black as your transparency color, this becomes your ship's new HUD image. I did not create a HUD image for Le Condor Noir because you can't see a black ship turn yellow and red as it takes damage, so just use the standard HUD image. My avatar on the forums is the HUD image I made for my own custom paint job, though normal VS convention is for it to face down and left.

Some ships have optional textures like specular, bump, light, normal, and other textures, but that's for another day.

The sample textures pictured above can be obtained at http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... -space.htm
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Why not right from GIMP? Get gimp-dds plugin, then load whatever you want (DDS or not), click "Save as..." and choose options. The main problem is guessing which of 9 compressed modes you prefer (then again, data/units/vessels/Ancestor alone contains DXT1, DXT5, and one of HUD icons in DXT3)... or choose one of 14 formats other than default. That's before you click "advanced options". :) A more useful part is the option auto-generating mipmaps on save. Of course, making mipmaps manually (just load texture or cubemap and see how it's done) would be more tedious, but then you control the result (such as which algorythm will make it look less ugly).
For that matter, it's also batch-able.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

Whenever I save something as .dds in gimp, the resulting image can't be opened by VS, so I think NVidia DDS tools is safer.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

w03 wrote:Whenever I save something as .dds in gimp, the resulting image can't be opened by VS, so I think NVidia DDS tools is safer.
It's strange. I just tested a few textures for shields - everything works just fine.
Check:
  1. The image is in RGB mode with alpha-channel.
  2. It's going to be saved in DXT1, 3 or 5 compression. If "compression" option is disabled and plugin proposes some specific format, you already did something wrong, such as...
  3. The image is either single-layer (unless it's a cubemap or something, of course) with mipmap generation on save, or already have mipmap layers and saved "as is". Mixing one with another is wrong.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

It's going to be saved in DXT1, 3 or 5 compression. If "compression" option is disabled and plugin proposes some specific format, you already did something wrong, such as...
OK that explains it. Thanks much.

I always have a bad habit of not compressing anything.
w03
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by w03 »

UPDATE:

Tractor turret v2.0 almost finished
Custom milspec reactors and capacitors for thales models (Matilda and Le Condor Noir) finished. These will only fit on thales models and no other ships.

My internet is currently down. I'm switching to a different company. I will post updates in about 5 days to a week, depending on when I get connection again.

@KIllerB: Since release 0.51 beta has been out for a while, I can move everything to SVN if you want.
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

w03 wrote:UPDATE:

Tractor turret v2.0 almost finished
Custom milspec reactors and capacitors for thales models (Matilda and Le Condor Noir) finished. These will only fit on thales models and no other ships.

My internet is currently down. I'm switching to a different company. I will post updates in about 5 days to a week, depending on when I get connection again.

@KIllerB: Since release 0.51 beta has been out for a while, I can move everything to SVN if you want.
Good to hear that the Tractor Turret v2.0 is nearly done!
Looking forward to those custom reactors too...we need to make those available for sale though; I've had the original reactor shot out of my ship before & eventually wound up having to strip my ship out & buy a new one because the biggest stock reactor was WAY smaller than the original unit.

Good luck w/ the internet situation....still waiting for a couple more paychecks before I can hook up. Uploading this from the library WIFI :|

Hate the ULN? Now (almost) everybody else does too. I think....
still playtesting this one, may have to break down and start a new char to test it more thoroughly as my current one had already pissed off a lot of factions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

KillerB wrote:may have to break down and start a new char to test it more thoroughly as my current one had already pissed off a lot of factions.
That's what happens when you put the rat in pirate. :wink:
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

travists wrote:
KillerB wrote:may have to break down and start a new char to test it more thoroughly as my current one had already pissed off a lot of factions.
That's what happens when you put the rat in pirate. :wink:
*shrug* right well I took whatever missions were up for grabs soon as I had some guns on the ol Llama....
killing pirates makes the Forsaken hate ya makes the LHIW hate ya....

Been trying to change the start ship to Coyote Ugly, an armed and slightly tricked out Hyena....
or get Coyote Ugly installed in the cargo bay of the Llama....

Once upon a time I had the Llama start out w/ some Ion Bursters and a cargo full of loot to sell for cash to outfit her........
too bad I didn't publish!!!

@Turbo:
hey buddy could ya dumb down the steps to install that killer paint job into Le Condor Noire?
Mostly what I've been doing is really simple stuff like copy & paste then alter in Excel....
[OC]Killer B
=VFF Productions=
Vanguard 2 Server
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

The down and dirty way to do that is:
  1. Hack Atlantis to have all the upgrades and ships you want as a starting point
  2. Start a new game and save it
  3. hack your newly saved game to give you an insane amount of cash
  4. Load the edited save-game and outfit the ship
  5. save the game with the desired configuration
  6. re-edit the saved game to have the desired cash level
  7. Rename the old "new game" save data and replace it with the game saved earlier
  8. start a new game to check if the edit worked
  9. (Optional) restore Atlantis to default state
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:The down and dirty way to do that is:
  1. Hack Atlantis to have all the upgrades and ships you want as a starting point
  2. Start a new game and save it
  3. hack your newly saved game to give you an insane amount of cash
  4. Load the edited save-game and outfit the ship
  5. save the game with the desired configuration
Easier.
Make a system and a mission launching in it (e.g. by copying and editing data/sectors/Special/Modelview.system and data/mission/modelview.mission), add planets and stations as needed (e.g. Commerce Center, Trantor and Starfortress cover nearly every human vessel and upgrade, etc.), set starting cash and starting craft for the mission. Launch VS with this mission (e.g. with -D../data mission/my_test.mission) instead of main menu mission. Save if you don't want to launch it like this every time.