Question for PeteyG about Vegatrek

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Painless
Hunter
Hunter

Question for PeteyG about Vegatrek

Post by Painless »

Being a trek addict myself I have been drooling over the pics of PeteyG's vegatrek mod and am interested in giving it a try.

I was wondering if PeteyG or someone else could please answer a few questions for me:

1) If I install Vegatrek, can I still play the original Vegastrike?

2) If the answer to Q1 is 'yes' does this require two installations of Vegastrike?

3) Does Vegastrike just replace ships and weapons or does it replace the entire universe as well? How far does this go?

Thanks in advance,

Russ.
Life down here is just a strange illusion
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

The VS trek is a complete package, and does not require vegastrike to play.

The entire universe will eventually be replaced, but for now the current demo mainly just has the awesome models and some fun missions, its not privateer style as of yet.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Re: Question for PeteyG about Vegatrek

Post by peteyg »

Painless wrote: 1) If I install Vegatrek, can I still play the original Vegastrike?
Definately. It's only distributed as a standalone game. You CAN copy the files over your existing Vega Strike install if you really want to. But the only people that would help are those running Linux, and there are some filesystem issues with Linux filesystems I need to fix.
Painless wrote: 2) If the answer to Q1 is 'yes' does this require two installations of Vegastrike?
No. Just an installation of Vega Strike (optional) and the Vega Trek package.
Painless wrote: 3) Does Vegastrike just replace ships and weapons or does it replace the entire universe as well? How far does this go?
Like it says on the webpage, right now it's just a fun little combat simulator, meant to demonstrate what Vega Trek will one day become. A complete implementation of the Star Trek universe using the Vega Strike system. ALL (most) art will be replaced.
Painless wrote: Thanks in advance,

Russ.
Sure thing. Give it a try! Tell your friends! I'm always looking for people to help out on it. It's quite a big task for me and a small handful of people to accomplish, especially when we divide our time between a few proejcts.
Painless
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Question for PeteyG about Vegatrek

Post by Painless »

PeteyG wrote:Sure thing. Give it a try! Tell your friends! I'm always looking for people to help out on it. It's quite a big task for me and a small handful of people to accomplish, especially when we divide our time between a few proejcts.
What kind of help are you looking for? Any particular skills?

Russ.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Trek fans who...

1. have modeling and texturing skills (or a willingness and patience to learn)
2. have some reasoning and writing skills, who can start drawing up things like trade items
3. are people who can dink around with unit files and suggest better ways of doing things.
4. are general critics who can give helpful suggestions as to how to make things better.
Painless
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Painless »

PeteyG wrote:Trek fans who...

1. have modeling and texturing skills (or a willingness and patience to learn)
2. have some reasoning and writing skills, who can start drawing up things like trade items
3. are people who can dink around with unit files and suggest better ways of doing things.
4. are general critics who can give helpful suggestions as to how to make things better.
Hmm, well... I definately am a long term Trek fan... and can definately put my hand up to items 2 and 4.

I'd be more than interested in offering help.

Russ.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Feedback then! What sucks about Vega Trek? What suggestions have you?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

about vega trek:
if you'r running mac make sure to run the setup tool between each run of the games...
because they share a config file :-( something that needs to be remedied eventually

problem is I don't know how to remedy it cus they both read options out of the config file ;-)
and if they can't find that then how can they decide

in windows it ain't a problem cus the vegastrike.config isn't in $HOME
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Painless
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Painless »

PeteyG wrote:Feedback then! What sucks about Vega Trek? What suggestions have you?
I'll let you know as I fiddle with it :)
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

hellcatv wrote:problem is I don't know how to remedy it cus they both read options out of the config file ;-)
and if they can't find that then how can they decide

in windows it ain't a problem cus the vegastrike.config isn't in $HOME
How about just split up the config file (similar has been suggested by me before, but for joystick/mouse-devices).

I know, changing the config handling seasm to be much pain, but would the following be much work?

Make it one default config file (maybe default.config)
And then one config file for each mod (including vegastrike, vegatrek, b5,...) named like this: <modname>.modconfig
The mod config files only includes changed settings (no settings in there which doesn't change from the default one).

Maybe this post would be better suited for feature request ;-)

Pontiac

PS: an alternatie to the <modname>.modconfig thing a file entry to identify the config files would also work i think.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

pontiac wrote: I know, changing the config handling seasm to be much pain, but would the following be much work?

Make it one default config file (maybe default.config)
And then one config file for each mod (including vegastrike, vegatrek, b5,...) named like this: <modname>.modconfig
The mod config files only includes changed settings (no settings in there which doesn't change from the default one).

Maybe this post would be better suited for feature request ;-)

Pontiac

PS: an alternatie to the <modname>.modconfig thing a file entry to identify the config files would also work i think.
well, a mod system that should allow it to work properly without this fiddling is already set up......but petey hasn't had the time to package to allow this.....next time maybe :-)

Dan.a