Preliminary mod announcment

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Preliminary mod announcment

Post by rivalin »

I know that any mod proposal that doesn't feature star wars/star trek etc is likely to be met with blank stares and silence :) but here goes;

The Veil Descended is a new mod set in the Nightfall universe

blurb;

The aim is to create a mod with a deep and engaging background, a coherent aesthetic and a darker, grittier tone. There will be a focus on decent coordination and organisation, and on providing artists with the tools they need to make effective use of their time. In its initial phase the project will focus on incremental releases, replacing stock VS content in a staggered approach, as opposed to waiting for total asset completion. The result of the aforementioned approach will be the possibility of a much faster initial release and the ability to sustain player engagement through rapid point releases.

I’m not sure what level of interest (if any) there will be from contributors at this preliminary stage, but I’ll continue to release art and background as I work and people may be intrigued enough to get involved at some point.

some of the art;

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Deviantart page;

http://nightfall-universe.deviantart.com/
fendorin2
Trader
Trader

Post by fendorin2 »

is a realy nice picture it could be introduce in VS ? you wont propose for some ocean base?
if you have a model just put a more lighty ambient and it could be a new background?
no?

what is the pupose of nightfall?
Fighting?
Comercial?
Strategic/gestionnary?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

What's the "Nightfall Universe"? Does it come from a game, movie, books?
I was only able to find info on a short story by Isaac Asimov, called "Nightfall", that was later used as inspiration in other scifi literature.
There's no galactic map from that story, though.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Wow, 150 views and 2 replies, I guess what I showed just isn't up to the expected standrard for a mod :oops:

Anyway, yeah it's an original universe I've been working on for a while, to provide a background for a new VS mod. It seems with the exception of PU there aren't any other mods active, and I thought it might be interesting to work on something with a slightly different tone. I'm aiming for something a little more realistic in some ways, and more of a military sci fi feel (ideally at some point having fleet combat and macro strategy integrated, though that would require interested coders, which is unlikely)

there's a draft outline timeline here if there's actually any interest (still full of non-sequiturs and typo's) ;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5572077/Night ... ryhsujfcp8

and I've completed some of the menu screens.

ImageImageImage
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Nah, don't take it as a bad sign. What I think happens is that most people around here are either busy with Vegastrike or one of its active mods ;-) (or else don't want to be busy); and probably fear feeling obliged to help with a new one. Same thing happened when Hellcat had the idea of starting a Firefly mod --a pretty deafening silence; I was almost the only one who replied to his thread, except a couple of people cautioning about legal matters. Hellcat got mighty pissed off.
By the same token, it would be a good idea for you to look for people for your team at many places besides this forum. The graphics look good and the timeline sounds wholesome. OTOH, you'll need a lot more to show than that to break through people's skepticism, being that so many game projects start and so few get off the ground. And besides eye-candy you'll need something new in terms of gameplay; something that's never been done, preferably; and a juicy story.

One place you might want to post a proposal is,
http://forum.freegamedev.net/

For a future project related to PU we want to have military style gameplay, carrier based missions, fleet commands, strategy; so we could join forces on that.
Sindwiller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sindwiller »

rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Nah, don't take it as a bad sign. What I think happens is that most people around here are either busy with Vegastrike or one of its active mods ;-) (or else don't want to be busy); and probably fear feeling obliged to help with a new one. Same thing happened when Hellcat had the idea of starting a Firefly mod --a pretty deafening silence; I was almost the only one who replied to his thread, except a couple of people cautioning about legal matters. Hellcat got mighty pissed off.
By the same token, it would be a good idea for you to look for people for your team at many places besides this forum. The graphics look good and the timeline sounds wholesome. OTOH, you'll need a lot more to show than that to break through people's skepticism, being that so many game projects start and so few get off the ground. And besides eye-candy you'll need something new in terms of gameplay; something that's never been done, preferably; and a juicy story.

One place you might want to post a proposal is,
http://forum.freegamedev.net/

For a future project related to PU we want to have military style gameplay, carrier based missions, fleet commands, strategy; so we could join forces on that.
Wise words, I'm not expecting much for now, it's just hard to tell if the silence means "hmm looks interesting but I want to see more", or "that's so rubbish I can't find the words to describe it" :)
lol, never seen that before, honest! :D You wouldn't believe how hard it is to come up with sci fi that someone hasn't thought of already; one of the factions I came up with seemed entirely original until I picked up a copy of Sins of a Solar Empire and found that one of their races was almost entirely identical to it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

rivalin wrote:it's just hard to tell if the silence means "hmm looks interesting but I want to see more", or "that's so rubbish I can't find the words to describe it" :).
No, I'm pretty positive the silence means most people probably secretly thinking "Oh noooo! Not another mod!". I remember Kangaroo22 once started advocating the dissolution of all mods of Vegastrike; he thought it would be better if everybody pooled their resources and worked on Vegastrike. I gave him a hard time, but in a way he was right. At one time Elite Strike was a promising budding mod, and I countributed 3 models to it, a ship and two stations, plus a cockpit; then Halleck disappeared. Many wasted hours of work. WCU... How many thousands of hours were not spent on it by so many people?, and there it is, dead. The only mod that was ever finished, really, was PR. So, most people probably don't even want to hear about a new mod.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to come up with sci fi that someone hasn't thought of already.
It's actually very easy if you put function ahead of form. If you have function follow form, like everybody else, then it really IS hard.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

then Halleck disappeared
Just keeping his dad's investment in his education safe :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2