OK...Uncle

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.

OK...Uncle

Post by Guest »

After tinkering with it for nearly a week, I've given up trying to get a cvs version built under Linux. :(

RH9 - glut problem breaks ./configure. To be fair, this is an issue with RH and not VS. FreeGlut is supposed to be coming down the line to replace the one currently distributed (some kind of licensing nonsense). I tried removing the standard glut and using freeglut with no success. Failed compile during feature assertion IIRC.

Debian unstable - Current SDL and OpenAL .debs will not coexist. I could likely compile by excluding SDL per the compile problem thread, but that sucks.

I don't have drive space for yet another distro, and Windows is out of the question. The whole point of me investigating this game to begin with was to break some of my dependency on Windows for games. I got an older binary version to run under RH, but I would like the latest fixes and graphics, and was even dreaming of trying to contribute some. Can't do that with an ancient, non-dev version. Maybe in a couple of months after Debian and RH roll along a little. Sucks though because this game has great potential and I hate to put it down.

One last effort...

Post by Guest »

and it seems to be working! I finally said to hell with the openal .debs and built and installed it from source instead. Already had a copy of the lib installed, so I backed it up and overwrote it with the built one and copied the AL include directory to usr/include (which was probably all I really needed). Whole lotta building going on as I type...

Post by Guest »

OK, I built and installed everything (except vsinstall, it's MIA) manually by following the linux cvs script from the dl page. vslauncher comes up and one of two things stops me. If I click on options, I get an "Xlib: unexpected async reply (0xXXX)!" and nothing happens. If I click on new game, a dialog prompts for a save name, and after providing one the splash screen comes up in the lower-left corner of my desktop (~800x600 it looks like) and that's it. No loading message line appears in the splash screen and the mouse is history. ctrl-alt-backspace to shut down X is the only out. Any pointers...
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

odd

try turning of ffullscreen and sound

edit vegastrike.config itself

it should be in ~/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
otherwise in your data dir

run the vegastrike binary from your data dir

vsinstall was needed to set things up properly I bet--but if you just start up in the data dir it should work fine
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/