CVS woes

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
vaustein
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

CVS woes

Post by vaustein »

When I try to checkout vegastrike via cvs, I generally get "cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)". If transfer does begin, it downloads a bunch of files then eventually hangs.

I'm relatively new to CVS, so it may be my fault. The command I'm using is
cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.vegastrike.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vegastrike checkout vegastrike

Am I doing something wrong? Also, do I need to add a Unix linefeeds flag (-kb I think) to this command? I'm running Mandrake 9.1 x86.

Thank you,
vaustein
vaustein
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by vaustein »

After running the previously mentioned cvs command multiple times, the transfer finally begins. I now have the vegastrike and vssetup modules, but cvs hangs while downloading the data module at "cvs server: Updating data/visit_from_the_aera". Any ideas why?

Thank you,
vaustein
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Dunno. I do know the other day while I was browsing CVS, there was some notice or other which I saw that said something to the effect of, "SourceForge CVS is running from the backup server at the moment, so entries may not be up to date".

Maybe sf.net is having some fun in the server room.
In a democracy, two wolves and a sheep take a majority vote on what's for supper. In a constitutional republic, the wolves are forbidden on voting on what's for supper, and the sheep are well armed. - Anonymous
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

was this with the web interface? Cus I noticed some strange things about teh modules there not being up to date...
gee that would explain it--thanks Shrike
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Yes, with the sf.net web interface. The exact message didn't say "backup server" I don't think. As I recall it was some strange wording, something like, "background system".
In a democracy, two wolves and a sheep take a majority vote on what's for supper. In a constitutional republic, the wolves are forbidden on voting on what's for supper, and the sheep are well armed. - Anonymous
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

vaustein wrote:After running the previously mentioned cvs command multiple times, the transfer finally begins. I now have the vegastrike and vssetup modules, but cvs hangs while downloading the data module at "cvs server: Updating data/visit_from_the_aera". Any ideas why?

Thank you,
vaustein
this has always happened to me, although I'm not sure it is an actual hang, and it doesn't always do it....

just leave it for 5 minutes or so and it should be fine, if not, there is nothing useful in that folder anyway, so your not missing anything important :-)

Dan.a