time for 0.3.9?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

time for 0.3.9?

Post by hurleybird »

With all the new imprvoments (in-system jump, comms, graphics, etc) it would make sense to have a new release. I know that it would take time to package, but on the other hand a new release could draw a fair amount of attention to VS, as well as build up anticipation for 0.4.0... Would a new release be possible or no?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well certainly not before finals...but possibly in a few weeks
just depends if we can get the scripts stabilized by then...currently they need a lot more debugging
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

As for the remodeling the fighters.... I might probably be the only one doing the rest of the remodeling.
Bazza
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Bazza »

I for one would love to see a new release. Although it would mean another 8 hour session on my dial-up connection :(
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ok well I didn't knwo the support for it was so strong
part of the reason I've been waiting aside from being so busy is that I was waiting for some new batch of art to come in--though I'm not sure if the art will arrive in the near future or not
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Runner »

The last realease is by now exactly 5 month and one day old! I would also strongly support a new release - actually that's something I was looking for very much in the last time!

Don't you use some kind of buildsystem or at least some scripts whom you just tell which directory to take and which ones to exclude? Would make realeases kinda easy to do.

by, Runner
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the problem is not releasing (that takes a good day to get right cus we always have a bug or something in the last minute)

it's dealing with the thousands of support requests if we were to release code we knew was not finished.... (the C++ code should be working but the python dynamic universe code is not polished...course we could release with the old scripts but what's the point!)
there are certain areas that are not tested and are still marked with FIXME

it won't be a very polished release and would end up reducing the popularity of VS...we want to have high quality releases...and that means well tested stuff that isn't supposed to crash--so we can deal with people on a per-bug basis :-)

this isn't like the WinME release where MS shoves it out so they can start working on 2k
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

and it would be useful if people would adjust the vehicles to work with vwep...

get rid of built in gun shapes form the unit mesh

and properly allign the gun slots to the mesh.

-schehearazade
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

What VS Needs is some sort of Build Script... say a script on somebody's PC that is programmed to run once every tuesday night to checkout the CVS, then build it and release whatever was in CVS that night as the Development Binaries, complete with debugging and one of those things that sends bugs back to a central server (like in mozilla).

I could set it up if i had the connection / harware, but I don't. But that would be real cool, cos then instead of worrying bout making a packae every time something happened, you would just need to worry bout making sure the code in CVS works on a tuesday night, and only make occasional major releases. Sound plausible?
The Flame being lazy

Post by The Flame being lazy »

I would support a release marked as "BETA (NO SUPPORT! SERIOUSLY!)" as long as it doesnt take more than 2 hours away from actual work. Is this realistic?
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

well, anyone who really wants it can download the CVS and play it

as for a release, why make one if you're short of your objectives, and you'll be there soon.

-scheherazade
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

I wonder if the flight engine will be polished in the next realease.

The old ones kinda driving me crazy. :o
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

can you *please* quantify your statement

what bugs you about the old flight engine

I thought it was perfect so I have made no changes except to some of the visual FX
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

I thought it was perfect so I have made no changes except to some of the visual FX
Ok, never mind that the flight engine bugged me.. but.. Just to double check, the drift indicator.. did you implement it in yet?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well the drift indicator is on my TODO list...it will get done before other things that are not...

I do have finals tho so don't count on it in the forseeable future...which isn't too far in the future ;-)
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

Anonymous wrote:well, anyone who really wants it can download the CVS and play it
Yes, but not everyone has a C++ compiler and the working knowledge to build VS from source.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

just a thought..but will the minimalist binary (win) work with cvs data? it should....so there is an instant release for anyone who really wants it that much....but there is too much not done to warrant another release just yet :-)

Dan.a
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Clueless and off the Subject

Post by mkruer »

Correct though I am not sure how the version scheme will be, but perhaps it should be changed to the *nix’s version numbers

x.x.x

Where the first x is the version, the second x represents beta (odd numbers 1,3,5,7,9) and final (even numbers 0,2,4,6,8) and the third x is bug updates

So in a nutshell, first digit is a complete overhaul or review of the source, second is a massive update of a substantial portion on the code, and the last one is minor (bug) fixes

So I guess that would mean

VS is really 1.3.?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

So now it's time to reveal my little secret

Post by hellcatv »

So the reason I've been holding up with releasing the next Vega Strike is the artwork...
I knew Howard Day and some people on this forum were working on redoing the ships for the next release...

well I believe the time has come where the major shipment of these models is in the VS EXT part of our website as well as in this package

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/vega ... r?download

please download it and see the artwork and modding forum--and help me get them ready for game--from VDU images to stats to shields...

this needs to be finished before we can release :-)
and now you'll realize why this was worth the wait :-)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Great! cant wait to see this in game... im DL'ing it now.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

Oh great.. Winzip 8.0 Doesnt reconize .rar files. :(
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

http://www.rarlab.com/

that's how to view it
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

wow... 50MB .rar thats a pretty hefty amount of art!

The new models look good... though most of them have textureing problems whiich i think is due to the texture being named wrong... or my VS is too out of date. Cant wait to see the finals though!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

unfortunately these are the finals...

if you coudl tell me *which* textures are named wrongly then that would be a great help

I can get them from Howard Day.... otherwise we won't get finals at all

I posted this here so you could help me :-)

if you just say random stuff is missing then I can't help to fix it...
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Hummm... i looked at the art in explorer and i noticed that lots of the old art hadnt been copied over (for example, x1.bmp remianed because the new texture is .png) i'll try installing it from scratch. Also when i looked over the new art i must say that the textures were VERY IMPRESSIVE, i just got to get them to actually show up :)