Minimum System Requirements?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
mr_ord
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Minimum System Requirements?

Post by mr_ord »

Hi,
this is my first try at an open-source game....my PC has a 600mhz AMD processor and 576mb of RAM but when I tried to play this game its so choppy i can't do anything. My graphics card is a Voodoo3 2000. what can I do to get this to run without having to buy a whole new computer? I tried playing around with the settings like the colorsThanks for your help,
Diesel
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Diesel »

What does your VS setup look like? I would set those all the way down and then work your way up to find the best quality/performance combination.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Are you maybe using software rendering?
Diesel
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Diesel »

What does your VS setup look like? I would set those all the way down and then work your way up to find the best quality/performance combination.

Post by Guest »

I went out and bought a new video card because Ive been meaning to do that for a while anyway. Popped it in and everything works great now. I have it set on high detail and full screen 32bit colors. I only have a problem if I speed my ship way up and compress time, for some reason it gets pretty jerky if i try to turn.
Thanks for your help.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

that's not a bug (or is it?) happens with me too
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

when TC is enabled VS will "skip" certain stuff in order to run the game at such a high speed. Try flying through planets are suns with TC, its fun!
Zephiris
Developer
Developer

Post by Zephiris »

Just to note (albiet this is probably a little late, but for people who're new but would ask), 3DFx chipsets and video cards are very outdated now, and support been deprecated in both Windows and Linux/DRI (as well as FreeBSDI/DRI) for the entire line. On Windows, it won't run OpenGL very well at all, because it lacks a comprehensive OpenGL "miniport" driver (this causes many other problems with MANY other games), as well as lack of support for many modern extensions, as well as supporting very little in hardware.
It's *probably* better to try and use Mesa3D if you have such a card.
It's also possible to get Geforce 256s and Geforce 2 MXes to get very good OpenGL support in both Windows and Linux. ATi also has relatively cheap cards older cards out (nothing really as cheaply functional as a GF256 though), but DRI support on Linux is extremely lacking, at least in the way of common extensions, but there's a commercial X server which supports all of ATi features for all of their cards.

A 600Mhz computer (noting the original poster) should really be able to fly on VS, though.
I've heard of people getting it to run on very significantly less.
The only reason most of my friends can't, is that a Pentium 166 is both slow on very complex code as a general rule (like Boost, and probably STL), and they can't support PCI or AGP video cards. :lol:
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

You can try and buy a new graphic card. At least a geforce 2 MX 200..

This was one of the problems I have.

Any geforce card.. the only bottom line about my computer is that I have very little ram(128MB).