Crash in Windows XP. Probably sound.

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
mbyron

Crash in Windows XP. Probably sound.

Post by mbyron »

I tried installing/running VS and it crashes immediately. If I reconfigure the setup so that there is Music Only (no sound), it's OK.

I do not have a Creative Labs sound card. I have an nForce2 mainboard with nVidia sound. I'm guessing this is a problem, since the installation looked like it put some kind of Creative Labs support in.

Is that right? Does VS depend on Creative Labs sound hardware? If not, any ideas what might be going on and how I can fix it? I can't find any mention of problems like this in the readme or in this forum.

Thanks!
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

try running windowed, disabling sound/music, anbd installing latest vid card drivers.
mbyron

Post by mbyron »

I have the latest nVidia graphics drivers. Windowed/fullscreen doesn't have any effect.

"Music Only" and "No Sound" under Sound work fine (but I don't get sound). With "Music Only" I do get what sounds like MIDI music. The others "Sound and Music", "Sound Only", "Sound Windows", and "Sound Linux" all crash immediately with the same error message. IT's trying to write on illegal memeory or something.

I'm pretty sure it's my sound configuration. I'm just wondering if the libs you folks use depend on Creative, 'cause if they do, that's the problem.

Thanks again.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

RUN OpenALwEAX.exe !!!

Post by ace123 »

Did you run the program:
OpenALwEAX.exe (in the data directory where you installed VS)

It should fix the exact problem that you have.
It fixes OpenAL (the sound) in Windows XP.

The music works, so it shouldn't be a video card or a sound card problem.

If the Vega Strike still doesn't work with sound after running the program, then I don't know how to help.

(I'll add this to the wiki under FAQ/Bugs)
mbyron
Trader
Trader

Post by mbyron »

Argh. "OpenAL" was what I needed. I found an OpenAL SDK on a Creative developer site and downloaded that. Its test apps fail with the same crash.

At least I know what's wrong. Thanks!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

/me kicks creative in the butt
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
mbyron
Trader
Trader

Post by mbyron »

What's /me? Not surprised you think Creative is awful, just don't know what you favor.