Random Crash problem

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Tux
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Random Crash problem

Post by Tux »

Hi there!

To sum myself up, I am a lonely adolescent who finds fun in the terrible world, from modding, creating and doing anything related to scifi. I come from the big opera of Oolite, and the long journeys of Naev. I have found both games to be amazing examples of the power of an Open Source community. So you can imagine just how elated I was when I found VS, which I see as a combination of both Oolite and Naev.

The thing is, there is always a common thing shared between games as big as VS, Naev, Oolite, BFW, WZ2100 and even OTTD.

When I first install them, there is always a problem.

Whether it be dependancies, or incompatability with my terrible graphics, there is a problem.

Though, being a Linux user, I usually try to navigate the problem.

My computer's problem with VS, is that is crashes, really quickly. When I click on "Campaign" and launch the ship, the most I can do is wait a minute without touching anything, before it crashes. When I hit the escape key, (bring up the keybindings screen for three seconds), it crashes.

Below, I have attached both the error and log files.

Computer Specs:
Running Windows XP
"Display Adaptor": Q965/963 (I believe that is the memory bridge or something, not the actual graphics, card. Well that's because I'm using intergrated.)
RAM: 3Gigs
Dual Core, Intel Pentinum (both at 1.6 Ghz)

It is understandable that some will see the specs above, and possibily cry, but it there any hope for me to run this game?
Or is something completly unrelated, and instead there is a simple fix?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Random Crash problem

Post by loki1950 »

Looks like its a GPU thing in that yours does not support OpenGL v2.0 since it's an integrated one it is more than likely Intel who are known to have crappy drivers on there older GPU's and then abandoning them on an inexperienced users you might have might have better luck under Linux as the drivers for your Gpu are supported by a group that has set up a ppa for Ubuntu I use them on my laptop with Mint 17.2 that and you may need to assign more memory to the GPU.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Tux
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tux »

Cool. I'll have a shot on Linux. I mainly choose windows, because then I don't have to compile, download dependencies and stuff. This especially tedious as there as the machine I use is not connected to the internet, so I have to take my crappy laptop to the library, manually download, ride back, install, find errors, then repeat.

But I'll let you know once it's done!
Tux
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tux »

Ah, alas, I knew this was coming.

I only have a few days till I go on holidays, so I won't be back for a while after this. Anyway, I typed "make":

Code: Select all

make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/tux/Downloads/VS/VS Linux/vegastrike-src-0.5.1.r1'
depbase=`echo boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`; \
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES -DBOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB -I./boost/1_45         -DHAVE_AL=1   -DHAVE_OGG  -DNV_CUBE_MAP=1    -I./src   -pipe -DNV_CUBE_MAP  -pthread -MT boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o -MD -MP -MF "$depbase.Tpo" -c -o boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp; \
then mv -f "$depbase.Tpo" "$depbase.Po"; else rm -f "$depbase.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from ./boost/1_45/boost/python/detail/prefix.hpp:13:0,
                 from ./boost/1_45/boost/python/handle.hpp:8,
                 from ./boost/1_45/boost/python/converter/arg_to_python_base.hpp:7,
                 from boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp:6:
./boost/1_45/boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:50:23: fatal error: pyconfig.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:4620: recipe for target 'boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o' failed
make[1]: *** [boost/1_45/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tux/Downloads/VS/VS Linux/vegastrike-src-0.5.1.r1'
Makefile:1995: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

(The "fatal error" bit was highlighted in red. Just saying, because terminal likes to do that, considering big bulks of monochromatic characters are hard to wrap you head around.)

I've attached the config file (I think). This time, I've got the same specs, just running Ubuntu 15.10. I've tried sudo make, (I felt like this was just a permission thingy, but noooo...), and that gave the same thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We have been using cmake for about five years and the needed file where not updated so I am no surprised that config/make failed here's the relevant link https://wiki.vega-strike.org/HowTo:Comp ... N_on_Linux and there is no need to make --all only vssetup,vegastrike and vegaserver the rest are development tools and which source tarbal did you download as I see version 0.4.4 it should say .5 time for more hair pulling :cry:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Tux
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tux »

Oh...

Right, I'd been following the wrong webpage on the wiki this whole time...

*Facepalm*

Anyway, I now got this:

Code: Select all

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.2/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:344
 (message):
   A required package was not found
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
   /usr/share/cmake-3.2/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:506
 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
   FindFFMPEG.cmake:25 (pkg_check_modules)
   CMakeLists.txt:831 (find_package)
Logs are again attached below...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Add --without FFMPEG to the cmake line we have no content that uses it :wink: so no need to add it to the executable.No more issue with the boost libs?