What happened to my sexy paint job?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
rizla!+!rabbit
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

What happened to my sexy paint job?

Post by rizla!+!rabbit »

Hello fellow star children. I love this game. Hours of my youth spent playing Elite & Frontier and I have a iMac 4.1 Intel core duo which can't handle much graphics wise but runs this game beautifully. I'd started playing Frontier again alot after getting cancer and needing interactive entertainment during my medicated hours in the evenings so when I found this game and found it ran without any frame rate issues ( unless it's all out war out there) I was stoked to say the least. I can't access any save games outside the in game load scene so there 's no cheating for me which I prefer. I'd love to contribute digital art music and sounds but for now I have one question..
I had a sexy blue and yellow paint job on my Schrodinger but after a while it had returned to the default.. Can someone tell me why and if I can get it back?
Jah bless :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: What happened to my sexy paint job?

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome to the forums yes you can get it back it will require a bit of editing of those save files though :wink: on a Mac they are in a hidden folder in your Home folder it's under .vegastrike so all you have to do is find it :D the particular file you want is the one describing your ship it will have a field that points to the default texture that will need to be changed to point to the fancy one,have look at our wiki for most of the details but if it's to obtuse for you I'd be happy to help out 8) I haven't got the game running myself yet on a fairly new Mint 18.0 install on this new box so now I have reason to recompile :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rizla!+!rabbit

Post by rizla!+!rabbit »

Thank you Loki1950 :D
The original reason i wanted access to the save files was that when ever I started the campaign or loaded a new game it would start at Bernard's Star with approx 9000 credits which I think is just after your first run for Janek. I really wanted to start from the very beginning as my rep with other factions wasn't great either so I found the new_game unix file in the resources folder of Vega's package contents and opened it. Being the only save file I could find (neither terminal or apple scripts would reveal my hidden files) I opened it and to my surprise it had the correct start info inside (13,500 credits Alantis etc) so I duplicated it and renamed it FRESH. I then went to the load scene within Vega were you can type in the box at the bottom of the screen. My file 'FRESH' didn't show along with my other save files but never the less when i typed it into the box and hit load it worked!! Brand new game from the correct start point. So I then saved it as FRESH so it appears in the saved games menu and now I can start from the beginning by loading this file.
I used a similar method to make a few changes realising that the program obviously points to certain files and where i have no understanding of coding/programming I simply replaced the files i wanted to change and renamed them with the same name. For example scanning thru 89 ships to find the right one means alot of beeps so I changed the sounds made when pressing 'n' or 'N' from a buzz alarm type tone to a nicer stabbing pad sound, the same with missle lock or though this was just for fun rather than the original tone getting on my nerves. Missle lock now instead of beeping goes 'oooohhh-weeeeeeeee' taken from my huge sample collection.
Anyway I now have access to the save files thanks to an older version of Tinker Tool so yes I will dive into to wiki and get learning. Any idea why I had the custom texture for a short time? Was it the base which I purchased it from being special in some way? And did purchasing a different ship return it to it's default texture? I guess what I'm asking is will i keep losing it or will it remain once I've edited the save file?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is a way of showing hidden files/folders in Finder the OSX file browser it should be a quite obvious in it's menu options both Linux and OSX define a hidden file/folder by putting a "." dot in front of the name so a search for .vegastrike should find the hidden folder just did a quick google a found this

Code: Select all

The long way to show hidden Mac OS X files is as follows:
Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities.
In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES.
Press return.
Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rizla!+!rabbit

Post by rizla!+!rabbit »

Yes I'd tried the terminal method but it told me AppleShowAllFiles not found. Maybe I'd deleted it trying to start fresh on Vega!?
Like I say Tinker Tool saved the day so I'll be getting balls deep in some new knowledge. :D