Current source check outs

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Current source check outs

Post by athomic1 »

Man, it's been awhile since I've posted here, hasn't it? Last posted in 2011... phew!

Anyway, just recently got back to messing around in this game, and thought I'd see if I could bang around a bit on the code myself. Nothing I'd be trying to contribute, at least for awhile; I need to see if I can get my head around the code first, which could take awhile. The first challenge: where the heck do I go for the latest?

From what I've been able to find, there's a SourceForge repository, but some effort to move things over to GitHub? Only, GitHub has some trouble with binary data, so, keeping that at SourceForge? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what to pull from where, and I apologize for hijacking this thread, but since this seems to be the most recently active, I figure it's my best shot at a quick reply.

In any case, if anyone can tell me how to set things up with SVN, Git, or *shudder!* both, I'd be muchly grateful. I'm sure I can work out the client setup process myself, I just need to know where to point things, I THINK...

Oh, and if there already is a posting on this, just point me at it. I apologize if I missed something obvious, but it's been a heck of a time just trying to see just where things have been happening in the forum, lately.

Thanks for any help!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Vegastrike move to GitHub - Proposal

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome back athomic1 first a question what OS do you prefer as that sort of determines your options :wink: and if the questions threaten to over take the thread I'll split it of :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Well, I'm probably going to be working mostly in Windows 7 for now. While I'd like to work from Linux, starting that up is an extra step for me, these days. Knowing how to set up in both environments would be nice. I'm guessing there's a different link/source/branch for each?
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

athomic1 wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what to pull from where...
Here -> https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrike/code/HEAD/tree/ 8)
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Using the the TortoiseSVN client for windows it becomes part of the windows shell so interacting with the repro is just right clicking and selecting the svn function.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

gonzo wrote:
athomic1 wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what to pull from where...
Here -> https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrike/code/HEAD/tree/ 8)
Okay, this doesn't work, not with TurtleSVN, anyway. I was in the process of writing this note to ask for more help, when I realized maybe it was a common problem between TurtleSVN and SourceForge. Turns out the URL is "wrong." Here's the correct one:

https://svn.code.sf.net/p/vegastrike/code

Just in case anyone else stumbles by wondering, you can't just use the web page URL, but copy the one in the RO/HTTP field there. Now I got that in, it's pulling files like a champ!

Thanks for the help, guys! Next I get to see how to build it...
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Current source check outs

Post by TBeholder »

https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrike/code/HEAD/tree/ is a page where you start web navigation of the code. If you have JS turned on (for sf and fsdn), clicking on "RO" or "HTTP" button generates a ready command line with link to the current location - "svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/vegastrike/code/trunk vegastrike-code" and "svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/vegastrike/code/trunk vegastrike-code" respectively.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter