Delay when trying to dock to planet

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
teddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Delay when trying to dock to planet

Post by teddy »

Why is it that I am sometimes given a long delay before I am allowed to dock to a planet?

When I approach a planet, I am given the number of meters I have left to travel before I can dock. This is displayed in the lower right-hand box after the "Docking:" label. When I am close enough to dock, the number of meters left is shown as "Ready." I can then dock by pressing "D." However, sometimes, for no apparent reason, a dash will display instead of the remaining distance until docking. It will read "Docking ---". And it sometimes will just sit there for minutes. I know that I am close enough to dock, but it won't let me. If I wait long enough, the dash goes away and it will say "Docking: Ready", and then I can dock. What makes it worse is that the extra distance I travelled waiting for the dash to go away and "Ready" to come up is added to the time I have to wait when leaving the planet.

Why does it do that?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Delay when trying to dock to planet

Post by loki1950 »

It depends on the vector that you approach the planet[ vector= velocity and direction]so the least will be a straight 90 degree normal to the planet surface any shallower angle increases the time to docking distance,there is also the vector left over from your SPEC to the planet to account for as well.Most of this is a result that the engine uses real physics for movement most games just fudge the numbers and fly ships like they where planes in atmosphere.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
teddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by teddy »

Thanks, loki1950. I'm not sure that explains it though. I understand that the angle of approach and speed can account for differences in the time it takes to dock. Let me try to explain this way:

I'm in my ship, near the planet, and headed towards it. The docking distance is ticking down (8000km... 7000km... 6000km...) and so forth down to zero and then the docking distance reads "Ready". I can then press 'D' to dock. That's the way it normally goes. I understand that the distance it may start with can change and the speed at which the docking distance ticks down can change.

However, sometimes the docking distance is replaced with a dash and it no longer displays my docking distance ticking down. It just displays a dash. I've not changed my velocity at all, nor have I pressed any key or anything else. The dash appears for no apparent reason. When this dash is present, I cannot dock by pressing 'D', even though I know I am close enough to dock. I know that I am close enough to dock because just a split second ago the docking distance left to travel was 100 meters (in other words, I should be there by now). But then the dash cut in, and it just stays there for minutes. When it finally decides (who knows how) the dash will go away and it will finally read "Ready." Then, I can press D and dock. Also, I know that I am moving because there is another counter next to the docking distance that is the distance to the planet. This keeps ticking down while even as the dash is displayed.

Does this make sense?
teddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by teddy »

teddy wrote: The docking distance is ticking down (8000km... 7000km... 6000km...) and so forth down to zero and then the docking distance reads "Ready".
That should be in meters not kilometers.
teddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by teddy »

Does anybody at least know what I am talking about?

Basically, it should let you dock to a planet but it won't let you. That is, until you wait an unspecified amount of time, and distance to planet appears to have nothing to do with it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have not really had an issue with it the wait usually gives me time to drop my heart rate down after an intense dog fight the planetary stop is a rest and repair time 8)

Enjoy The Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
teddy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by teddy »

loki1950 wrote:I have not really had an issue with it the wait usually gives me time to drop my heart rate down after an intense dog fight the planetary stop is a rest and repair time 8)

Enjoy The Choice :)
Yeah, usually it's not a big deal. But sometimes it is frustrating because it makes you wait for a very long time, and there is no indication of how much longer you have to wait. There have been times when I've given up waiting and just gone to dock with another planet or installation. It would be nice to know why it does this. Is it a bug?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I imagine that it is a bug but very few code monkeys around ATM to do something about it.

Enjoy the Choice :)