New install won't launch Windows XP

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
purpdrag
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

New install won't launch Windows XP

Post by purpdrag »

Hope someone can help because it looks like this should work on this machine and I would like to try this game. It just shows splash screen for about 5 or 10 seconds while showing it is loading files then goes to a white screen which does nothing and can only end task to get out of.

Here is a copy and paste from my stderr.txt file

Code: Select all

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in C:\Program Files\Vega Strike
Using C:\Program Files\Vega Strike as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Program Files\Vega Strike/.vegastrike As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Program Files\Vega Strike/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Program Files\Vega Strike/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv -1 C:\Program Files\Vega Strike/units/units.csv
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\modules\builtin",r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\modules\quests",r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\modules\missions",r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\modules\ai",r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\modules",r"C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\bases"] + sys.path
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
  Initializing renderer...
Shader Program Error: Failed to link default to default
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Empty
FOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0
Shader Program Error: Failed to link highend to highend
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default failed... trying ../4_ps2.0/default
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"highend" fp:"highend"
Compilation of technique ../4_ps2.0/default failed... trying fixed
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"default" fp:"default"
CreateVideoTexture could not find preintro.ogv
CreateVideoTexture could not find intro.ogv
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: New install won't launch Windows XP

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard purpdrag could you post stdout.txt as well as just from stderr all that can see causing a problem and that is the shader definitions failing
to complie that may just mean that your GPU drivers don't cut the mustard so first thing is check if you can find a newer video driver as that is usually what is wrong lost count of the number times :lol: If not then do post both stdout and stderr after the new driver install one of our devs still runs XP so he may chime in :wink: BTW that white screen does point to the video drivers as being the issue.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
purpdrag
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by purpdrag »

Below is the stdout.err

Other info:
Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3
HP Pavilion Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM
Radeon 9200 Series video card

Just updated drivers and computer needs to restart so I will tell you if anything changes

Code: Select all

In path C:\Program Files\Vega Strike
Windows version 5 1
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

Using .vegastrike as the home directory
['C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\python27.zip', '.\\DLLs', '.\\lib', '.\\lib\\plat-win', '.\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike']
['C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\modules\\builtin', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\modules\\quests', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\modules\\missions', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\modules\\ai', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\modules', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\bases', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike\\python27.zip', '.\\DLLs', '.\\lib', '.\\lib\\plat-win', '.\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vega Strike']
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
using NV_CUBE_MAP
Compiling python module modules/dj.py
Initializing optimizer
Compilation of technique fixed successful
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default_simple successful
pox 119990000000.000000 -9000000.000000 -109990000000.000000
INFO: Missing video stream preintro.ogv
INFO: Missing video stream intro.ogv
Force feedback support disabled when compiled
Loading active missions True
  IS NOW AT  Special/Empty

Launching bases for Special/Empty
purpdrag
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by purpdrag »

Follow up. I stupidly attempted to update drivers the easy way by right-clicking on the device in device manager and selecting Update Drivers...

My screen rebooted to a blue screen and would not boot normally until I looked up on another computer how to safe boot and roll back the driver.

Subsequent online searches confirmed I already have the latest driver I can find, which is 8.252.0.0.

I did try Vega Strike again after all that and of course I am still getting the same error and behavior.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Ok now to get a bit creative run the setup app and dial back all the video options down especially the shaders as IIRC the radeon drivers have a bit of bug in their handling of the shader pipeline even shows up on Macs.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
purpdrag
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by purpdrag »

I tried almost every combination of settings including dialing everything all the way down. With shading set to onboard or simplest it will turn white and crash out quickly with the window disappearing. Every other combination still turns white after loading some stuff and can only be closed via task manager end task.
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Ouch. XP.

Getting updated drivers for that will be a pain as the OS went EoL(April 8, 2014) - End of Life - It's dead.

As there's no tangible support, and there's an exploit list longer than units.csv there's no real sense allowing that online unless you're actively wanting to become part of the botnet.

The registry hack to accept extended support M$ offers to installs on things like PoS systems is moot as these systems are typically isolated and many attack vectors are ignored - They won't get patched as there's no feasible way it should impact a sensibly deployed PoS system. Ergo unsuitable for "home" users. For example, none have browsers that use "the internet" so there's no work around that facet. Privlidge escalation via TrueType Fonts won't get fixed as the PoS is isolated and there's no commonly viable way to move hostile modified fonts onto the system. The list of active exploits for XP is considerable, and there's still loads to find yet.

My advice is to either upgrade the hardware - sounds like it needs it, and at that point you'd almost certainly need to upgrade the OS. Even if you don't need to you'd be stupid not to - Or swap out to a OS that carries support. I'd suggest linux, although I'm biased towards software it's possible to retain control over. If linux is alien to you then check out linuxmint - will be able to play with that via a livedisc without impacting current system, until you're comfy enough to install it. The project has goals that include ease of use - and not just to the "technically literate". You could ofc install win7/8 and then try to fight M$ from inevitably forcing upgrade to win10, doing what you can to keep the backported malware embedded into win10 from entering your system via updates - and inevitably fail. Or just decide you didn't really want any significant control over the machine and install win10. Mac OSx might be an option.

System with those specs should be able to run mint, and VS. Plenty of life left in that hardware yet(tho it's showing it's age a little) If utilised correctly. I turn the settings down to ugmo I can even get VS running on my atom-powered netbook.
Multiplayer Server Offline. Copy ony testing rig semi-funcitonal.
User Signup Offline.
Server Health Shows old data from last snapshot before the server downed.

If you have any issues you can usually find me in #vegastrike on freenode.