Very low frame rate

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Tangerine
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Very low frame rate

Post by Tangerine »

Hi!
I have a strange problem with frame rate. Most of the time I have about 100 fps, but sometimes, mostly when I look at the wireframe jump points (but not always), my frame rate drops immediately to 1 fps ant the game becomes totally unplayable. I tried changing detail settings in vssetup, but it didn't help. :(
I am using RedHat Linux 9 with 2.4.24 kernel (but I have Linux for less than two weeks, so I'm a total newbie!)
I have AMD 2500+, 256 MB RAM and Radeon 9200 SE.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Tangerine wrote:Hi!
I have a strange problem with frame rate. Most of the time I have about 100 fps, but sometimes, mostly when I look at the wireframe jump points (but not always)
Does it happen when just looking at the jumppoint or when activating the jump drive?

Pontiac
Tangerine

Post by Tangerine »

It happened when just looking at the jump point. Sometimes it happened when looking at something else such as a space station or even some point in space. Most of the time it helped when I docked somewhere and then returned back to space, but it was difficult to dock with 1 fps.
I disabled Per Pixel Lighting and it seems to be OK now, but I didn't have much time to check it.
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Tangerine wrote:It happened when just looking at the jump point. Sometimes it happened when looking at something else such as a space station or even some point in space. Most of the time it helped when I docked somewhere and then returned back to space, but it was difficult to dock with 1 fps.
I disabled Per Pixel Lighting and it seems to be OK now, but I didn't have much time to check it.
Hmmm, if it was only when jumping I would have suspected the loading and playing of the jump animation.

Just to make sure that it is vegastrike/etc that causes the slowdown: Do you have _any_ programs running in the background? .. something like virus scanner, personal firewall (yes, they work also under linux ;-) ), any quickstart program (office, mozilla,etc...), jadda jadda?

What is your swap/hd settings?

Vegastrike compiled from CVS (if so with debug or without) or a release?

Just asking random questions ;-),
Pontiac
Tangerine

Post by Tangerine »

No, I don't have anything running in the background, and I have the rpm version (I tried compiling from CVS, but I couldn't because of some errors.)
I think the problem was with my graphics card, because I disabled per pixel lighting and the game runs fine now. :)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

odd that the jump points would be affected
they don't even use per pixel lighting

try turning per pixel lighting to specuilar instead of reflective
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/