How to configure Vega Strike? (The Mac Odyssey)

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
kruiz008
Merchant
Merchant

Re: How to configure Vega Strike? (The Mac Odyssey)

Post by kruiz008 »

Thanks, that worked just fine. Didn't do anything for my .config-ing, though. I tried takeing it slow, just editing two buttons to start with. But no change whatsoever :(
kruiz008
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kruiz008 »

Here's something I thought of; I don't know if it should make any difference. I'm using a MacBook Pro which, being a laptop, naturally has a keyboard as part of it. However, when I'm at home, I typically have the laptop connected to a TV which functions as a monitor, and I use an Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad. Would the wireless keyboard possibly affect anything? Like, say, making the .config register certain keystrokes differently than it would on the laptop's own keyboard?

Sorry if that sounds silly or if I'm coming off as desperate. I just really want to get this working the way I'd like, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this problem.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

IMO this should be more blatant, but no idea how it works on Mac, and theoretically configuration may change.
HID devices love to identify themselves as keyboard, mouse, joystick, slicer, dicer and julienne fries storage medium. This leads to all sorts of bugs, especially since standards are lax - many manufacturers will release anything once it "sort of works on my version of windoze with included drivers that won't work on any other" and OS developers cannot test every single flavour of a flash stick. :) Then "works correctly" becomes a foggy concept.
So if the "smart" plug'n'play system gets buttons somehow mixed up or mixed together, or confused as to which settings are for which, well...
Get things work for a specific configuration, then try another...
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
kruiz008
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kruiz008 »

I DID IT.

I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT.

I've been able to get things working how I want, in a slightly qualified sense.

First of all, thanks to you all for putting up with my constant (and sometimes, in retrospect, kinda dumb) questions and absolute refusal to quit kicking what appeared to be a very dead horse.

Here's how I was able to configure my joystick, for future reference by any frustrated future Mac-based VS-ers:

Short version: I was doing exactly the right thing, but in the wrong place.

Long version: I was editing the .config file in the right way, but I was editing the wrong .config.

Explanation: Some of you may remember me saying that I found files named vegastrike.config in different places (both in the Vega Strike 0.5.0 app, and in the Set-Up app. In addition, in each location there was an additional file named ~vegastrike.config (or some similar, slightly altered name). I tried editing all of these at one point or another, with no result other than occasionally making the game refuse to run at all.

I had the notion to completely un-install Vega Strike and install it all over again from scratch, on the off chance (and, really, in hopes of) that, in all my editing, I had accidentally changed something I shouldn't have, and didn't remember. loki1950 told me I should find and delete the folder named .vegastrike in my home folder, as that would make my re-install truly 'from scratch' (i.e. upon being re-installed, Vega Strike wouldn't 'remember' my previous edits).

Now, .vegastrike is a 'hidden' folder, meaning that first I needed a way to find it. I found an app named InVisible, which allows one to easily toggle between showing and hiding hidden files/folders. There are other apps with similar functions, but InVisible is the one that I found that was free and that worked.

I installed InVisible and switched it to show my hidden files, went to my home folder, and found .vegastrike. Out of curiosity, I decided to open it and see what was inside. Lo and behold, there was another vegastrike.config!

I then came back to this thread, copied that joystick section of the .config that loki1950 so generously wrote for me, and used that to replace the same section of the now-exposed hidden .config. I saved the file, ran Vega Strike, and everything worked, just as it should!

I said at first that my success was 'qualified'. This is because my joystick has 2 buttons more than what the .config assumes, and I haven't assigned functions to my hat-switch yet. I've tried fixing all that a few times, but every time I do, the game itself won't load properly. It opens in a window (rather than full-screen), showing me a more basic-looking HUD before automatically 'docking' my ship on some random planet where I can't do anything but look at menus. So I still have some work to do, but for now I'm just happy to have the most basic functions exactly as I like them.

Thanks again for all your help, and hopefully my long odyssey can help make someone else's shorter.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Woo Who! :D :D I should have noticed that you where editing the wrong file :oops: The one in .vegastrike is definitely the right one on all *nix based systems and OSX is Unix based.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2