modifications and PY questions

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

modifications and PY questions

Post by PaulB »

I've got more questions if someone can help.

(1) Is it only the Upgrade_Storage_Volume that determines what Upgrades can be added to a ship?

(2) What Is Upgrade_Storage_Volume and how and where is it calculated (this initial ship's value)? It's not a field in the units.csv but it is a field in the saved game {shipname}.csv file.

(3) Is it calculated in one of the .py files and if so which one? I know that each upgrade you buy subtracts it's volume from the total and if you run out you can't add any more upgrades.

(4) Which .py file is used for the purchasing of new a ship? (it doesn't seem to be ship_upgrades.py that I can tell, but that file is quite different from the one in PGG.)

(5) On another note - regarding the communications lines displayed in the upper left of the cockpit display - some of the Comms are in a darker colored text (red or brown ) and with my bad eyesight they are pretty hard for me to read. Does one of the .py files handle that (if so which one?) and can I change the color?
(6) Also the same question regarding the text color of the Load Game screen? I have a hard tme reading the file names of the games I've saved.

Thanks much,
Paul
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: modifications and PY questions

Post by klauss »

PaulB wrote:I've got more questions if someone can help.

(1) Is it only the Upgrade_Storage_Volume that determines what Upgrades can be added to a ship?
There's also the forbidden upgrades, IIRC.
PaulB wrote:(5) On another note - regarding the communications lines displayed in the upper left of the cockpit display - some of the Comms are in a darker colored text (red or brown ) and with my bad eyesight they are pretty hard for me to read. Does one of the .py files handle that (if so which one?) and can I change the color?
I think that's in vegastrike.config (though not sure)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

PaulB wrote:(2) What Is Upgrade_Storage_Volume and how and where is it calculated (this initial ship's value)? It's not a field in the units.csv but it is a field in the saved game {shipname}.csv file.
It is. See 8th column from the end in units.csv (in the split system vessels.csv got it placed more sensibly, between Hold and Upgrades).
PaulB wrote:(4) Which .py file is used for the purchasing of new a ship?
I don't know what do you mean, but if you want to nw how to handle Upgrades vs. Ships at shipyards, see room nodes of existing VS bases. Of course, the selling unit must have this ship as cargo to begin with - they are handled just like any other goods, except need a different function to be added to "My Fleet" rather than loaded into hold.
PaulB wrote:(5) On another note - regarding the communications lines displayed in the upper left of the cockpit display - some of the Comms are in a darker colored text (red or brown ) and with my bad eyesight they are pretty hard for me to read. Does one of the .py files handle that (if so which one?) and can I change the color?
Huh, turned out to be hardcoded in GetRelationshipColor (vegastrike/src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp - gah, it's all over the place). Got to fix that. For now, try to set confvar graphics/hud/text_background_alpha higher, on slightly more opaque VDUs text will be more discernible...
PaulB wrote:(6) Also the same question regarding the text color of the Load Game screen? I have a hard tme reading the file names of the games I've saved.
...but first, try all 3 font settings in vssetup.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

TBeholder
(2) Upgrade_Storage_Volume ----- Well my old age and eyesight really made me miss that :)
(4) room nodes of existing VS bases --- Thanks, I see them now.
(5) confvar graphics/hud/text_background_alpha ---- Where is that at? I can't find it...
(5) Nevermind - I see where it would go and added it in and will try it out.

One I did figure out was the filename colors in the Main Load screen - in computer_lib.py - like it is in PGG. I just changed the screen color to screen_color = GUI.GUIColor(255/255.0, 255/255.0 ,10/255.0)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Huh, turned out to be hardcoded in GetRelationshipColor (vegastrike/src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp - gah, it's all over the place). Got to fix that. For now, try to set confvar graphics/hud/text_background_alpha higher, on slightly more opaque VDUs text will be more discernible...
Solved in SVN [r13671] - adding entries "relation_enemy", "relation_friend", "relation_neutral" in colors section of vegastike.config sets arbitrary highlighting colors for messages - separate from radar colors; same goes for "player_name" - marking outgoing messages in (0,0,1) was badly visible for me, (0.2, 0.2, 1) is so much better. Color blending by relations is adjusted with "scale_relationship_color" variable in graphics/hud subsection.
Defaults are left as they were in hardcoded version: message colors red/green/yellow like on radar, relationship scaled 10.0 for blending - i.e. relationship +10%/-10% or more will max it out to full friend/enemy color.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter