Vegastrike crash help

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Vegastrike crash help

Post by PaulB »

I don't want to repost the whole thing but I hope someone can read my post and help with a crash at startup.

http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19285

Paul
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Vegastrike crash help

Post by PaulB »

UPDATE:
I've got an update.
I've tried a number of things.
(1) I tried lowering Graphics detail and no or lower shaders and no sound (at different times as well as all together). Still crashed and in some cases with lower detail I got bunches of white lines when the loading was trying to display the text loading messages at the bottom of the screen. Also I DID get some debut errors then which may or may not be relevant"

Code: Select all

Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2
(1) : error C0201: unsupported version 130
(6) : warning C7022: unrecognized profile specifier "highp"
(6) : warning C7022: unrecognized profile specifier "precision"
(6) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting identifier or reserved word "operator" or template identifier or type identifier at token ";"
(6) : error C0501: type name expected at token ";"
(1) : warning C7537: OpenGL does not allow 'uniform' after a type specifier
(3) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec4"
(3) : error C0501: type name expected at token "vec4"
(4) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec4"
(4) : error C0501: type name expected at token "vec4"
(5) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec4"
(5) : error C0501: type name expected at token "vec4"
(6) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec4"
(6) : error C0501: type name expected at token "vec4"
(7) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected identifier at token "vec4"
(7) :
Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile planet/ground_ps3.0
Compilation of technique earth failed... trying 4_ps2.0/earth
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"planet/ground_vs1.1" fp:"planet/ground_ps3.0"
(2) I tried used the Music Fix exe file with not much better results.
THEN
(3) I decided on a wild card - I set graphics detail to Extreme and left all the other settings at their defaults (except I'm using 800x600 Windowed mode - but that's not relevant). And guess what? That fixed the crash on startup.

I can now load the program normally. I must have set Detail to Extreme when I 1st tried the program a month or so back (and then deleted it) and that's why it worked right off the bat.
I have no clue why it crashes with anything less than Extreme Detail except that this laptop is a Dell Precision M65 w/2G ram 1.8G intell dual core, and nvidia Quadro FX 350m - so it's old - circa 2002 or 3 - but It's been running PPG 1.03 at Extreme detail and I lso recently download Evochron Mercenary (newest Versio) to try it's demo to see if I like it and it runs fine.

So my conclusion is Vegastrike needs some more debugging.
Paul
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

All the errors that are in that particular output are shader related which seems to reinforce that the current issue is graphics related we have over the years exposed several bugs in GPU drivers mostly ATI/AMD but nVidia has had it's share so is there a new driver available,we do recommend that you have the latest drivers before you install the game :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

I don't think so - the M65 and vnidia quadro fx350m being circa 2002 and and obsolete.
I bought the M65 on ebay from a refurbusher in 2010 or so and he did a good job - Dell XP pro sp3.
But thus far it seems to be working fine with Extreme detail and Highest shader settings. It would be nice if i could try a lower detail setting but what the heck.

What I want now is to find or figure out how to understand the ship settings in units.csv.
I have an idea of some fo them but not how they interact like reactor settings and maneuver settings.
I've take the Galaxy ship from PPG and edited & copied files into VS and it's working - but I need to understand the settings U - W and AQ - BO better.
At first it took forever to get up to speed and maneuver so i increased from 50000 range to 900000+ range and lowered mass to 35 - which are far different from PPG settings.
PPG

"galaxy.begin","./galaxy","galaxy","FIXME","FIXME","SHUTTLE","WRITEME","galaxy-hud.spr",20,"galaxy-cockpit.cpt",-0.03,-0.05,0.46,"{galaxy.bfxm;;}",,,,,,300,300,,1,92.5,92.5,92.5,88.75,88.75,88.75,88.75,90,90,0,0,0,0,,,,,0,0,6,0,0,FALSE,10,,1,0,0,32767,45000,40000,45000,133,124,133,55000,55000,55000,150000,150000,150000,150000,1290,510
VS

"Galaxy.stock","./vessels/Galaxy","Galaxy","MANEUVOUR","Vessel","SHUTTLE","Venerable LIHW built armed medium fighter/cargo shuttle","galaxy-hud.spr",20,"galaxy-cockpit.cpt",-0.03,-0.05,0.46,"{galaxy.bfxm;;}",,,,,,,35,35,3000,500,140,140,140,140,140,140,140,140,150,150,150,150,,,,,150,0,1200,800,320,FALSE,1,,200,120,1,4,950000,950000,950000,140,140,140,950000,950000,950000,950000,950000,950000,950000,1500,650
The Vegastrike wiki is only of marginal help so far.
I can't even really compare settings with other vegastrike ships since the game documentation is so lacking when it comes to ship/equipment descriptions compared to PPG
I can't easily tell a good ship from a mediokre ship in VS - from the descriptions and especially from the csv settings.

Paul
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

loki1950 wrote:All the errors that are in that particular output are shader related which seems to reinforce that the current issue is graphics related we have over the years exposed several bugs in GPU drivers mostly ATI/AMD but nVidia has had it's share so is there a new driver available,we do recommend that you have the latest drivers before you install the game :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
Two things. One, yes, they seem to be shader related. But, compiling shaders shouldn't even be attempted if he chose "No Shaders". So it's either a problem in vssetup or in the data set, because, AFAIK, that technique (earth) effectively defaults to a fixed-function technique (ie: no shaders) when the setting is "No Shaders".

Second thing is, even if the cards themselves are old, shader compilation is very much driver-dependent. So bugs in shader compilers can in fact be fixed by updating the drivers. A word of caution, though, the latest drivers from nVidia don't support very old chips, so do check compatibility before updating.

And do check that the setting has effectively been set to "No Shaders", because from the looks of it, it wasn't.

Oh, and do try lower shader settings while leaving detail in Extreme. They control different things, and I bet lower shader settings won't result in any crash (there's no reason they'd change anything other than performance). The thing that is prompting the crash is most likely the detail setting, which also controls line antialiasing and stuff that may be broken in your driver.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

Thanks klauss but the crash problem is fixed by simply using Extreme Detail and the default Nicest Shaders.

However the errors:
Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2
(6) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting identifier or reserved word "operator" or template identifier or type identifier at token ";"
(7) :
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"planet/ground_vs1.1" fp:"planet/ground_ps3.0"

Still occur in the debug file. I have no clue why unless the install archive from the web site has corrupted files in it. I have no idea wat those errors mean.

Now anyone know why I can't get 2 new weapons I added can't be bought?
when they do show up at the ship upgrades they are grayed out.
I got one ammo to work - or buy it anyway - Proton Torpedo.

But I can't buy the Tachyon Cannon nor Plasma Gun I added.
I put entries in units.csv and in master_parts_list.csv and in weapons_list.xml.

The Wiki (which I guess refers to 0.5.0 says to also create a file in units/factions/upgrades/ - but there is no such folder (upgrades) in units/factions/ in 0.5.1 r1.

Even if I try to hard-code them in the Galaxy.stock that I added - the mounts come up empty when I go to the shipyard (and view the ship info before purchasing it).
I'm pretty sure it's not the ship because initially I had it hard-coded with VS weapons in them and even now I can buy other guns and add them - just not the new ones I added.

Is there some .py file that determines what you can buy or have? I'm assuming maybe it's ship_upgrades.py but if so, I can't figure it out - unless it's the Diff code.
One thing - when I click the Tachyon that was grayed out - the description was totally NOT the description in the master_parts_list.xml. It was saying something about a lot of stuff that would affect the ships physics - shields, armor, and such - as if you were adding a capacitor or reactor enhancement or something.

What is the procedure to add a new weapon to 0.5.1 ?

Paul
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

PaulB wrote:Thanks klauss but the crash problem is fixed by simply using Extreme Detail and the default Nicest Shaders.

However the errors:
(7) :

Still occur in the debug file. I have no clue why unless the install archive from the web site has corrupted files in it. I have no idea wat those errors mean.
That's normal when your GPU or driver can't handle GLSL 1.3 (unsupported version 130 is the clue). That means you need a lower shader setting, most likely, but if the game doesn't crash (some drivers crash, if it did, it would be a driver bug), no problem (it will seamlessly fall back to lower shader settings).
PaulB wrote:Now anyone know why I can't get 2 new weapons I added can't be bought?
when they do show up at the ship upgrades they are grayed out.
I got one ammo to work - or buy it anyway - Proton Torpedo.
The buyable-upgrade stuff isn't fresh on my mind, so probably someone else will have more accurate and/or direct pointers, but AFAIK, you need to also add your gun to a category that is exported by the bases you want to buy it at. Usually, that means adding it to the Weapons/whatever category, and making sure that category (or a superset) is mentioned in the exports column for the bases (in units.csv).
Wing Commander Universe
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

That's normal when your GPU or driver can't handle GLSL 1.3 (unsupported version 130 is the clue). That means you need a lower shader setting, most likely, but if the game doesn't crash (some drivers crash, if it did, it would be a driver bug), no problem (it will seamlessly fall back to lower shader settings).
I don't know what that means - but Geeks 3D Caps Viewer shows my OpenGL to be:
OpenGL 2.1 (Quadro FX 350M/PCI/SSE2 with 142 ext.)

As i said - this is a pretty old laptop and I had tried searching for newer openGL when I 1st started looking at Games and I could not find any newer versions available.
Paul
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

GLSL 1.3 is OpenGL 3.0, so it makes sense. Your Quadro must be GLSL 1.2
Wing Commander Universe
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

klauss wrote:GLSL 1.3 is OpenGL 3.0, so it makes sense. Your Quadro must be GLSL 1.2
I found this about my fx 350m drivers:
OpenGL support: 2.1
DirectX support: 9.0c
Pixel shader model: 3.0
Vertex shader model: 3.0

I have the last driver that Dell released for the FX-350M and my Precision M65. There are no newer drivers - even from nvidia. They are dateed 11/6/2007.
Does this mean it's still not the needed shaders you menioned?
Paul
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

PaulB wrote:
klauss wrote:GLSL 1.3 is OpenGL 3.0, so it makes sense. Your Quadro must be GLSL 1.2
I found this about my fx 350m drivers:
OpenGL support: 2.1
DirectX support: 9.0c
Pixel shader model: 3.0
Vertex shader model: 3.0

I have the last driver that Dell released for the FX-350M and my Precision M65. There are no newer drivers - even from nvidia. They are dateed 11/6/2007.
Does this mean it's still not the needed shaders you menioned?
Paul
Yes, like I said, you need OpenGL 3.0, but your card supports only up to 2.1
Wing Commander Universe