Returning to VS, having some problems

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Returning to VS, having some problems

Post by ScottHorn »

So I played VS for a while a few years ago and loved it. I recently upgraded my PC, and decided to give it a go again. I'm running windows 7. I downloaded tortoiseSVN and got the most recent revision (13666 I believe). I ran the setup and chose the highest settings I could for all the graphics options. When I start the game, I get the splash screen then a message that says "no rooms specified" with a big gray cross-like shape in the middle of the screen. Did I miss a step somewhere? In addition to this problem I have a few more questions:

1. How much would I miss out on by getting 0.5.1r1 vs the latest SVN? Are there any major fixes or new content in the SVN?
2. I noticed an option in the setup for realistic, classic, or default physics. What does this option affect?
3. Since I've got all this sweet new hardware, I want maximum eye candy. I seem to recall reading about a high quality texture pack or something similar. How do I get that, either with 0.5.1r1 or the SVN?

I'm eager to get back into this game. I used the SVN last time, and after a few minor hiccups it worked pretty well. I'd appreciate any assistance you all can offer.

Scott Horn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Returning to VS, having some problems

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome back Scott :D you got the dreaded "no Rooms" message heh try a search on the forums it's been happening for years so you aren't the first if that gives you no joy please post stdout.txt and stderr.txt so I can have a better look at it.What we think is happening is that it does not find one of the Python modules that defines those missing rooms,but the reason it can't find it have escaped us :twisted:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Post by ScottHorn »

I got impatient, deleted my SVN copy, and got 0.5.1r1. It seems to work without a hitch, though it gets a bit unstable when I set the graphics to the "extreme" settings. I'd think an AMD fx-6100, Radeon HD 7770, and 8 gb of ram would be enough, but apparently not.

Any answers to the other three questions in my first post? Mainly, what has been improved in the current SVN, and is there an additional graphics pack I can download somewhere? Also, I'm curious about the new physics options which don't seem to appear in the 0.5.1r1 version.

Scott Horn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

No solar system crashing changes ;) maybe a few new ships those physics enhancements are mostly to allow control with out the "Flight-Comp" to be a bit more intuitive.The stability of the AMD drivers is what I would question first :lol: their rep in that area stinks.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Post by ScottHorn »

I tried re-downloading the SVN and putting the python related .dll files from the forum posts in every vegastrike related directory I could find, and still got the "no rooms" error. Sorry I don't have a stderror or stdout file to show, as I wanted to get back to playing. I couldn't find a forum post where anyone had successfully resolved this issue. Is there an SVN version that doesn't suffer from the "no rooms" error. If not, can you point me to a definitive solution to this problem?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I am currently using a fairly new install of fedora 20 but I have had no problems myself with the svn version on may Win7 partition by the way the dll's should all go into the bin folder no other place otherwise the exe could not find them ;) I will have to do a bit of asking about that "no rooms" error as IIRC it is just one module and it should be in the modules folder it is a Python script not a dll. I just forget which one it is darn senior moments :lol:

warpnoob
Trader
Trader

Post by warpnoob »

I just wanted to interlude and specify the "cross-shape" you have seen in the first post.
That's a dumbfire missile, and it's your ship.
Yup, you did not mishear. There is, however, a solution to this problem: While in space, press Shift+1 (multiple times, if necessary), then ";".
Besides, I strongly recommend playing 0.5.0., as the newest version misses crosshairs over targeted, far away objects, and has one VEEEEEEERY minor bug: It usually crashes when you approach jump points and, more rarely, stations or planets. But when would you ever want to do that, eh? Ha, ha, ha...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The "no room specified" thing is a python issue. stdout/err.txt must have a full description of the problem in the form of a traceback, and I'm guessing it has something to do with missing .pyc files in the builtins .zip file that recently replaced the builtins folder in SVN. There's another thread about the matter.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

warpnoob wrote:I just wanted to interlude and specify the "cross-shape" you have seen in the first post.
That's a dumbfire missile, and it's your ship.
Yup, you did not mishear. There is, however, a solution to this problem: While in space, press Shift+1 (multiple times, if necessary), then ";".
Besides, I strongly recommend playing 0.5.0., as the newest version misses crosshairs over targeted, far away objects, and has one VEEEEEEERY minor bug: It usually crashes when you approach jump points and, more rarely, stations or planets. But when would you ever want to do that, eh? Ha, ha, ha...
I haven't played the game much because I'm still making mods. But I have docked on a couple of stations and a planet and not had any crashes in 0.5.1 r1.
My only problem so far was as I described in my post on crashing on startup - but then this is a XP laptop. I have tried any of my games (PPG, VS, Silent Hunter (dosbox)) on my new Win 7 64 desktop build yet.
Paul
warpnoob
Trader
Trader

Post by warpnoob »

Quick question about this though: If the "no room" error is known, and already resolved, why is it not yet in the main repository?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Because it is the result of a corrupted install so not because of anything missing in that installer BTW I have rarely seen it with a Linux Install :wink: or one self built as it seems to be caused by missing modules in the built-in functions.

warpnoob
Trader
Trader

Post by warpnoob »

loki1950 wrote:Because it is the result of a corrupted install so not because of anything missing in that installer
I have no idea how that makes sense. If you're saying a file is corrupted, then simply update the file! That's how the repository works, right?
Also, the only patch I've found is outdated.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

warpnoob wrote:
loki1950 wrote:Because it is the result of a corrupted install so not because of anything missing in that installer
I have no idea how that makes sense. If you're saying a file is corrupted, then simply update the file! That's how the repository works, right?
Also, the only patch I've found is outdated.
He's saying that the bug only happens with a corrupted installation of python. That's true for Linux, and windows if we required a pre-existing python installation to run the game. But we don't. We ship our own copy of python's stdlib just to make windows users lives easier. What's corrupt, is the copy that sits right now in SVN (I think).

I don't develop in windows, I don't even have a windows box anywhere anymore, so I can't neither check nor fix it myself. But I do believe it's just a matter of adding the missing files to py27_modules.7z
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
warpnoob
Trader
Trader

Post by warpnoob »

Thanks, that didn't resolve the no rooms issue, nor the "shields don't recharge after SPEC" issue, but at least the computer works now.
ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Post by ScottHorn »

Just to update my post, I went back to the release version and played until I got my llama pretty tricked out and had about 500k towards a new ship. On a whim I tried the SVN again. I still got the no rooms error. I put the files from py27 and py3 in modules, but still got the error. What solved it for me was a seperate file that I installed in the data/modules/builtin directory. I can't find the post I got it from, but if anyone's having this problem still, there's a place to start.

WOW. The physics between the two are really different. I guess this is what's been happening since last time I played the SVN. It took me some mouse sensitivity tweaking to make the release playable, so the new physics eliminate that problem at the very least. Can anyone explain the different physics options in vegasetup? As I recall they are classic, default, and realistic. Do they require a new game to take effect, or can I swap without starting a new game? I'm playing on realistic now, but haven't tried the other two.
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

I can't swear this is the problem or solution to some of the No Rooms problems - but last night while I was working on Mods - I got the No Rooms error when everything has been working.
I kinda knew it was something I had done. And I had one of two ideas where the problem was.
As it turned out it was (for me since I had been editing it) in ships_upgrades.py.
And looking it over carefully - I wasn't sure at 1st what the problem was - so I took out the edits and restarted the game and the error was gone.
I put them back and got the No Rooms - so I looked again and the only difference I could see I could see from my "working" and "no working" last mods was one line I added in which I used Tabs instead of all spaces at the beginning of the line - so I took out the tabs and used spaces and the No Rooms error vanished.

Of course someone getting the error with a new install might have a terrible time tracking down that problem if there was no error reference in the stderr.txt file to point to a particular .py file.
I think there was some such errors logged but I don't think they listed the specific .py file.
But anyone looking - perhaps try using a text editor that can that can do a find for Tabs.
Paul
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

So it comes down to Python's white space sensitivity.That happened most likely because someone got lazy while editing a Python module the use of tab's is discouraged by most Python style guides now we know why :roll:

ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Post by ScottHorn »

I hate to beat a dead horse but:

Can anyone answer my original question about the new physics settings in the setup? I see "classic", "default" and "realistic". What do they do? Is one intended to me more playable or less buggy than the others?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Uh, same as old "Hasty Gameplay" etc settings - tweaking physics/game_speed and physics/game_accel.
Oh, also they set up, but skipped in dropbox "hardcore" option.

I think that also at least turning off missile_bounce and gun_speed_adjusted_game_speed on higher settings would be a good idea, though.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter