Vega Strike not reading config file

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Vega Strike not reading config file

Post by Meatbagwammo »

I'm having trouble getting Vega Strike to read the vegastrike.config file.

When I use the Setup program to change the resolution and graphic settings and hit any save settings button, then start Vega Strike, none of the settings are being used.

I looked at the .config file and Setup saved everything to it, but whenever I start up Vega Strike, it's still in a small resolution.

My computer:
Windows 7,
Intel I7 quad core
ATI Radeon 6770m
8GB RAM

I don't know if this helps but I also tried running vegastrike.exe and setup.exe in admin mode, as well as in compatability mode for Windows XP SP3 and SP2.

Thanks for your help,
Meatbagwammo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Vega Strike not reading config file

Post by klauss »

Can you attach stdout/stderr.txt? (it will say where it's reading the config from)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

Here they are.

Thanks,
Meatbagwammo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

A stupid, but necessary question: is config file written in the first place? As in, the next time you run setup, does it show the parameters saved from the previous time, or default ones?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'm not the windows expert here, but...

Code: Select all

CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Users\Dustin/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Games\Vega Strike/vegastrike.config
Did you check if that second file has your changes after running setup? Did you check reasons why setup would fail to write such files? (ie: permissions, disk space, whatever)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

TBeholder wrote:A stupid, but necessary question: is config file written in the first place? As in, the next time you run setup, does it show the parameters saved from the previous time, or default ones?
The one in the C:\games\vega strike has saved changes from when I use setup.exe.

I'll check the other location in my user folder.

Thanks again guys,
meatbagwammo

*edit*
I didn't have a file in the .vegastrike folder, I coppied the one that I had to that folder and tried running the game but it still doesn't work. :cry:
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Nothing of any use in the logs. Not sure why it is not reading the config correctly. Are you running the svn version of the game? Only possible idea I can come up with is a possible clash with something added after the last compile... If its the 0.5.1r1 download.. I haven't the foggiest.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

pheonixstorm wrote:Are you running the svn version of the game?
No, I'm using 0.5.1r1, I also downloaded the patched music binary too.

What would Vega Strike use if I were to add it to the permissions for the config file? Would it use my user permissions (I am admin, if that helps) or the Everyone group's permissions?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Not sure.. my copy on 32 bit win7 doesn't have the same issues. I have a non standard install though. E:\Games\VegaStrike so I don't run into the usual file permission issues others have when installing to a default \progrm files\ folder (can't write to that folder, fixed in svn). You are also using a nonstandard install though I have noticed windows is rather touchy when dealing with most of the C:\ drive.

Not really sure what the problem is though.. Not even a theory yet either... Post your config file, maybe something there can shed some light. May also want to post a dxdiag as well, maybe we are missing something else completely unrelated.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

Ok, here are my config and dxdiag files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

One thing I did forget to ask.. what value did you use for the screen res? Was it full screen or windowed? What screen res did it look like the game was trying to use?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Don't really see anything out of place.. have you tried setting different resolutions to see if you get the same problem? 1366x768 is what is set in the config and what your default res is for your laptop.

@klauss does the extra debug options spit out resolution data?
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

1366x768 is my native resolution. It seems like it's trying to use a resolution around 800x600 or lower.

Looking back to what klauss posted, in some of the places where there are slashes, they aren't using the correct slash.

C:\Users\Dustin/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
should be:
C:\Users\Dustin\.vegastrike\vegastrike.config

This could be really important for Windows users because Windows would be (if my understanding of Windows serves me correctly) looking for a folder (or file) called "Dustin/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config" rather than a file in C:\Users\Dustin\.vegastrike\

I don't know if this is just how it gets printed in the debug, or if this is something coded in the engine.

When I use "/" instead of "\" in explorer it corrects the path automatically, but this might not be the case when Vega Strike tries to access the file from there.
(I wouldn't know exactly, I'm kind of guessing based on my limited experience)

A couple months ago I had to add and remove a couple things from my PATH system variable. I don't know if this could cause any trouble, but for some reason I have a feeling that it might.

Thanks again for your help.
Meatbagwammo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I don't think the path changes would be an issue nor the slashes. Like I said, mine works fine even with the odd slash usage.

The only other thing that comes to mind here is something has gone wrong with your opengl drivers for your video card. Have you installed new drivers recently? Are you using the latest stable ATI drivers?

It is possible (though unlikely) that soemthing is wrong with your opengl and it is trying to run in some type of software emulation which would account for the odd screen resolution, but again I have no idea.. never bought an ATI card and don't have 64bit windows installed. I do know however that 64bit win7 has been hit or miss more often than not with ATI boards. Or at least most of the reported problems have been related to ATI and 64bit win7.

I think sometime this month I will finally get around to doing clean install of my major OSes (XP, 7, Ubuntu) and should be able to add 64bit win7. Once I have that running testing under win64 will be a lot easier and maby I can finally get some of the current crop of 64bit issues ironed out.

So, check your graphics drivers.. Upgrade if needed or perhaps try a downgrade if you have the latest. Maybe even try the beta drivers if you are up for it. For all I know its something wrong with the drivers.. hard to really tell though without running into the issue myself.
Meatbagwammo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Meatbagwammo »

I used to have a lot of problems with opengl but when I switched to the beta drivers I have installed now my graphics card has never been more stable. I tried updating the drivers to a more "current" version of the stable drivers a few weeks ago and it was absolutly horrible. I couldn't run an opengl program without the drivers crashing. :roll:

I'll try updating them again since it's been a while since the last time I tried.

*EDIT*

I updated my drivers and it does the same thing as before.