CVS Installation

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
cathedral

CVS Installation

Post by cathedral »

I have downloaded and compiled the vegastrike module and am part way through downloading the data module but I am not sure what to do after I have downloaded this.

I guess I have to run make on it or something. Could someone please tell me what needs to be done to install the game fully. I have seen a setup.sh mentioned in several postings but have not seen the file anywhere. What is this used for?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

use ./configure, then make

Post by ace123 »

I assume you're in linux. If not, be more specific next time.

here's what you do (nearly all programs that install from source use these steps):

cd [VEGASTRIKEDIR]/vegastrike
./configure [any options if you need them: use ./configure --help if it does not work]

then when ./configure exits without an error, do:

make

When make finishes: (ONLY if you want to be able to run vegastrike from the command line and have root access)

su
Type root password.
make install

or if you have sudo, simply:

sudo make install
Type root password
cathedral

Post by cathedral »

Ummm, yeah I can do all that but I just don´t know how the data directory fits into the whole deal. Is it compiled seperately or just copied somewhere or is there a special script which takes care of it? Same question for the vssetup module.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

make a directory called vegastrike
inside that put the vegastrike and data4.x directories from CVS.
then go into vegastrike/vegastrike and run make.

Use http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/files ... e-0.4.1.sh
That will correctly install vegastrike.
And cvs won't redownload data if you run this from the correct place.
cathedral

Post by cathedral »

Thanks for the help.

One final question though. I'm on a 33.6k connection and need to download the data4.x dir over multiple sessions. Can I just kill the download, then do an update on the main directory later or would there be corruption?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

yeah just kill the d/l
then you can checkout agan from the same place or else do update from inside data4.x.
I don't think there is corruption.