Hi need help with joystick

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Xanderxavier
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Hi need help with joystick

Post by Xanderxavier »

Hi I have a Thrustmaster T16000M, and this game does not seem to like it at all, it only accepts two axis of control despite 3 axis setting, because the tilt access has somehow decided to attach itself to the joysticks throttle control, so I cant use the throttle to accell/decell and infact if i accidently even nudge it from the equilibrium point it sets my ship into a uncontrollable spin, I've taken a look at your config page, but frankly cant make heads nor tails of it, also how do you quit this game, thus far as there appears to be no ingame options menu i've had to ctrl + alt + del and manually kill the process to actually quit.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t16000m

So err yeah any help would be appreciated as I'd like to play the game but at this point cant see how, dont really fancy keyboard and mouse control only, without some kind of in engine joystick setup page, dont see how I can get my joystick with 21 buttons (the 21st is the trigger) + analog throttle slider working + the point of view thingy working, even with just a few, the only things that work is left right up down and the primary trigger seems to fire the weapons.

Ty in advance if anyone can help me and if not ce la vae.

Xander
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Hi need help with joystick

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard Xanderxavier how are you at editing XML :wink: you don't mention if you are Linux or Win user that will influence where you will the vegastrike.conf file to edit have a look at http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Manual:Config#Joystick there is also and other page about customizing for a particular stick can't seem to find iy myself ATM :x now about quiting the game hit "Esc" then click on quit.If you have more issues just post someone is bound to know how to help.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Take a look at the bit of "code" in the first post of this thread:
http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 6&p=128994
it's the relevant excerpt of the vegastrike.config for the poster's X52;
as you see, each axis has its index, swap the values for z and throttle and you're done.

Disclaimer: wild guess ahead :)
Similarly, you might try adding more lines for the buttons, appropriately indexed up to 20 and assigned to the functions of your choice.

Backing up the vegastrike.config first is always a good measure...

HTH
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

If you create the perfect key binding for that joystick combination, it may be worth while sharing your XML here and or on the wiki Joystick Bindings page. The XML code is located in the vegastrike.config file in the install directories and latter if you don't like the keyboard controls you can swap those out too.

Actually to quit in most older currently common versions of the game, it depends where you are. If in a base you need to open up the Save/Load screen from an in game computer console, the quit button is located in there. If in space press "Esc" the press "Q". We don't know what version you are playing though.

If quitting and saving has been made more intuitive already by use of the "Esc" Key in the development version I am relieved, because it will resolve one of the biggest new user questions on Desura.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The XML code is located in the vegastrike.config file in the install directories and latter if you don't like the keyboard controls you can swap those out too
Sorry but that is not the copy of the file that is actually used on Linux it is in the .vegastrike folder in your home folder on windows it is in the root folder of the install folder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

loki1950 wrote:The file that is actually used on Linux it is in the .vegastrike folder in your home folder
Ha Ha quite correct, I assumed windows and also forgot that using a Linux installer script places a copy of the file there. I avoid Linux install scripts for that reason.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IansterGuy wrote:
loki1950 wrote:The file that is actually used on Linux it is in the .vegastrike folder in your home folder
Ha Ha quite correct, I assumed windows and also forgot that using a Linux installer script places a copy of the file there. I avoid Linux install scripts for that reason.
It's not the install script. It's the game itself, because in linux, you can't write in /usr, so you have to store the modified copy in /home/user/.vegastrike
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've been meaning to get myself a thrustmaster too, so I might as well upload a config setting for it when I finally do.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

klauss wrote:It's not the install script. It's the game itself, because in Linux, you can't write in /usr, so you have to store the modified copy in /home/user/.vegastrike
Well it took a while to remember but I think I have an explanation why I thought that way. Settings would not save without elevated user rights I believe. Ever since Vista had forced me to 'Run as Administrator' I felt it normal to just run 'VS Setup' elevated in Linux too by leading with "gksu" in the terminal. I can't tell you why I thought that was easier. I'll probably be doing it properly now.

As for joysticks, I use my dads old 'Suncom SFS flight controler' with a controller to USB adapter. Two axis, 4 button and a hat that the cheap adapter does not support. I never changed the configuration and it seems to work the way I would set it up.