No Music No Voice Linux Mint 15 64 bit

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

No Music No Voice Linux Mint 15 64 bit

Post by Nov8tr »

I am running Linux Mint 15 64 bit. I have the IA 32 libs installed. I have went thru all the post i could find here. Installed all the required libs, devs, devel, etc. Made sure pretty much every allowable verion of py is installed. Every sound extra related to to py or ogg or m3u or mkv, lol. I've had this game running in the past on many different version of Linus by various builders. I have ALWAYS has sound problems with ALL the 64 bit installs. This has persisted over several different systems with completely different equipment. Well I have been trying for several days now to get this to work. I have the sound of shooting my guns. But Oswald is silent and no music either. The graphics look great and everything appears to work graphics wise fine. I won't know completely till I am able to get music/voice working. I got the install from get-deb and it installed the sound/music/voice and all the rest of the extras as well. The install appeared to go fine with no error messages. I've checked the files in usr/share/games/vegastrike and they appear to be correct. And I checked the .vegastrke in the home folder and it looks ok to me. Need some help here guys, I'd like to play the game but really want the music and voice since they add so much atmosphere to the game. Thank!

I started the game just now with the console and here is the output. I let the game start, then launched to space. let Oswald start talking then exited the game.

danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ vegastrike
Registering codec ogg.
In path /usr/games
Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in /usr/share/games/vegastrike
Using /usr/share/games/vegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /usr/share/games/vegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/danny/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/danny/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /usr/share/games/vegastrike
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv -1 /usr/share/games/vegastrike/units/units.csv
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/quests",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/missions",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/ai",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/bases"] + sys.path
['/usr/lib/python2.7/', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-x86_64-linux-gnu', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/quests', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/missions', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/ai', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/bases', '/usr/lib/python2.7/', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-x86_64-linux-gnu', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload']
Creating scene manager...
Creating template manager...
Initializing renderer...
axes: 3 buttons: 15 hats: 0
axes: 3 buttons: 15 hats: 0
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
using NV_CUBE_MAP
Compiling python module modules/dj.py
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Empty
No such special key: keypad-enter
No such special key: keypad-minus
No such special key: keypad-plus
No such special key: keypad-divide
No such special key: keypad-multiply
No such special key: keypad-8
No such special key: keypad-2
No such special key: keypad-5
No such special key: keypad-4
No such special key: keypad-6
No such special key: pause
No such special key: keypad-3
No such special key: keypad-9
No such special key: keypad-7
No such special key: keypad-1
FOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0
CREATING A LOCAL SHIP : dumbfire
Hi helper play 0
HereInitializing optimizer
Compilation of technique fixed successful
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default successful
Compilation of technique 5_ps3.0/default_simple successful
pox 119990000000.000000 -9000000.000000 -109990000000.000000
CreateVideoTexture could not find preintro.ogv
INFO: Missing video stream preintro.ogv
CreateVideoTexture could not find intro.ogv
INFO: Missing video stream intro.ogv
Force feedback support disabled when compiled
Loading completed, now network init
Loading active missions True
IS NOW AT Special/Empty

Launching bases for Special/Empty
Adding news
initin
Found ship named : Llama.begin
Faction not found assigning default one: privateer
Error: Cannot Open Unit Llama.begin from save file New_Game.
Creating planet JumpTo17-ar with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel <= 2
Creating planet Cephid_17 A with texture stars/white_star.texture and technique - unitlevel <= 2
Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2
WARNING: 0:20: deprecated130(#55) "varing" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "in/out"
WARNING: 0:21: deprecated130(#55) "varing" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "in/out"
WARNING: 0:113: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:119: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:121: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:138: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:141: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:149: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:150: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:160: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We
WARNING: 0:18: deprecated130(#55) "varing" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "in/out"
WARNING: 0:19: deprecated130(#55) "varing" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "in/out"
WARNING: 0:20: deprecated130(#55) "varing" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "in/out"
WARNING: 0:45: deprecated130(#55) "texture2DLod" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "textureLod"
WARNING: 0:103: deprecated130(#55) "textureCubeLod" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "textureLod"
WARNING: 0:133: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:134: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:145: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:146: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL1.3. We suggest usage of "texture"
WARNING: 0:154: deprecated130(#55) "texture2D" is deprecated since GLSL
Compilation of technique earth successful
Creating planet Phillies with texture planets/rock.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToEnyo with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToCardell with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToOldziey with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToEverett with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet JumpToStirling with texture jump.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Cephid_17 B with texture stars/red_star.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Creating planet Wiley with texture planets/molten.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
Compilation of technique fireglass successful
Creating planet Broadway with texture sol/ganymede.texture|planets/rock.texture and technique - unitlevel > 2
using NV_CUBE_MAP
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Crucible/Cephid_17
Next To: Crucible/17-ar
Next To: Crucible/Stirling
Next To: Crucible/Cardell
Next To: Crucible/Enyo
Next To: Crucible/Everett
Next To: Crucible/Oldziey
Loading active missions True
Special/Empty IS NOW AT Crucible/Cephid_17
Special
Showing splash screen!
Launching bases for Crucible/Cephid_17
Unit file engine00 not found
Adding news
conditioning
nonzeroing
finding nonloaded quest
quest_tutorial
finding quest
quest_tutorial
nonpfact
Processing News
Compiling python module bases/launch_music.py
Segmentation fault

I hope you can help. Thanks a lot.

Danny Grimes /Nov8tr (pronounced Innovator, :P)
I'm old not dead. :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: No Music No Voice Linux Mint 15 64 bit

Post by klauss »

What's that "segmentation fault" there?

Did you try building from source?

We have no packages for mint, and although mint is quite similar to Ubuntu, I wouldn't be 100% sure packages are compatible anyway. One difference in ABI in one library, and you'd get segmentation faults (which you did).

You should be able to use a built-from-source binary with the data you've installed from the packages, so no need to download 1G again.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

No idea what the segmentation fault is. I see that it is caused by trying to open py for sound. No I have not trying building it. I haven't done that in so many years I wouldn't even know where to begin. I did just try it would even find the the first folder it just created. So not good. (and that was from just copy and pasting your instructions on the page with install instructions into my terminal ) And OK I'm willing to try to build it from my install folder. The permissions on that entire section (ie:usr/ and usr/share and usr/share/games and even the folder vegastrikes is for root only. So no clue how to do any of this anymore. I've run off premade stuff for years now. I'm 60, disabled and in so much pain I can play, but spending the time to relearn how to do all these, install it, set it up and figure out how to play it again is beyond my scope anymore. If the install is going to be complicated I'm sorry but I will probably not try today. Maybe on another day when the pain is not so bad. If its simple enough I will be willing to try. Thank you for your quick response and for trying to help.

Danny Grimes
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

If you cannot build from source, you have to get the package for the closest Ubuntu.

I'm seeing by googling around, that Mint 15 is based on Ubuntu 13.04.

In that case, set up from our OBS repo for 13.04, and install those packages. You'll have a bigger chance of success like that.
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

Klauss, thnx for the reply. I installed your key. I tried to install the repository per your instructions on the link page. This is what I get:

danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ apt-key add - < Release.key
ERROR: This command can only be used by root.
danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
[sudo] password for danny:
OK
danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_13.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vegastrike-data.list
bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vegastrike-data.list: Permission denied
danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ sudo echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_13.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vegastrike-data.list
danny@deepthought3linux ~ $ sudo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_13.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vegastrike-data.list
As you can see it did not work. So i tried to added the repository to my Synaptic repository list. Then tried to update the cache. I get the following:

Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 195.135.221.134 80]
Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 195.135.221.134 80]
Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 195.135.221.134 80]
Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 195.135.221.134 80]
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Sorry to cause so many problems. I would just give up but I used to really enjoy playing this game years ago. Any ideas now? Thank you so much.

Danny Grimes
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I think synaptic may have messed the URL.

Remove those repos you added with synaptic, and try the instructions again.

For editing system files like that, you can, either do "sudo su" to get a root shell, then you'll be able to edit those files, or you can use this trick:

echo "blabla" | sudo tee -a /etc/blah/blah

(replacing blabla for the right thing, of course).
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard Nov8tr nice to see an other old foggy about :wink: klauss should be be able to walk you though your problem and do feel free to complain if he don't.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sorry, just a heads up: do not forget the "-a" argument to tee, in order to append. If you don't include it, tee will overwrite your files. It's like the difference between >> and >
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

Thanks guys. I'm downloading the 32 bit version of Linux Mint 15 now. It will be done in a few minutes, then I'm going to reinstall the system in 32 bit. I have found trying to game in 64 bit linux any version is a pain the the arse. LOL. So I'd rather lose the ram (I have 12gb) and have a stable gaming system than have more ram, grin. I'll be up for a few more hours then I'll work on it more tomorrow. I'll let you know then how it goes. If I'll have any problems running it in 32 bit I'll be sure to let you know that too, hehe. I don't anticipate any problems actually. Never had any problems running it in 32 bit before, but hey ya never know. Thanks for you time and effort. It is appreciated and I do not take it for granted. Have a great one and talk to ya then. :mrgreen:

Danny Grimes / Nov8tr
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Just FYI, I'm using 64 bits, and never had any issue.

Your problem isn't the 64 bits or not. Your problem is that you're installing from getdeb. It's a broken way of installing stuff. You have to use the repositories in OBS, they will pull in all the proper dependencies, and just work.

Also a heads-up: I just right just now built the package for Ubuntu 13.04. It's quite untested, and I have no 13.04 to test it in. So there might be some issues. But we can only check that after you install from the repo, because installing from a .deb, unless you really know what you're doing, will probably result in a malfunctioning game.
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

OK going to bed now. I got the 32 bit up and running. Installed per your instructions. Added the voice/music and extra texture files and I now have sound, music and Oswald is flapping his lips once again. :) BUT I have another problem now, lol. I have a 24" Asus monitor as my main and I also run a HP 20" as a 2nd monitor. I run them as seperate desktops not cloned. I set the vssetup to 1920x1080 fullscreen. I stretches it across both screens.......argghh. I can run it in a window and it only runs on my main monitor, but i have a toolbar at the bottom covering part of the game screen and of course a bar at top. :( If you got any ideas for this one, I'm game. Thanks!

Danny Grimes / Nov8tr

BTW, thought I'd add the 24" (main monitor) is hooked up HDMI running native 1920x1080 and the 20" (2nd monitor) is hooked up DVI running at native 1440x900
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Nov8tr wrote:OK going to bed now. I got the 32 bit up and running. Installed per your instructions. Added the voice/music and extra texture files and I now have sound, music and Oswald is flapping his lips once again. :)
Great :)
Nov8tr wrote:BUT I have another problem now, lol. I have a 24" Asus monitor as my main and I also run a HP 20" as a 2nd monitor. I run them as seperate desktops not cloned. I set the vssetup to 1920x1080 fullscreen. I stretches it across both screens.......argghh. I can run it in a window and it only runs on my main monitor, but i have a toolbar at the bottom covering part of the game screen and of course a bar at top. :( If you got any ideas for this one, I'm game. Thanks!

Danny Grimes / Nov8tr

BTW, thought I'd add the 24" (main monitor) is hooked up HDMI running native 1920x1080 and the 20" (2nd monitor) is hooked up DVI running at native 1440x900
Um... I never tried dual head setups.

I guess it's probably due to your dual head configuration. See if you can tweak it for full screen apps (you should be able to define a "main" monitor for fullscreen apps, make the 1080p one the main perhaps?)

I'll have to try this a little bit, but I have no ubuntus, so I'll have to download a live DVD and set up a scratch partition. Yack. It'll take time.
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have a dual-monitor set-up and have had no problems running VS,have a look at your xorg.conf file.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

OK back. Thanks for the help. I looked at my xorf.conf file and a copy is below. I went thru the vegastrike files briefly trying to find where it selects the monitor but no luck. I found the different resolutions, etc but no monitor choice. If you can figure anything out it sure would be appreciated. BTW, on a note of interest. i also dual boot Windows 7 64bit. Same monitor setup of course but it works fine there. I do get one voice reading the line behind and one reading the current (Oswald) so it makes it " interesting" to say the least, lol. And one other thing. the saved files are all over the place, neither windows 7 or linux mint 15 put them all in the save folder. They are literally in different files, it doesn't keep you from playing of course. But for those who use "cheats" will have a hard time finding them, grin. Again thanks for the help.

Danny Grimes :mrgreen:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-DFP9"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 11"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-DFP10"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "1920 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-DFP9" "0-DFP9"
Option "Monitor-DFP10" "0-DFP10"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Virtual 3360 1920
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Code: Select all

Virtual 3360 1920
Here is the source of your problem it is set so that you have a virtual screen of 3360 pixels by 1920 pixels use the ATI settings app and use the clone screen option if you have one :shock: change it back when you aren't playing a full-screen game.

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Or just don't use a virtual desktop. You can use two desktops. Then full-screen apps will go into one of the two (the one you mark as the "main" screen).
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

I tried your suggestion of shutting the virtual desktop off just to play. Didn't work. screwed my desktop and taskbars to hell. Fixed. em. I tried running it without the virtual desktop. I tried running it in 2 desktops. The 2nd desktop becomes useless. You can't open any programs in it. You can't put a shortcut ( to launch any program) on the desktop, it automatically, instantly puts it on your main. The only thing I could put there was a taskbar with a clock and window list.display. I tried manipulating the xorg.conf file with no success. X11 auto updates some changes now. (nmm I don't like that) I tried using arandr and that failed miserably. I tried Xinerama and that failed too. It STILL expands the desktop despite tell it not to in the game setup and even setting the game config file failed. I even tried it with a few other games. I am at my wits end. The only thing I have found that works is to play in a box and hide the taskbar so it doesn't hide the bottom of the game screen. Well I'm in my Windows 7 now. I dual boot to seperate hard drives. Win 7 is a SSD w/2 HD for game storage and Mint is a 7200rpm HD. Its odd that the exact same driver version and catalyst control works perfect in Windows and so badly in Linux. I am sorry to say but it would appear that the X11 setup still has some major bugs. :( sigh. I run 2 desktops in Win 7. I can drag across the desktops. I have 3 launher bars. One for Utililty programs. One for single player games. One for MMO's and Mulitplayer games. Both have unique taskbars that fully function. If I open a program on my main. It opens on my main. If i open a program on my 2nd it usually opens on a second. Some system programs wiill still run on my main even if opened in my 2nd desktop. Wish my Linux did that well and it took me like 15 minutes to set that all up on windows easy. Did I mention EASY. Sigh, :( Well gonna head to Mint now and finish fixing my taskbars. :cry:
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

Well I am going to have to do a complete rebuild now. I'v tried fixing it but it is messed up beyond my ability to fix it. :( Going to do a Debian &7 install and then open testing, restricted and non-free repositories.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You are right about X-Windows being primitive when it comes to muti-monitor set-up and usage it has not been a focus for development for X-org they have focused on re-factoring all the legacy code from the old UNIX version.I also dual boot from separate drives with Debian 6(still has Gnome 2 :D ).ATI's Linux support has always sucked and it has not changed that much since AMD acquired them.Still do most of my gaming in Windows because it just works and there is lots more selection.You might try the Win version of VS :wink:

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Still, it might be the buntu's fault. Because I've used openSuse, not with dual monitors per-se, but with laptop LVDS + HDMI TV, and it works fine if you do KDE's configuration well.

I never tried messing with xorg.conf for this, always the GUI.
Wing Commander Universe
Nov8tr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Nov8tr »

Well I'm done with linux for the moment. Too much pain today. And the install went really badly. It would allow me access to sudo. Everytime I restarted the computer it added another of my user modules on the taskbar and another applications and another places. After the 5th restart, the taskbar was smashed together. sigh. And yeah I have the game in Windows. :) works nice. Thanks for the help. Gonna take a break till the pain subsides a bit. Take care.