Miinsg Config File -- Where is the Data directory?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
roguemouser
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Miinsg Config File -- Where is the Data directory?

Post by roguemouser »

I'm running Fedora 18 64 bit, and compiled the code for VegaStrike from Sourceforge. It was a bit confusing at first, because the Wiki said to run vegastrike.run ot set the game up, but that file didn't exist. In the end, I just did configure, make and make install, with no options or flags.

Now when I try to run the game I get an error that it can't find the config file. All my searches on Google say it should be in the data directory, but I can't find that either. I've tried all the usual locations in /usr, and I triple-checked the source directory. And the .vegastrike directory in my home folder is also empty.

Can anyone tell me where to look for the config file? And would it be better to get the SVN version instead of the Sourceforge version?

Thanks. (I don't really know much about compiling software beyond configure/make/make install, so sorry if the answer is painfully obvious to anyone else.)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Miinsg Config File -- Where is the Data directory?

Post by TBeholder »

"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
roguemouser
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by roguemouser »

Thank you. The version I first downloaded, using HTTP/Firefox, seems to be set up a bit differently. SVN got me everything I needed.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Sourceforge has the default link pointing to the source tarball, but you'd still have to go and get the data packages. They're there among the other SF downloads. SF doesn't let us set up several files in the default button, or even no file. So, being forced to pick one, I picked the source tarball.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

And once again, the idea of downloading rulesets+data packs from the main menu (including mods and VS "lite" vs. "full") raises its head?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

TBeholder wrote:And once again, the idea of downloading rulesets+data packs from the main menu (including mods and VS "lite" vs. "full") raises its head?
Yeah. But we have to. Many distributions won't ship a humongus 1G package. And many users will appreciate the choice, especially if you just want engine sources (a few MB vs ~1G).
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Which also neatly solves the problem of... different CC licenses on music files and suchlike?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yeap. Although I've been chasing authors to relicense everything with a GPL lately, and I think I've got it all.
Last custom-licensed stuff was the Sol system, AFAIR.
Wing Commander Universe