Acer Aspire One on Ubuntu 12.04 Game Fails to Start

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Stiofan
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Acer Aspire One on Ubuntu 12.04 Game Fails to Start

Post by Stiofan »

Hi,

I am a new Ubuntu user, and have followed the instructions on GetDeb to the letter (as best as I can tell, anyway). I got no errors when installing.
When I try to run the game, nothing happens.
The HDD begins to spin up but then doesn't, no flickering, etc. Just no Vega Strike.

I am not sure which info would be useful for your diagnosis, nor how to obtain it.

If you send instructions, I'm usually pretty good at following them.

Thanks in advance
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Acer Aspire One on Ubuntu 12.04 Game Fails to Start

Post by klauss »

Just launch VS from the console. Probably a variation of:

Code: Select all

$ vegastrike --debug=3
or
$ /usr/games/vegastrike --debug=3
(or whatever path the binary is in for Ubuntu)

You could also try --debug=2 (since --debug=3 had some problems in some systems)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Stiofan

Post by Stiofan »

Klaus,

Thanks for your reply, when I run vegastrike with the debug argument I get a failure on the video renderer.

It keeps trying to load in 1024x768, even though I have changed this both using the setup app & by chowning the vegastrike.config and changing the #set to 800x600 (The Acer Aspire One has a screen res of 1024x600.

Still no joy. I tried following the maunal for advanced config, but can only find a copy of vegastrike.config in /usr/share/games/vegastrike

Gaaaahhh
Stiofan

Post by Stiofan »

Klaus,

thanks again for your help, turns out I was zigging when I shoulda been zagging...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Stiofan wrote: It keeps trying to load in 1024x768, even though I have changed this both using the setup app & by chowning the vegastrike.config and changing the #set to 800x600 (The Acer Aspire One has a screen res of 1024x600.
Changing the set argument isn't enough. Check out the wiki thoroughly, I think there's a full explanation there. In any case, removing the config file in ~/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config (your home) and re-running vssetup should let you properly set a resolution. IIRC, 1024x600 is available.

If setting your laptop's native resolution still results in error, try to paste the full console output from the last run (do wrap them in Code tags for easier viewing)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe