Cargo wingmen question

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Cargo wingmen question

Post by travists »

Sounds like we are on the same page, I'm just not an advanced enough programmer to be articulate. What I see is using the same code used to save your ships for your fleet, only instead of the save Game saving them in sol as the system it saves them in Mule (I suspect having multiple ships of the same kind already causes issues). Your cargo lists that ship in your inventory. All that is required is two bits of new code one to translate the ship named system into a piggyback tag for that ship the other to allow ships in your fleet to be loaded. The first is the most important, then other things like ship management while on the host vessel can be added.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Quite simply, when you modify a ship of yours, the name ought to be changed to something outside of units.csv and unique. When a name not in units.csv is found, savegame logic serializes it into the savegame (almost automagically).

It wouldn't be hard I guess. I suggest some of you create a feature request or bug report with a link to this thread so we don't forget :)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

I can try to do it myself. Thanks for the pointer.

I did however promise something to the kernel guys that ought to take me one or two weeks to complete. After that, I'm all into fixing cargo wingmen upgrades.

Edit1: funnily enough, all the ships from My fleet including Llama.begin have names which are indeed found in units.csv. Wouldn't it make sense to use take benefit of this "nearly automagic" feature also for the My fleet ships? Besides, I've read somewhere that you can't have two ships of the same type in My fleet. Haven't tested it yet, however that would be possibly true given how the data is currently organized (I'm not sure though, as I said).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

maze wrote:Edit1: funnily enough, all the ships from My fleet including Llama.begin have names which are indeed found in units.csv. Wouldn't it make sense to use take benefit of this "nearly automagic" feature also for the My fleet ships? Besides, I've read somewhere that you can't have two ships of the same type in My fleet. Haven't tested it yet, however that would be possibly true given how the data is currently organized (I'm not sure though, as I said).
That limitation (two ships of the same kind in your fleet) is exactly why I mentioned unique names. I didn't realize it could also benefit my fleet ;)

But yeah, serialized entries take precedence over units.csv, but if you step on a units.csv entry it's not only your ships the one affected, but all of its kind.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Glad things are swimming along!
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

The Sol system has been exceptionally calm, maybe so because the dynamic universe has yet to catch up on my recent exploration frenzy. Anyway, so I decided it was time for another attempt at being a Mule trader. That was a good move.

Instead of jumping on my back in the hundreds, this time the Rlaan only sent two Shizongs, including one which was spawned right at the very center of the earth.

The second one wasn't attacking. When I insulted him, he was content with replying with his radio rather than his gun. So I closed the distance on him at travel speed, using overdrive to accelerate, then turning around and using overdrive again to decelerate during the last 2000 km of the journey as if I was some sort of Apollo capsule; boy that was a fun maneuver to execute.

A brief engagement ensued, at the end of which the enemy made the mistake of executing a frontal pass on my ship, which resulted in his vessel being tractored and secured into my hold.

So I now end up with one cargo wingman complete with a weapon and FTL capacity, albeit totally unmaneuverable due to insanely high governor limits on its rotation speeds. Still, it should be a nice asset as an AI wingman. Anyway, the whole process which lead to its capture made up for a quite enjoyable VS session.

Of course, the reason my wingman isn't weaponless is because being a captured non-player ship, it is a Shizong, while its purchased equivalent would be a Shizong.stock. The ship's still not upgradable. When I think about it, that could be the basis for a workaround, although it would be pretty ugly internally. From a player POV it would be not fun because you'd still have no flexibility in the handling of your cargo wingmen, while by the same token it would be more fun in the sense that it would cut micromanagement, which there is going to be quite a lot of even if we resolve existing issues and improve the interface.

I noticed a bug with the left VDU. When your manifest is too long, you can't scroll to the bottom, because the line which makes the total is scrolled as if it was a normal entry line when you scroll down or up. I'll think about submitting a bug report, if someone's not already done it.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

ship.wingman is not ideal, but would work temporaraly.
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

I was thinking ship.wing0001, ship.wing002, ship.wing003, and so on...